Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 05:05:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New TVMs at Swindon  (Read 2719 times)
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2017, 19:24:44 »

The 2 TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) at Swindon have been replaced by new models. I used one yesterday and it took quite a bit longer to obtain my ticket due to different layouts/options to the previous machines.
I guess they will become familiar in time, but in the short-term this could cause delay for passengers. There were no staff on hand to assist when I bought my ticket but it was a quiet time of day.
Presumably these new machines will start appearing at other stations.
The machine for collecting pre-paid tickets hasn't changed.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 19:36:30 »

Shows how much attention I was paying when I walked past them earlier!!

Is there still the advance purchase collection machine in the booking hall?
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 19:41:47 »

Is there still the advance purchase collection machine in the booking hall?
If that's the pre-paid ticket collecting machine I mentioned - then yes! (Edit: well it was there when I used it on Monday!)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 19:48:27 by Rob on the hill » Logged
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 20:04:16 »

Last Thursday at 06:20 the two new machines hadn't been commissioned and were still wrapped in plastic and the pre-paid machine hadn't woken up yet. Big booking office queue!
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 20:39:07 »

These new TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)'s have also appeared at Didcot Parkway. One has a massive touch screen similar to those used in other retail establishments.
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 20:41:33 »

They were certainly due an upgrade. One of the machines was refusing all cards for a couple of weeks. A particular pain on a card only machine.  Roll Eyes

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 11:58:47 »

Although the card slot is lower down, at least the screen for the PIN terminal is at a better angle and height for those of us over 5ft 6in tall.

Seems the machine at Newton Abbot needs a little attention to detail with regards to the illuminated sign at the top however!

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 15:05:49 »

It also has to be usable by someone in a wheelchair, hence those of us that are over average height will have to put up with bending over. Those in a wheelchair would have a bigger problem trying to stand up.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 16:01:08 »

I don't disagree with that - the problem was more the angle than the height.  If you have varifocal lenses it was nigh on impossible to get your head at the right inclination without pulling a muscle or looking like Quasimodo.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 11:14:56 »

The (additional) machine recently installed at NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) is significantly better than the one that (should be) about to be replaced as I understand that it is also an information point as well as issuer of tickets. However, I can't help thinking that the installed software is from the Microsoft school of programming - namely 95% of the functionality will probably never be used.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: