18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 22:51:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Underground  (Read 17528 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 19:06:06 »

Sounds like a whole lot of money down the drain ...

Until I saw the context of the post, I thought we were headed for Waterloo and City improvements ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 20:43:27 »

Bristol will have a £4bn underground rail network 'within 10 years', says Mayor Marvin Rees

Three lines would connect city centre to Bristol Airport, Emersons Green and Aztec West to the city centre.

Bristol’s elected Mayor has said the city will have its own underground rail system “within 10 years”.

The three-line network would connect Bristol Airport with the city centre and also include lines through the north and east fringes of the city.

Mayor Marvin Rees flew to China on Tuesday, December 5 in a bid to secure private funding for the multi-billion pound London-style system and other city projects.

The Bristol Metro would reportedly cost £4 billion – a substantial portion of the £8.9 billion transport vision drawn up for the Bristol region.

Full article: Bristol Post

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 21:07:23 »

Blimey, is it the 1st April already....... Roll Eyes Tongue Grin
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 23:17:09 »

I am afraid I am not convinced with this plan.

Much better to complete MetroWest, add a few more train lines, add a few trams lines, integrate bus services with MetroWest and trams.

Finally, commit to a fixed annual budget for many years to upgrade all main roads to have separate cycle lines.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:34:44 by simonw » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2017, 01:36:42 »

Ah, but you're not Marvin Rees.  He has his own, quite different, visions of what transport provision could look like in Bristol in ten years.

His term of office is four years, from May 2016.  So, if / when his grandiose plans go pear-shaped, he'll be well out of it by then.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 09:48:18 »

True, but I still think an annual budget on £50-100M a year for five years would deliver MetroWest phases 1|2|3, enhance Metrobus to a point where it might be helpful (and not a distraction), add a few tram lines and improve cycle lanes (and not narrow strips along busy roads).

Creating a Bradley Stoke - Southmead - Bristol Temple Meads underground line sounds wonderful, but I am not convinced Bristol is big enough for a Metro system. A Glasgow style subway loop, under the City Centre, may work well in Bristol provided it links well with existing rail lines. Also, short runs of 'subway lines' between MetroWest stations may also work, but a full Undergound system with a population of about 1M between Bristol, South Glouc and BaNES is probably too much.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2017, 14:13:52 »

True, but I still think an annual budget on £50-100M a year for five years would deliver MetroWest phases 1|2|3, enhance Metrobus to a point where it might be helpful (and not a distraction), add a few tram lines and improve cycle lanes (and not narrow strips along busy roads).

Creating a Bradley Stoke - Southmead - Bristol Temple Meads underground line sounds wonderful, but I am not convinced Bristol is big enough for a Metro system. A Glasgow style subway loop, under the City Centre, may work well in Bristol provided it links well with existing rail lines. Also, short runs of 'subway lines' between MetroWest stations may also work, but a full Undergound system with a population of about 1M between Bristol, South Glouc and BaNES is probably too much.

I like the way you toss the words 'add a few tram lines' into the middle of a sentence  Grin . It is pretty inconceivable that there will ever be an overground light rail solution for North and North-West Bristol, because Gloucester Road and Whiteladies are too narrow. 

It's a crude measure, but London Underground's 400km of routes serve about 9 million people. Marvin's 'plans' have 40km of track serving 1 million. On that basis, it doesn't look completely mad, but I won't hold my breath.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2017, 18:12:43 »

It took about 65 years for Warsaw (pop. ~2 million) to get a metro, from first ideas to the first line opening (2000).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2017, 21:22:46 »

The Burgermasters of Bristol are well adept at throwing taxpayers money at consultants to produce this report or that report and then quietly secreting those reports to history in the basement of the central library on College Green.

With todays technology tunneling techniques being far superior to when much of Londons underground was built but the costs per mile would be far beyond the pockets of the treasury department of Bristol City Council.

As regards Central Government heaving some dosh Bristols way is a non starter as its not London and the home counties.

Whats happened to the areanal, supposedly George had the bulk of the funding in place ready to dig the first sod but was kicked out by the citizens and Marvin it seems has kicked that project into touch and is now trying to forge his own legacy for Bristol until he too gets the boot at the next mayoral elections and a new broom comes along with a stunning revelation to solve Bristols transport problems, a network of cable-cars quietly gliding above the main arterial roads of Bristol radiating out from the central area of the city.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2017, 21:35:54 »

... a network of cable-cars quietly gliding above the main arterial roads of Bristol radiating out from the central area of the city.

... many a true word spoken in jest.  Like Mexicable?

I think the Bath proposal for a cable car has fallen, and when we were in London the other week, we went to try the Emirates Line and found it shut because of high wind.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2017, 22:43:55 »

It took about 65 years for Warsaw (pop. ~2 million) to get a metro, from first ideas to the first line opening (2000).

I know, I know... sounds dizzyingly quick, doesn't it, compared to Portishead? But did they get the proper checks and balances that the GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) process could have delivered, given another half-century?

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2017, 18:23:54 »

Does any other city in the world have an underground bus route connecting stops some distance from the two busiest railway stations?

Now, please!
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2017, 19:12:09 »

By adding a few tram lines, here are a few suggestions

• Bristol Parkway - Mall@Cribbs
  • Southmead - Mall@Cribbs
  • Bristol Airport - Temple Meads
  • Bristol Centre loop

More seriously, why does no one suggest a MonoRail? They are a lot cheaper than undergrounds, and provided we accept MetroWest as the local transport backbone, MonoRail links could then be used to link disconnected communities and places of interest and work.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2017, 19:41:26 »

By adding a few tram lines, here are a few suggestions

• Bristol Parkway - Mall@Cribbs
  • Southmead - Mall@Cribbs
  • Bristol Airport - Temple Meads
  • Bristol Centre loop

More seriously, why does no one suggest a MonoRail? They are a lot cheaper than undergrounds, and provided we accept MetroWest as the local transport backbone, MonoRail links could then be used to link disconnected communities and places of interest and work.

Several cities in the US have 'heritage' tram operations in their downtown areas, e.g. Portland:

Something like this could be pretty good for a loop round The Centre and up to Clifton, especially if it ran on batteries and avoided the issues of putting up OHLE in Bristol's nicest suburb. Other than that, I think any funder would be looking for a system rather than an assortment of point-to-point lines.

I'm not sure I understand the advantages of a monorail - assuming you mean something that runs on the surface, or elevated, then we're back to the problem of finding suitable routes. An underground doesn't have that problem to such a degree.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2017, 19:55:18 »

I'm not sure I understand the advantages of a monorail - assuming you mean something that runs on the surface, or elevated, then we're back to the problem of finding suitable routes. An underground doesn't have that problem to such a degree.

Indeed, just north from Portland, in Seattle, they have had a monorail for ages. When I was there in 2002 they were earnestly debating (as only Americans can earnestly debate) how to expand their urban transport network. The main choices were more monorails, light rail taking over mainline railways, or more buses based on a short tunnel in the centre (confusingly called "Seattle Metro"). In the end they didn't pick monorails, but extended their tunnel to form an underground light rail line (Link) across the whole urban centre, extended to SeaTac airport largely on viaduct. Knowing  how much Americans - even the barely American ones in Seattle - love public spending, that must prove something.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 23:04:46 by stuving » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: