22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 11:17:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[137] access for all at Devon stations report
[102] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[56] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[26] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[16] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[11] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol and transport mess  (Read 6794 times)
simonw

View Profile Email
« on: September 08, 2017, 08:48:08 »

New Job - Transport Delivery Planning Coordinator

Who would have thought that in the same time frame, the powers that be would merge

• Metrobus
  • Filton Four Track
  • Bromley Heath Viaduct
  • Electrification of GW (Great Western) in the north Bristol area
  • Rebuild Bristol Parkway - shutting for a month is not maintenance or upgrade, it is something more significant
  • Filton Abbeywood upgrade
  • GWR (Great Western Railway) - Run down local train fleet due to late arrival of new stock

Whilst all of these activities are worthy (except GWR local fleet rundown), who in their right mind would have allowed them all to happen at the same time?

Every day this week, I have caught the BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) (Temple Meads) <-> FIT (Filton Abbeywood) train, and then had to wait 10-20 minutes for a bus to take 15 minutes to get to BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) (Bristol Parkway). Surely, this could have been better organised? For example, after the Stoke Gifford Link (Metrobus) is open, and GWR fleet up to strength and running reliably.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 17:13:01 by simonw » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:10:08 »

You could add the remodelling of the Temple Circus Gyratory to your list...

However at least four of these activities are inextricably linked - Filton four track is needed to give paths to Stoke Gifford depot (inter alia); Abbeywood is part of that, the depot is needed for electric trains, Parkway is about capacity for said electric trains. The fleet issues are also strongly linked. Complicated business, modernising a railway!

All of these projects are intended to solve problems created by a successful, growing economy - luckily, this is likely to be much less of an issue post-Brexit.

Incidentally (I've got into trouble for suggesting this before, but am I really the only one who finds it confusing?) BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) is so often (incorrectly) used for BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) that it has almost become a standard idiom, but FAW for FIT?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:20:14 »

Whilst many of these jobs are linked, there is no need for all to be concurrent.

Most of the electrification work has been done at weekends and night. Why shut Bristol Parkway for a month to do it?

Bristol Parkway platform 4 was added without shutting the station. Why not just shut platform 2, moving all traffic to 3/4 to allow building of 1 and extending 2? Then traffic could have been moved to 1/2 whilst 3/4 was extended?

Why not delay for a 4-6 weeks until Stoke Gifford Link road was open?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 09:24:21 »

Surely easier to delay the roadworks/buses? The BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) works have been scheduled for at least 12 months, and fit into the wider electrification GWML (Great Western Main Line) works.

Also, a thread below this one (started by you, simonw) refers to a two-week closure - why are you exaggerating in this thread?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 10:12:00 »

Whilst many of these jobs are linked, there is no need for all to be concurrent.

Most of the electrification work has been done at weekends and night. Why shut Bristol Parkway for a month to do it?

Bristol Parkway platform 4 was added without shutting the station. Why not just shut platform 2, moving all traffic to 3/4 to allow building of 1 and extending 2? Then traffic could have been moved to 1/2 whilst 3/4 was extended?

Why not delay for a 4-6 weeks until Stoke Gifford Link road was open?

The Bristol Parkway work is more than just building the new platform.  A new link line is being built and several new signals and points are being added.  Electrification masts are also being installed.

This is already being discussed here http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18454.0 and here http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=16746.0
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:26:00 by SandTEngineer » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 10:14:31 »

Huge new signal gantry went in yesterday too
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 10:22:09 »

Incidentally (I've got into trouble for suggesting this before, but am I really the only one who finds it confusing?) BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) is so often (incorrectly) used for BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) that it has almost become a standard idiom, but FAW for FIT?
Context is key, surely? This is a forum where we write in sentences (mostly) in English. Abbreviations and acronyms are fine, where they're well known, but I don't think that applies to station codes. Certainly not to all 2,500-odd. Of course we have the acronym list on this site, and it's very useful, but it doesn't list FIT (or FAW). In the context of the other place names, FAW was easily understood. FIT probably would have been too, but might have required a little deduction from those not familiar with it.

Personally I'd have written the name out full or more likely just as "Abbey Wood". I see there is an Abbey Wood station in the London area and if, in the Bristol area, I asked for a ticket to "Abbey Wood" I would expect it to be queried just for exactness but I would also imagine the ticket seller would expect it to be "Filton Abbey Wood". If I did the same in London, I probably wouldn't be queried and would get a ticket I didn't want, which would be my fault.

But mainly, we're writing to be read, not to program ticket machines.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 10:31:13 »

Casual readers may not have a clue what BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains), FAW, FIT aren't easily understood by all.

The best form to use is the full station name firstly in the OP (Original Poster / topic starter),  with the (correct) station code in brackets. Thereafter the station code will suffice.

Bristol Temple Meads (BRI) to Bristol Parkway (BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains)) via Filton Abbey Wood (FIT).

Back to the topic. I agree that more should be done to avoid major works clashing across transport systems.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 10:57:13 »

Casual readers may not have a clue what BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains), FAW, FIT aren't easily understood by all.

The best form to use is the full station name firstly in the OP (Original Poster / topic starter),  with the (correct) station code in brackets. Thereafter the station code will suffice.

Agreed - and I think that's what's suggested in the forum's intro pages.  We are not, however, a forum where the moderator and admin team looks to find every slight transgression of our suggestions with a view to stamping on them!

I did wonder about adding a three letter code lookup facility - but then it's the casual readers who would need it most, and it's pretty unlikely that they would be sufficiently casual to be unaware of codes, but not casual enough to actually find that new facility.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 11:41:24 »

I did wonder about adding a three letter code lookup facility - but then it's the casual readers who would need it most, and it's pretty unlikely that they would be sufficiently casual to be unaware of codes, but not casual enough to actually find that new facility.

No need - it already exists! This works both ways - code to name, and name to code. I've found it jolly handy over the years, as long as people use (cough splutter) correct codes.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 12:39:37 »

Firstly, on station codes: Full Station Name (Official Code) must be the clearest way. I expect some of reasons people don't do this are not knowing it's recommended and not thinking of it, considering what they write is clear enough anyway, and perhaps the biggest, writing in a rush. It may take only an extra second to type the full name but looking up the official code is going to add a bit of time. However, we could probably all benefit from writing with a bit more care sometimes.

Adding official station codes to the glossary must be a mammoth task. In mentioning their absence, I didn't mean to say they were lacking.

But I'm not sure about looking them up. The only thing that occurred to me is a booking engine (as Red Squirrel – RSQ? Wink – has posted). Googling "station code filton abbey wood" or "station code fit" also seems to work, at least as long as the station is in Wikipedia, which I expect most are. But again, time.

Secondly, on the topic: Not only do some of these works need to happen together because they are interconnected (and because one big closure probably causes less disruption overall then several small, connected one) but Metrobus is not a rail project. I don't suppose anyone at GWR (Great Western Railway), Network Rail or any of their contractors has any say in its timings, any more than they do in the ongoing water mains works in the Bristol area.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 12:51:00 »

Metrobus is not a rail project.

More's the pity!

There is certainly coordination in the timing of roadworks - for example, Cattle Market Road and Prince St Bridge reopened before the Temple Circus scheme started, and Bromley Heath viaduct had to wait for the completion of the MetroBus M32 junction. I suppose there may be some benefit to be had from coordinating rail projects with roadworks, as bignosemac implies, but my guess is that the costs would outweigh the benefits.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 13:08:44 »

In terms of station codes, I think the context of the post should guide whether the use of the station code is adequate.  For example, a post on the Daytime Traffic on the Trans-Wilts thread could reasonably refer to the 1736 SWI» (Swindon - next trains) to WSB» (Westbury - next trains), and numbers alighting at MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains), without needing to spell them out in full. 
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 15:20:28 »

In terms of station codes, I think the context of the post should guide whether the use of the station code is adequate.  For example, a post on the Daytime Traffic on the Trans-Wilts thread could reasonably refer to the 1736 SWI» (Swindon - next trains) to WSB» (Westbury - next trains), and numbers alighting at MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains), without needing to spell them out in full. 

Indeed it could. It would be less reasonable however if if referred to SWD, WSY and MSM - three-letter codes which look like station codes but, like BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) and FAW, aren't.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 15:45:41 »

Indeed it could. It would be less reasonable however if if referred to SWD, WSY and MSM - three-letter codes which look like station codes but, like BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) and FAW, aren't.

A Swinderby (SWD) to West Byfleet (WBY) - slightly off even from that suggestion - would be an interesting one to market, with little end to end traffic!!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: