Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 04:55 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 05:03:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Service meltdown - advice is to use other means to travel  (Read 35993 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 09, 2017, 06:37:21 »

Well - bang (in theory) goes my trip on the last Weymouth trip of the summer ...

Cancellations Melksham to Westbury at 09:06 and 11:02.  No indication of alternatives.

Phoned the number on the GWR (Great Western Railway) web site (0345 7000 125). Advise offered on option 1 "make you own way to Westbury. We have not been informed of any alternative transport" ... He did tell me I might like to call in again, go for option 4 then option 3 and ask on that combination about other alternatives.

* "Driver shortage".   Poor enough in the first place except on a very rare basis. 
* Why pull an entire line's service rather than thinning out elsewhere?
* Why not provide an alternative?
* Why advise make own way to Westbury?   Bus to Trowbridge then train is practical, to WSB» (Westbury - next trains) is not.
* Why not suggest 08:37, change at Chippenham and Bath, as that IS running and at same fare too.

Apart from the 08:37, first trains from Melksham today are 11:47 to Swindon and 13:02 to Westbury. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 07:05:15 »

Called the number advised ... "don't know what we're doing about replacement yet" ... advise to make own way to WSB» (Westbury - next trains) by taxi and GWR (Great Western Railway) will compensate, with other arrangements made if ongoing connection missed.   When I asked about using the 08:37 via Chippenham and Bath - "I will speak to control team" and having checked what ticket I intend to use (Melksham to Weymouth off peak day return via Yeovil) told me that will be OK.

Which drops me back from the "unit train" to the final Wizard ...

I am assured that TransWilts will be sorted by 13:00 - "just a problem finding a replacement driver this early in the morning" ...

Plan had been for a quiet day / leisure trip with the dogs ... won't be taking them on the much longer run routing, and don't trust driver being found for later shift. Will be interesting to see if there are many GWR staff on the Wizard, bearing in mind they can't find enough staff to drive the trains!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 07:15:34 »

Shortage of units, shortage of train crew, been that way on and off ever since Dft made the winner of the original GW (Great Western) franchise back in 05/06 run the old Wessex franchise. Sure it wasn't perfect but it was a darn sight better than the **** service West rail users have had to put up with for 11 years with little/no investment for which Dft/First should both take responsibility for.

And what he have we got to look forward to? Thames valley hand me downs whilst other new 'regional' service franchises are getting new trains  Sad
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 07:21:15 »

I hope you make it to Weymouth Graham. Weather in the morning looks nice but not too clever in the afternoon.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 07:34:41 »

I hope you make it to Weymouth Graham. Weather in the morning looks nice but not too clever in the afternoon.

Thanks ... looks like fun on the way back too ...

18:28 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads due 21:13
Facilities on the 18:28 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads due 21:13.
Will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 3.
This is due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time.

Just arranged an earlier lift to Melksham Station and late pickup, let the dogs know about the change to our plans, and hoping for a fun day.  Be able to have my monthly alcoholic drink  Grin in Weymouth and hope I don't give any GWR (Great Western Railway) staff on the train on the way back too many negative thoughts about cancelling a whole morning's service!

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 07:49:15 »

Service meltdown also seems to be affecting JOURNEYCHECK too.

Improvement Works.

Between Winchester and Filton Abbey Wood via Bristol Parkway !!!!

Hope today Cathedrals Express Huh destined for said cathedral city doesn't end up at Gloucester instead.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 08:02:56 »

Hope today Cathedrals Express Huh destined for said cathedral city doesn't end up at Gloucester instead.

No problem - perfectly good cathedral in Gloucester  Grin

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 09:05:52 »

No problem - perfectly good cathedral in Gloucester  Grin

Gloucester Rugby are away at Quins today so a visit would be a good idea, all the village idiots will be away for the day, I've already been out for a walk this morning and noticed several figures in cherry and white shirts pointing at planes and running away!  Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 22:21:51 »

Fantastic day thank you; very tired indeed so will write up in the morning.   Most I've done for months.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 00:32:00 »

A pedant writes:

advice.

Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 06:32:58 »

A pedant writes:

advice.

Wink

I have taken your advi*e and changed the thread's title.   Thank you for picking that up.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 08:17:55 »

Fantastic day thank you; very tired indeed so will write up in the morning.   Most I've done for months.

OK ... with the first TransWilts southbound service not running until 13:02, and advise from National Rail and GWR (Great Western Railway) customer service to be make my own way to Westbury and claim,  I switched to the 08:37 northbound and double doglegged via Chippenham and Bath Spa - eventual arrival into Weymouth at 12:22. Journey planner said 12:09 (as you'll see above), but we had to wait for a northbound train at Maiden Newton, then for the pilotman to come across to us.   Rather than the Wizard, that was the unit train following it.

Full credit to station staff at Bath Spa (where I went out of the station to stretch my legs) and on the Weymouth train on leaving Bath with regard ticket checks; I had wondered about a challenge on routing - especially as Melksham to Weymouth day return is cheaper than Bath to Weymouth day return.

Reported elsewhere - 99 passengers on the 08:37 when it left Melksham for Swindon (45 having joined there) - hard to know how many had transferred their plans from the previous and subsequent trains that were both cancelled with no information about replacement.

Around 40 on the 12:09 (scheduled time) arrival into Weymouth - 4 car 2 x 150/2.  Don't have numbers for the 10:57 arrival there (which I could have been on if the 09:06 ex MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) had run) or the 11:45 (Wizard) - that was reported to me by someone who had been on it as "about 200".

Return journey ... on time ex Weymouth on the 17:28 "Weymouth Wizard", with around 128 passengers - part count before Castle Cary, rest of count after we had called there.  Far higher density in the front 2 coaches  Wink .   It was busier prior to Yeovil - more people off there than on.   Started to pick up local traffic at Trowbridge and Bradford-on-Avon where I left the train (would have taken me over 2 more hours to double back to Melksham as the final northbound TransWilts from Westbury had already left) - noting people's surprise at the train that had turned up - "nice train - what's this about".

Hard work for the train manager - short platforms all the way, some of the PA (Public Address) points not working.  About 6 minutes late into B-o-A ... left there on time as for some reason it's scheduled for a 9 minute stop.  My lift (Lisa) and I grabbed a bite then headed back into Melksham - for completeness I called at the station for the 21:34 I would have arrived on.

As reported elsewhere - 21:34 arrival from Swindon was 2 car / 1 in the dark, out of use; -27 + 2 -> 21(ish) ( 48/29 )

Melksham Station pitch black - really need the lights switching on for Saturday evening now that nights are drawing in. Personal view is that there's a significant risk of someone doing themselves serious damage by falling off the platform as the edge can't be seen ... would love to see the risk assessment; perhaps the train's headlights, the slow approach, and the fact that people clear the platform before the train leaves reduces the risk to an acceptable level?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:25:45 by grahame » Logged

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 08:49:19 »

Seen a nice group photo of 20+ people on a friend's Facebook posing with the powercar at Weymouth. several off duty staff in that photo.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 09:10:34 »

Seen a nice group photo of 20+ people on a friend's Facebook posing with the powercar at Weymouth. several off duty staff in that photo.

I have similar photos.  I didn't add any here. I have mixed emotions when I see so many GWR (Great Western Railway) staff gathered in front of a train on the same day that the company has cancelled a whole morning's TransWilts service due to lack of staff. The staff who headed off to Weymouth are probably amongst the greatest advocates and supporters of a decent customer-serving service, and the last ones I want to put in front of my lens and suggest they should have been deployed that day to provide that service.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 09:15:12 »

No meltdown on the Transwilts today Graham.................just the rest of the GWR (Great Western Railway) network!!!  Angry
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: