Delayed
14:02 Westbury to Gloucester
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 15:54:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 429348 times)
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #1950 on: January 01, 2023, 10:18:46 »

.......given the chaos which was going on last night with the flooding near Totnes, and the meltdown which they could foresee this morning, I thought this was a nice customer service touch from GWR (Great Western Railway)Roll Eyes

(The Twitter page proudly states "We are GWR. Here to help between 06:00 and 23:00, 7 days a week.
Let's get back on track!") Irony!

I don’t quite understand the “flooding” issue.  It hasn’t posed a problem in 30 years but in the last 2 or 3 months it’s caused several closures. Maybe NR» (Network Rail - home page) have changed some procedures following Stonehaven. 
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: January 01, 2023, 10:46:45 »

.......given the chaos which was going on last night with the flooding near Totnes, and the meltdown which they could foresee this morning, I thought this was a nice customer service touch from GWR (Great Western Railway)Roll Eyes

(The Twitter page proudly states "We are GWR. Here to help between 06:00 and 23:00, 7 days a week.
Let's get back on track!") Irony!

I don’t quite understand the “flooding” issue.  It hasn’t posed a problem in 30 years but in the last 2 or 3 months it’s caused several closures. Maybe NR» (Network Rail - home page) have changed some procedures following Stonehaven. 

That is correct since Stonehaven NR Geotec have changed the procedures, updated site risk registers etc. 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: January 01, 2023, 14:35:44 »

In previous years when ‘big’ dates such as New Year’s Day have fallen on a Sunday, an enhanced rate of pay was offered. I imagine the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) put a stop to that this year, and as many traincrew have the option to not work it, they have decided not to bother this time.

Yes, as far as I know there is no additional payment being offered across the Christmas and New Year period at all, except for double pay on the 27th December Christmas Day Bank Holiday in lieu.

i can see this unfortunately going on for at least another year.  If the government aren’t prepared to sit down with NHS staff then us rail staff haven’t got a hope at present.
What I think also hampers progress is the government and RDG(resolve) are negotiating with the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) covering all TOCs (Train Operating Company). You would probably find progress would be a lot quicker if the individual TOCs were free to negotiate with the RMT. If you dropped some of the conditions, namely DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)), a blanket closure of all tickets offices and the Sunday working proposals, you would probably find a 5% pay rise would be accepted.
It does need sorting urgently though. Morale is rock bottom, once that’s gone goodwill quickly vanishes well.

I personally can't see this going on for another year. 

The RMT have escalated their action recently, and you may well find ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about)/TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) will do the same. 

That was a step that had to be taken by the RMT, as the limited amount of action they were taking wasn't really getting them anywhere.  IMHO (in my humble opinion) it will force a resolution within a couple of months if situations like next week, where the whole week is wiped out with action, continue on a more frequent basis than they did in the first six months.

That resolution might be the strike collapsing, or it might be a negotiated settlement.  If it's the latter I expect it to be a settlement based on the offers to RMT members that are already on the table, perhaps slightly tweaked so that the RMT and DfT/TOC's can all claim some kind of victory.

Then it remains to be seen what the longer term damage to the industry will be.  I would say probably no line closures as that will look too bad for the Government, but certainly reductions in the number of services and length of trains.  For example, you could see services running once per hour where they currently run every 30 minutes, more shuttle services replacing through trains (North and South Cotswolds might be obvious candidates for that) or the TransWilts going back to its pre-December 2013 timetable.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: January 01, 2023, 15:14:06 »

In previous years when ‘big’ dates such as New Year’s Day have fallen on a Sunday, an enhanced rate of pay was offered. I imagine the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) put a stop to that this year, and as many traincrew have the option to not work it, they have decided not to bother this time.

Yes, as far as I know there is no additional payment being offered across the Christmas and New Year period at all, except for double pay on the 27th December Christmas Day Bank Holiday in lieu.

i can see this unfortunately going on for at least another year.  If the government aren’t prepared to sit down with NHS staff then us rail staff haven’t got a hope at present.
What I think also hampers progress is the government and RDG(resolve) are negotiating with the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) covering all TOCs (Train Operating Company). You would probably find progress would be a lot quicker if the individual TOCs were free to negotiate with the RMT. If you dropped some of the conditions, namely DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)), a blanket closure of all tickets offices and the Sunday working proposals, you would probably find a 5% pay rise would be accepted.
It does need sorting urgently though. Morale is rock bottom, once that’s gone goodwill quickly vanishes well.

I personally can't see this going on for another year. 

The RMT have escalated their action recently, and you may well find ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about)/TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) will do the same. 

That was a step that had to be taken by the RMT, as the limited amount of action they were taking wasn't really getting them anywhere.  IMHO (in my humble opinion) it will force a resolution within a couple of months if situations like next week, where the whole week is wiped out with action, continue on a more frequent basis than they did in the first six months.

That resolution might be the strike collapsing, or it might be a negotiated settlement.  If it's the latter I expect it to be a settlement based on the offers to RMT members that are already on the table, perhaps slightly tweaked so that the RMT and DfT/TOC's can all claim some kind of victory.

Then it remains to be seen what the longer term damage to the industry will be.  I would say probably no line closures as that will look too bad for the Government, but certainly reductions in the number of services and length of trains.  For example, you could see services running once per hour where they currently run every 30 minutes, more shuttle services replacing through trains (North and South Cotswolds might be obvious candidates for that) or the TransWilts going back to its pre-December 2013 timetable.

I can see it going on for another year or at least until inflation drops to around 2% mark. Personally I think that’s why the government aren’t taking negotiations seriously. 
The problem with ASLEF is they haven’t really had an offer made to them, and their dispute is mainly pay related. The ASLEF dispute will be resolved sooner than the RMT.

I can see a reduction in service on some lines but you’d hope that the summer tourism trade will prevent that from happening in the West Country, I can see CrossCountry going no further West than Exeter though.
Leisure traffic will recover quickly once the disputes are resolved.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1954 on: January 01, 2023, 15:46:43 »

Leisure travel will recover just as soon as the action resolves.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: January 01, 2023, 20:41:03 »

I admire your optimism. Leisure travel will recover when people can once again afford to make elective journeys. It ain't just strike action that is the deciding factor in whether someone choses rail for leisure travel.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1956 on: January 01, 2023, 22:00:45 »

I admire your optimism. Leisure travel will recover when people can once again afford to make elective journeys. It ain't just strike action that is the deciding factor in whether someone choses rail for leisure travel.

Indeed.   We find that leisure traffic gets a bit peeved when a service is cancelled or a connection fails even when there's no industrial action.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: January 02, 2023, 07:20:50 »

I can see it going on for another year or at least until inflation drops to around 2% mark. Personally I think that’s why the government aren’t taking negotiations seriously. 
The problem with ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) is they haven’t really had an offer made to them, and their dispute is mainly pay related. The ASLEF dispute will be resolved sooner than the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers).

I can see a reduction in service on some lines but you’d hope that the summer tourism trade will prevent that from happening in the West Country, I can see CrossCountry going no further West than Exeter though.
Leisure traffic will recover quickly once the disputes are resolved.

On top of the current Rail, Postal, NHS, Boarder Force it is likely the Fire Services potentially Teachers and there are rumblings within the PCSO's (they are not covered by the same Law as Police Officers) will be hit by strikes in a few weeks.    All this Industrial action in the public sector will be feeding into the Tory party's next manifesto, they will put draconian Trade Union legislation into the manifesto for the next General Election on top of the kneejerk legislation they are planning to bring in the next few weeks. 

In the longer term being a direct employee in the Public sector will not be seen as an attractive career with more and more being Agency because it pays more with better choice of hours .................. who pays .............. us with higher taxes and degraded services

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: January 02, 2023, 07:43:08 »

3 out of the first five early morning Plymouth to Paddington trains cancelled. Thereafter, not looking too bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: January 02, 2023, 07:56:46 »

I wouldn't worry - these new fangled motor cars will never catch on.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1960 on: January 02, 2023, 07:59:26 »

3 out of the first five early morning Plymouth to Paddington trains cancelled. Thereafter, not looking too bad.

Indeed.  People can still make most (? stopping patterns) journeys and I would not expect there to be a capacity issue

Do I dare contrast this?

1 out of one early morning Swindon to Westbury trains cancelled

People who wished to take the 06:11 will find there is nothing for a further 2.5 hours.    GWR (Great Western Railway)'s journey planner for passengers going to Southampton Central where that train was supposed to terminate at 08:09 are recommending the 08:48 from Swindon with 2 changes at a cost of £72.60 (versus £33.40) and an arrival time of 10:55 (yeah, I could do better than the GWR planner on timing and price!).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: January 02, 2023, 08:03:22 »

Lack of sets at Plymouth to form the services.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1962 on: January 02, 2023, 08:07:03 »

Hmmm ... should I believe you, or JourneyCheck

04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington due 08:35

04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington due 08:35 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.

Actually ... I believe you!

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: January 02, 2023, 08:45:14 »

Hmmm ... should I believe you, or JourneyCheck

04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington due 08:35

04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington due 08:35 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.

Actually ... I believe you!

Quite possibly shortage of trains and crew?
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: January 02, 2023, 09:03:14 »

.....If you dropped some of the conditions, namely DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)), a blanket closure of all tickets offices and the Sunday working proposals, .....

The apparent proposals for more DOO and closure of all ticket offices are, in my opinion, completely bonkers and inappropriate but it really is about time that railway staff accepted their world of work has changed and they accepted being contracted, on a rota basis, to turn out for some weekends & public holidays.

Do we know what the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) has proposed in terms of new weekend/public holiday working and why, apparently, the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) (and at least one driver!) are opposed?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: