Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:59:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 139
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of train crews on Great Western Railway since September 2017 - ongoing discussion  (Read 430122 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: July 09, 2021, 16:53:19 »

From GWR (Great Western Railway).com

Changes to train services Sunday 11 July
An amended timetable will be in operation on Sunday 11 July due to a significant number of staff having to self-isolate following notification from test and trace.

Where possible customers will be contacted and advised of cancellations affecting their journey.

Customers wishing to travel can choose to travel on alternative services immediately before or after their booked service or claim a full refund with no admin fee if their service is affected.

Find out more about claiming a refund or rebooking your journey.

Where services can operate, they are expected to be busier than normal. Please check before you travel.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1561 on: July 09, 2021, 17:03:17 »

An amended timetable will be in operation on Sunday 11 July due to a significant number of staff having to self-isolate following notification from test and trace.

"Interesting decision from the ref there, Ron. Might have to go to VAR..."

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: July 09, 2021, 17:04:26 »

"Interesting decision from the ref there, Ron. Might have to go to VAR..."

..............there's a lot of it about you know.........

https://www.itv.com/news/border/2021-07-09/northern-warns-weekend-of-disruption-following-covid-outbreak-among-rail-staff
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: July 09, 2021, 17:29:26 »

A cynic might suspect that rail staff wanting time off for the football or for any reason might be deliberately going near to persons with covid, in order to activate the track and trace system.
Or to be more exact only their smart phone has to be within range not the owner of the phone.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: July 09, 2021, 17:55:16 »

A cynic might suspect that rail staff wanting time off for the football or for any reason might be deliberately going near to persons with covid, in order to activate the track and trace system.
Or to be more exact only their smart phone has to be within range not the owner of the phone.

I've been lucky enough to attend some memorable sporting events in my time (mostly at Twickenham/Murrayfield/Paris/Dublin/Cardiff) , and even been to some pretty good BBQs, but I wouldn't put my life at risk by exposing myself to a virus that is killing millions of people for either, and frankly I doubt anybody with an IQ above single figures would to be honest.

I'm sure it's a coincidence and that the cynicism is unjustified on this occasion.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1565 on: July 09, 2021, 17:58:48 »

I always used to go shopping in the supermarket on FA cup final afternoon. Wonderfully quiet and I don't give a **** whether it's Aston Villa or Stenhousemuir who win it.  I suspect that passenger numbers, with the singular exception of journeys to / from Wembley (is that where the match will be played?) will be down on Sunday, and there is an element of sense in planning ahead of time to thin out the Sunday service ahead of time rather than last-minute and potentially successive-train cancellations.

Let's be short term pragmatic and say "sensible call a couple of days ahead" - as I understand at, no-one would have expected / given short odds on England (they're playing, right?) in the match, so hard to plan for too much ahead.   With the exception of trains that take real live people too and from the match, I would not expect overcrowding and if travelling otherwise on the day, much happier to know I can catch the 10:15, 12:15 or 14:15 than turn up for any :15 train and have a 50% cancellation possibility.

The "self isolate" reasoning looks thin - it could be a contributory cause, but other causes still include Sunday practises and running a tight ship with few "spare" drivers, and it does the rail industry little credit with those of us who know to give the excuse as self-isolation.  Perhaps most others take the reason give and believe it, and perhaps that's good marketing, even if it smells a bit fishy to those with trained noses.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: July 09, 2021, 18:12:27 »

If the problem is Covid self isolation then I would expect it to last for most of the week.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: July 09, 2021, 18:32:30 »

COVID isolation are not helping the situation at all, but, yes, it’s a massive stretch to claim that’s the sole reason for any cancellations.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: July 09, 2021, 18:37:24 »

I would have thought if there were any doubt in individual cases, staff could be asked to provide a screenshot of the instruction to isolate that they've received?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: July 09, 2021, 19:15:40 »

I would have thought if there were any doubt in individual cases, staff could be asked to provide a screenshot of the instruction to isolate that they've received?

Why should they be any different to people employed in any other business; I am sure other employers do not ask for such proof 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: July 09, 2021, 19:39:02 »

Difficult if the instruction to isolate is received by telephone.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: July 09, 2021, 19:40:10 »

Why should they be any different to people employed in any other business; I am sure other employers do not ask for such proof 

I am sure they do, hence the NHS provide a facility to obtain it

https://111.nhs.uk/isolation-note/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1572 on: July 09, 2021, 19:46:13 »

From the days of running a (much, much) smaller business, there were just one or two times - over all the years - that I was concerned at a difference between the real reason and the stated reason for calling in sick (and quiet research confirmed the difference).  But that (1) person who was not with us very long could so easily have spoilt the trust for everyone.  For a much bigger business, much harder and I can understand the need to have a standard system.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: July 09, 2021, 21:43:08 »

Couldn't you just put a customized sat nav in each drivers cab to show where you are, where you are going, what speed you should be doing, where the next signal is, where the next station is, how long it will take to reach them at your current speed plus any other relevant information?

Problem solved. No route knowledge needed.

Oh, maybe not. I've just remembered it's the railway. It would come in way over budget and never work as it was supposed to eventually being scrapped before introduction.  Sad

Sorry to say, but it wouldn't be particularly realistic on its own.

That screen would need a lot of info displayed at once to be realistic in matching what a driver and train manager learns as part of the route knowledge.

To give some examples.

Line speed on a display and how far to next station and signal is all well and good, but if I'm doing 125mph, I want to know the route, I want to know where appropriate places are to start braking for the next station, taking into account various speeds I may be doing if I'd been on restrictive signals.

What if the sat nav loses signal, I'm approaching a signal in an area I've not signed, is the signal giving the correct indication for the route I need to be taking. Will it give enough notice that I'm going to go over a junction where I need to get the speed down to 40mph? Yes for this sort of thing there are indications the signal can give you, but it's the route knowledge that defines what you do with information that the signal presents.

Don't want to take this too off topic so won't keep listing reasons for route knowledge being important, but give me a train that is crewed up with staff that have learned the route over a train with staff and a customised sat nav any day.

Closest you will get to what you describe is places like the Thameslink core or some underground routes which have automatic operation, but even then, someone is required on board still, and they need the appropriate knowledge to be able to take control.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: July 09, 2021, 22:54:29 »

I was suggesting that the instruction to isolate might be genuine, but that this instruction results from deliberately placing the phone near a person known to be or suspected to be infected.

Example; person A has the virus and persons B, C, and D who were near A self isolate as instructed by the app. Persons E, F, and G, then hear of this and and go near A. Screenshot no help here as the instruction really was received.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 139
  Print  

Jump to: