Train RunningCancelled
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 14:02:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[140] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[127] access for all at Devon stations report
[55] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[6] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why you should ride on the top deck  (Read 3967 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2017, 11:09:05 »

It's so that you can see the people playing on the bus shelter roofs!

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/arts/tiny-tableaux-spotted-top-bristol-bus-shelters/

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bus Queen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 08:18:23 »

This Bus Queen sits top deck for the best views front seat top deck is the best way to travel.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 09:11:03 »

Indeed - but right hand side to avoid most of the low branches crashing in front of you.

Bus Queen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 15:46:28 »

Waiting for a branch to crash against the window is all part of the fun.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 16:07:09 »

Hmm ... I thought low branches, low bridges and delivery vans in narrow Rodes were amongst the things that put bus operators off certain potential routes!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 17:42:10 »

Hmm ... I thought low branches, low bridges and delivery vans in narrow Rodes were amongst the things that put bus operators off certain potential routes!

I use a route to travel into the nearby city which was operated by single deckers until the bus operator decided passenger usage warranted the use of double deckers on the route. To be fair on the operator they did run a 'clearance run' and noted a number of instances where overhanging tree branches were (in danger of) fouling the upper deck and notified the LA of their concerns and locations. The LA claimed that they had no budget and could't be arsed to do anything.

On the first day of the 'double decked' service the third outbound service of the day from the city collided with one of the obstructions identified and knocked out the front upper deck windscreen. The LA then found the finance to instruct a tree surgeon to carry out some tree loping work THE NEXT DAY.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 17:51:15 »

Not if it is an open topper ...
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 17:53:13 »

Not from a drivers point of view  Cry

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 17:55:07 »

I use a route to travel into the nearby city which was operated by single deckers until the bus operator decided passenger usage warranted the use of double deckers on the route. To be fair on the operator they did run a 'clearance run' and noted a number of instances where overhanging tree branches were (in danger of) fouling the upper deck and notified the LA of their concerns and locations. The LA claimed that they had no budget and could't be arsed to do anything.

On the first day of the 'double decked' service the third outbound service of the day from the city collided with one of the obstructions identified and knocked out the front upper deck windscreen. The LA then found the finance to instruct a tree surgeon to carry out some tree loping work THE NEXT DAY.

Not in Cornwall this year

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 22:36:05 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Bus Queen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 10:31:44 »

Hopefully no operator would be that foolish to use an open topper on a route with overhanging branches

didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 12:21:06 »

For circumstances far to complex to go into, many years ago I was on an open top bus tour around Oxford in full American Football kit promoting a charity darts event in the city (I was sat next to Leighton Rees). Unfortunately the route selected included a road with very dense overhanging trees. It was handy in these circumstances to be wearing a helmet.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:35:39 by didcotdean » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 12:24:17 »

Think that post asks more questions than it answers!   Grin Grin
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 12:35:01 »

That was its purpose Smiley

Leighton Rees was quite an American Football fan through his wife coming from California.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 18:40:00 »

I have a happy memory from my days rattling a tin on the Bristol Omnibus Company's Carol Bus - an elderly open top KSW as I remember it. We were heading out along Stapleton Road at what seemed like breakneck speed with Santa on the fo'c'sle, waving to some folks behind us, when some quick-witted chap cried our Saviour's name (including His middle name, whcih it turns out is surprisingly profane) and heaved Father Xmas off his podium just as the bus passed under Stapleton Road railway bridge. Could have made a rather gruesome addition to that year's Crimbo decorations.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: