Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:34:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Advance Tickets At Bath Spa  (Read 8306 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2008, 23:33:18 »

Interesting quote from the Billyo blog (link below) :
http://billyosstressrelief.blogspot.com/2008/02/hidden-charges.html

Quote from: billyo
Anyway, I decided I was not going to pay a ^3.50 tax to buy my tickets on line, so I decided I would get them in person at Bath Spa station on my way home. I arrived at 7.30 and there were two windows open at the ticket office. Both were devoid of customers. However I was told that I could only buy tickets for that day. Or tomorrow. But not Saturday. Why not? Apparently the advance ticket windows are only open until 7 pm. It used to be that then one of the windows would become "All Tickets", but now there is no room for flexibility. Even when there are two people serving, and just one person to serve.

I suppose they want people to go on-line and pay the outrageous tax.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 23:38:06 »

Does Bath Spa have a FastTicket machine?

http://tickets.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/ Smiley
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 15:51:13 »

Ummmm me thinks FGW (First Great Western) may be breaking ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) rules? there has to be a ticket window to sell "all tickets" if the ticket office is open, the only thing that may have happened was a network fault, where no reservations can be made because something is wrong with the national reservation system???
willc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 16:05:51 »

FGW (First Great Western) aren't the only offenders here. On a recent visit to Hereford, run by Arriva Wales, I saw notices plastered across the booking office counter windows announcing that although it is open until 6.30pm, no advance tickets would be sold after 6pm. What could they be selling there that takes half-an-hour to issue? Or are they too busy cashing up, ready to dash off on the dot of 6.30, to bother about giving their customers a proper service?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 16:17:44 »

Problem with advance fares is that some old biddy can usually turn up and start enquiring about a journey for her great grandson that hasn't been born yet who's travelling in 22 years time for his university graduation, then people who actually need to travel right then have to queue up behind them, well, slightly synical but you get the jist.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 22:57:00 »

Ah, you've obviously met my mother-in-law, vacman?  Grin

However, on a much more positive note: advance tickets at Bristol Temple Meads!

I have a very important meeting in Taunton this Saturday, so I did some research on the website and I found what I thought was the best ticket option. However, as I wanted to 'pay' for the tickets with some of the very welcome travel vouchers that FGW (First Great Western) keep sending me, I called in at the 'advance ticket' office at Bristol Temple Meads this evening, to actually 'buy' my tickets.

Not only did the excellent chap behind the counter take all this without a blink, he also found me an even cheaper way of doing it!  Fair play to - well, I'll just call him 'D', to avoid any embarrassment.

Credit when it's due: when FGW staff get it right, they really can get it right!

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 23:11:52 »

Well said, Chris - and some much deserved good luck for yourself there as well.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 20:55:09 »

Chris - it's the ticket office's job to find you the best deal if you ask for it. Any train operator should do what you say!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 22:43:39 »

Billyo mentioned a tax. I presume he's talking about credit card fees and collection from ticket machine fees and all that? Some operators don't make these charges including (I thought) FGW (First Great Western) and NXEC (National Express East Coast).
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 04:04:50 »

thetrainline based operators generally do make a charge nowadays, as thetrainline have shown that they can get away with it.

NXEC (National Express East Coast) is an entirely new booking engine and I'm told that the facility isn't currently in there to make additional charges if buying tickets with a credit card.
WashuChan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 13:14:22 »

I've generally found the best thing to do is to go to National Rail's website, look up the tickets from there and then purchase them, its how I'm getting to Bath Spa from Fareham for ^3.95 on Thursday and then from there to Didcot for ^3.30 more.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 19:49:27 »

Just to confirm I booked 1st class return KX to Edinburgh for ^93 using NXEC (National Express East Coast), pick up tickets at Bristol Self Service Machine and no fees for either that or paying by Amex. You can even book tickets from Bristol to London using that site and pick up your tickets at Bristol!

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 14:26:14 »

YES IT DOES
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 14:27:58 »

YES IT DOES.  They did have some teething problems but they seem better behaved now.

I book my advanced fares on teh Chiltern railway site, and collect them from the machine at Bath.  There is no extra charge for this and FGW (First Great Western)'s cheap fares are available.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 15:02:15 »

YES IT DOES.  They did have some teething problems but they seem better behaved now.

It's a shame that comment couldn't be applied to 1 or 2 of the staff there.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: