Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 06:29:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 549373 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: November 03, 2018, 10:36:03 »

Whilst 7 car is an improvement over 5 car, I have serious misgivings about this idea.

My natural cynicism leads me to assume that the idea is primarily to REDUCE train lengths. Going on the project so far, it seems likely that any 7 car units would be used as a downgrade from a 9 car or a 5+5 and not a way of lengthening a service planned to be 5 car.

I might even suspect that Hitachi and GWR (Great Western Railway) are trying to "creep away" from the original promise that all services that need to be full length, will be either 9 car or 5+5. Extend a few 5 car units to 7 car, and rebrand these as "full length"

So after years of disruption and promises of more capacity, we would end up with new 7 car DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) replacing 8 car HSTs (High Speed Train), but with under floor engines, no buffet, only 36 first class seats, and hard seats.
How's that for progress?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #1126 on: November 03, 2018, 11:36:54 »

Maybe it's a way to reinstate a buffet in a new coach and put more seats into the end coach. They will have a lot coaches with cabs over unless they eventually replace the short HST (High Speed Train)'s

Devon and Cornwall have certainly been short changed in regards to new rolling stock still getting cascaded 158's and 150/2's
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 03, 2018, 11:40:34 »

Maybe it's a way to reinstate a buffet in a new coach and put more seats into the end coach. They will have a lot coaches with cabs over unless they eventually replace the short HST (High Speed Train)'s

Devon and Cornwall have certainly been short changed in regards to new rolling stock still getting cascaded 158's and 150/2's

Ahem,  What about the HST GTi then.....?
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #1128 on: November 03, 2018, 11:41:14 »

Also when is GWR (Great Western Railway) going to risk an 802 on the 18.03 Paddington to Penzance. I was booked on one a few weeks ago but at the last minute it was changed to a HST (High Speed Train).
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: November 03, 2018, 12:22:17 »

An interesting comment from a GWR (Great Western Railway) Insider on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum....
If the passenger figures justify it there is already talk that the production line could be opened to extend the length of some 5 cars and do away with a proportion of the multiple working. My Hitachi contact informs me that it is a relatively simple job to insert two 'lightweight standards' (38t) into the 5 cars but that a completely standard fleet of nine cars is not justifiable at the moment.

As it stands, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's not comparing like with like - the real alternative is a few more 9-cars; a "completely standard fleet of nine cars" is no more realistic than a mix of the existing nines and only sevens. And operationally it would be a mess, surely? But we don't now the actual question it might have been an answer to.

I thought there was some information from Hitachi that even-length trains would have half their vehicles motored, with one trailer more if odd-length - but that may have been my/our inference instead. In any case this idea breaks that "rule", at a cost in performance. The original designs included an eight-car variant, which was like a nine with the central MES2 taken out. If adding TS2s (38.1 t tare) is as easy as that post suggests, you could take one of those out of an 8-car, and then the two vehicles added to a 5-car would be an MEC3 (or MES3 - 49.4 t I think) and a TPS (41.0 t). More weight, obviously, but more power too.

Incidentally, that TPS looks an odd code - there certainly isn't a pantograph on it is there? However, there is a 25 kV insulator on the corner to feed power downwards, so obviously it has a transformer (though as I said earlier that should have a code letter X). That suggests that each transformer weighs 2.9 t and can supply 2.5 MW but nor 3 MW.

(Sorry about the dark picture, but they stop in the stygian underdeck at Reading - hence no picture from above either.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 13:39:47 by stuving » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 03, 2018, 12:42:03 »

It was obvious right from the start that we would see 5 car sets running in lieu of 8/9/10 sets and this has been the case ever since the 800s commenced operations just over a year ago. A degree of understanding could have been given at the start but this is still happening now. When you couple this with talk of 5 car sets have additional carriages being added, it’s quite clear that the practice of running 5 car in place of longer sets isn’t going to stop and that Dft have got it wrong.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 03, 2018, 13:10:48 »

So after years of disruption and promises of more capacity, we would end up with new 7 car DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) replacing 8 car HSTs (High Speed Train), but with under floor engines, no buffet, only 36 first class seats, and hard seats.
How's that for progress?

My goodness........you are as big a cynic as I am  !!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 03, 2018, 13:15:32 »

How's that for progress?
My goodness........you are as big a cynic as I am  !!

.... and me.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: November 03, 2018, 13:24:25 »

It was obvious right from the start that we would see 5 car sets running in lieu of 8/9/10 sets and this has been the case ever since the 800s commenced operations just over a year ago. A degree of understanding could have been given at the start but this is still happening now. When you couple this with talk of 5 car sets have additional carriages being added, it’s quite clear that the practice of running 5 car in place of longer sets isn’t going to stop and that Dft have got it wrong.

My experience of at least three other downgrades resulted in my forecast that single 5 car units would be a regular feature on services previously operated by a full length HST (High Speed Train)

I can not support adding a third train length to an already complex mixture.

Better IMO (in my opinion),  to make all the 9 car units into 10 car by adding a proper full sized hot buffet car, not a microbuffet, or a minibuffet, or a static trolley, but a proper buffet car that serves freshly made coffee, and freshly cooked bacon rolls and the like.
Add 6 more first class seats to the composite vehicle by removing 12 standard class seats.
Remove 4 standard class seats from each of 4 vehicles to give more table seats and luggage space.
Add about 48 standard class seats in the new buffet car.
Net result-------6 more first class seats---------20 more standard class seats, and an additional gain in capacity by VOLUNTARY standing in the buffet whilst taking refreshment.
And a much better specified train that despite the underfloor engines feels more like an inter city train and not a regional DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit).

Then make perhaps 12 of the 5 car units into another 12 full length 10 car units, layout as above.

Keep some 5 car sets for lightly used services and those routes not originally worked by HSTs.

That would keep a fleet of only two types of train rather than adding a third sort. ALL busy long distance services would be the improved 10 car units.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 03, 2018, 14:18:57 »

I can not support adding a third train length to an already complex mixture.

5 Car, 7 Car, 9 Car, 10 Car, (12 Car ?) - can you imagine the complete shambles the seat reservation system would dissolve into ? .......and as to where you would stand on the platform to line up with your Class of travel on the train .............
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: November 03, 2018, 15:26:00 »

Incidentally, that TPS looks an odd code - there certainly isn't a pantograph on it is there? However, there is a 25 kV insulator on the corner to feed power downwards, so obviously it has a transformer (though as I said earlier that should have a code letter X). That suggests that each transformer weighs 2.9 t and can supply 2.5 MW but nor 3 MW.

It’s a TpS rather than TPS, with the small ‘p’ meaning powered as it has its own transformer, auxiliary powers supply and link to the 25kV busline.  Definitely no pantograph!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: November 03, 2018, 15:33:10 »

Indeed.
There is something to be said for having two train lengths, but more than two adds ever growing complexity.

Lengthening 5 car units to 6, 7, or 8 vehicles is not so smart because they then cant run in multiple in passenger service as most platforms are not long enough.

Lengthening 9 car units to more than 10 car is not realistic for the same reason.

So that leaves the only sensible options as.
5 car into 9 car
5 car into 10 car
9 car into 10 car.

A mixture of 9 car and 10 car (not 5+5) is not ideal but acceptable, especially as an interim measure. Reservations would be based on the 9 car trains with the extra vehicle being non-reservable.
First class could be always at one end as on a proper inter city train, rather than in two different and random locations as on a regional DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit).

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1137 on: November 03, 2018, 15:40:10 »

First class could be always at one end as on a proper inter city train, rather than in two different and random locations as on a regional DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit).

It does get a bit confusing ... even to the railway's systems ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: November 03, 2018, 15:54:57 »

It does get a bit confusing ... even to the railway's systems ...

With GWR (Great Western Railway)'s mania for joining trains together, the 08:25 is obviously a 16 car HST (High Speed Train) !
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: November 03, 2018, 16:19:13 »

It’s a TpS rather than TPS, with the small ‘p’ meaning powered as it has its own transformer, auxiliary powers supply and link to the 25kV busline.  Definitely no pantograph!

From what I've seen, Tp (it was T(p)) is Hitachi's functional type code, which defines what can go where in a unit and it still work, but TPS is painted on its end. The same apples to the 'e' meaning "has engine", and some of the numbers in functional types also appear in paint (along with S, C, or F) - but not necessarily in the same order.

As to where bits like the power converters and APS go, I only have a scruffy little diagram showing them as part of the combined "Traction/APS system" on motor vehicles. That looks logical, given that they do have to operate powered solely by the on-board GUs on 800/802s. How intermediate power is routed from transformer to APS is less clear to me - and is it AC (up to 1800 V) or DC (Direct Current) (up to 3000 V)? Either way it's one of the reasons for all those big cables between the carriages!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: