Train Graphic
Great Western Passengers' Forum Great Western Coffee Shop - [home] and [about]
Read about the forum [here].
Register and contribute [here] - it's free.
 17/12/2018 - Removal of Severn Bridge Tolls
22/12/2018 - Christmas service changes
04/01/2019 - Look forward - 2019 Severnside
07/01/2019 - JSP consultation closes
10/01/2019 - CHRUG
14/01/2019 - TWSW Board
Random Image
Train Running @GWR Twitter Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail News GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4 Chat on off
December 15, 2018, 08:38:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most liked recent subjects
[154] Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion
[63] IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent pe...
[58] New Stations for Bristol Commuters
[53] NR/RIBA Footbridge Design Ideas Competition
[46] Daytime Traffic on the TransWilts
[45] Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 82
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 97151 times)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: July 19, 2018, 05:47:13 pm »

Was somewhst amused by the announcement on a Bristol Temple Meads to Paddington train this morning, which was along the lines of "this is a 9 carriage train and for those unfamiliar with them, it has the feature that you can walk right along it, and all the first class is at the front'.

Later overheard a conversation he had with clearly a regular in that service that he was fed up of verbal abuse when it is 5 only.
SandTEngineer
Transport Scholar

In a Linemans Hut in the far Southwest

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 19, 2018, 07:29:11 pm »

This was posted on the WNXX forum (19/07/2018) by a GWR 'Insider':
Text sent out by RMT ending the agreement whereby a customer host can be in one half of a ten car IET rake and a guard in the other. Allegedly this follows an on board incident, so the RMT insist on a guard in each unit from now on. What do they do on Voyagers was the question asked of me this afternoon. Answer is I don't know, but one thing is certain, GWR do not have enough guards, so expect a lot more 5 cars or tens with 5 locked out. Wonderful.

Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
[Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3]
Charlie (in Gloucester)
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 19, 2018, 10:01:14 pm »

GWR do not have enough guards, so expect a lot more 5 cars or tens with 5 locked out. Wonderful.

Ah, letís just cancel the training because we do not trust that Customer Hosts can get the job done. Or, remove half the train and impress all the passengers. RMT make the best impression..

Regular GWR user between Gloucester and Swindon.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 24, 2018, 01:11:43 pm »

I see that half length IETs have returned today, about 6 I think.
Not as bad as some previous events but still far from impressive for new and very expensive units.

Stated as being due to breakdowns and not staff shortage.

"When customers say that they want a seat, they dont mean they want to sit with their knees behind their ears so that 4 more can sit down. They mean that they want an extra coach so that 74 more can sit down"
"Capacity on intercity routes should be about number of vehicles, not compressing people"
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 24, 2018, 01:13:16 pm »

Suspect one 10 car formation may have been split to provide the five cars for the additional 12:33 Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads to take pressure off the 12:30 to Penzance via Bristol.
ray951

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 24, 2018, 01:27:23 pm »

Are there more 9 car IET's running, as I have noticed a couple of services on the Cotswold Line that were previously HST's? The services were the
0710 Moreton-In-Marsh to Paddington and the 1522 Worcester Shrub Hill to Paddington.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 24, 2018, 01:32:00 pm »

Not sure of total numbers but there are currently nine cars on both the 13:36 Paddington to Cheltenham Spa and the 14:15 to Cardiff Central.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:45:51 pm by bobm » Logged
Charlie (in Gloucester)
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 24, 2018, 02:33:24 pm »

By 03/10, all services between London and Gloucester/Cheltenham will be IETs. 10 cars will be cleared for the line by the end of August just after Stonehouse is complete.

Charlie (in Gloucester)
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 26, 2018, 08:32:08 pm »

Concerning at Kemble where the driver had overran the platform and ASDO (of course) opened the doors in coach A. Luckily, the passengers leaving checked before looking down however others would have been in a different situation.

IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 26, 2018, 09:02:02 pm »

The driver still has to give door release after which ASDO takes over, so doors opening when not on platforms should not happen!

To view my cab run over the new Reading Viaduct as well as a relief line cab ride at Reading just after Platforms 12-15 opened and my 'before and after' video comparison of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/1
paul7755
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 26, 2018, 09:15:29 pm »

The driver should realise he over-ran and not release, but I reckon it wouldnít be automatically prevented.  My understanding of the fairly typical modern ASDO gear as used on SWR Desiros is that it doesnít detect stop shorts or over-runs.  Still relies on the driver hitting the right stop marker.

The 458/5s on the Reading side have a less complex system where each carriage has a sensor that makes its own decision, and so guards against stopping short, but not an over-run.

Paul
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 26, 2018, 10:51:50 pm »

Yes, Paul - that was my point.  It should not happen as the driver should realise they have overrun.  If they have overrun (it's not difficult to work that out) then they should not operate the door release buttons.  If they do then ASDO will not indeed not come to their rescue.

To view my cab run over the new Reading Viaduct as well as a relief line cab ride at Reading just after Platforms 12-15 opened and my 'before and after' video comparison of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/1
Charlie (in Gloucester)
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 26, 2018, 11:36:42 pm »

Say this was during staffing hours surely the driver would have taken the appropriate action? If Iím honest there were two train managers who showed no interest at all, and Iím sure a report would have had to of been filed if appropriate action was taken.

What is the procedure of over runs? I have watched a SWT overrun video and it explains about local door open yet the driver releases the door as usual. I should have taken a photo in the end but I didnít want to delay the already delayed train.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 27, 2018, 05:42:24 am »

20 half length services today, yes a FRIDAY.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #689 on: July 27, 2018, 07:25:03 am »

20 half length services today, yes a FRIDAY.

I may be talking slightly out of turn here ... but if 5 car IETs were to be used on the diagrams from which that Adelantes (class 180) were withdrawn a short while back, would there still be a problem?   Looking at where there are short formations, though, they do appear to be different diagrams to the old Adelante ones, with some seriously busy services involved.

Coffee Shop Admin, Member of Melksham Rail User Group, on the board of TravelWatch SouthWest and some more things besides
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 82
  Print  

Jump to: