Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 26 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 01:03:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Total Weekend Closure of Reading 14-15 October  (Read 33561 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 19:45:45 »

Agree. GWR (Great Western Railway) are unable to honour the booking, so you should have maximum flexibility as to what you want to do at no additional cost, whether that be leave earlier, change day, or cancel.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:51:56 by Timmer » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 22:00:46 »

What GWR (Great Western Railway) put in their website should cover you TG and anyone else who chooses to travel at a different time because of this late notice shutdown:

Your train may not be running, including some late on Friday night, so we recommend you travel on alternative dates if possible. If you do choose to travel, please allow longer to complete your journey.

The more I look at what GWR have so far put out about this, the more I think they need to make things clearer for those who have already bought tickets. It really needs to say your ticket will be valid to travel before the weekend (Friday) and after the weekend (Monday)

How many people who have booked tickets are going to turn up next weekend expecting a through train to London or vice versa to find that's not the case because they aren't aware of things happening on the railways like most on this forum?

It's quite clear now that what was meant to happen two weeks ago during the last closure didn't.

Mark Hopwood needs to come out and apologise on behalf of the rail network for the way all this is being handled instead of leaving it to his front line staff to sort out passengers next weekend who were expecting a train to/from London.

Not a good way to end 'Customer Service Week'. Who on earth comes up with these barnpot ideas when customer well being is well down the priority list no matter what companies say. Profit always comes first.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:52:05 by Timmer » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 22:30:17 »

Another shining example of customer service from Mark Hopwood.  Never mind that we ran trains via Bicester only a couple of weekends ago, we can't be bothered to pull out the stops to do so again this time.  
I can only think it would be because of obtaining pilots for the running between Oxford and Marylebone. However, I'm sure GWR (Great Western Railway) will be well compensated for this late notice work so could send an SOS to drivers offering to reward them handsomely for offering to pilot that weekend.
Out of curiosity, how much training would each driver need to learn the route between Oxford and Ruislip/Ealing? And could it be desk based?  I'm not thinking that every driver would need route knowledge. Just a small pool that could take over for the section between Oxford and Paddington. (Though I'm conscious that with a journey time of around 1 1/2 hours, each driver could only do two round trips, so that small pool wouldn't be quite that small to allow 2 tph to run throughout the day.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:52:14 by Timmer » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 08:35:16 »

Expensive. And to train means during wirking hours, so fewer available to do what you're already expecting them to do....drivextrains rather than them be cancelled. You can't have both
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 09:47:17 »

You'd probably need a couple of weeks to learn that route, especially if you were looking at learning Marylebone as well.  There was talk about it a couple of years ago, but I guess it's not going to happen now that there are only a limited number of possessions remaining before Crossrail and electrification works are completed, and it will not be needed often, if at all, after that.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 09:59:54 »

I would hope that GWR (Great Western Railway) are planning blanket announcements about this closure next weekend across social media etc. Its not even on the front page of their website. If it wasn't for didcotdean flagging it up that it had been added to the reading2017 page we'd all be none the wiser.

Waiting until the revised times are uploaded to the journey planner before going public?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 10:07:20 »

If the Famous Five (as currently shown on the front page of the GWR (Great Western Railway) front page) were planning to go to London next weekend, I don't think they would be very impressed with their journey involving a rail replacement bus. Again, why some of us questioned why GWR were going ahead with a major marketing campaign before the new trains were in service.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 10:14:06 »

You'd probably need a couple of weeks to learn that route, especially if you were looking at learning Marylebone as well.  There was talk about it a couple of years ago, but I guess it's not going to happen now that there are only a limited number of possessions remaining before Crossrail and electrification works are completed, and it will not be needed often, if at all, after that.
Gosh that's much more than I would envisaged for a fairly straightforward route (assuming Marylebone wasn't needed). Clearly that wouldn't be possible given the short notice or viable. Out of curiosity why would it take so long?
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 10:18:32 »

... and another example of NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s positive contribution, it appears that the Future engineering work part of the NR site has now completely died. Never mind just waste time looking at multiple sites.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 10:44:44 »

Gosh that's much more than I would envisaged for a fairly straightforward route (assuming Marylebone wasn't needed). Clearly that wouldn't be possible given the short notice or viable. Out of curiosity why would it take so long?

I'm only guessing, but two weeks would equal about 16-20 trips in each direction which would be about right I'd have thought, based on other routes.  You wouldn't need to learn too much information about the stations, but it's quite a long route (about 70 miles if you include Marylebone) and although it looks easy, don't forget there are multiple speed changes and sections of bi-directional running.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 11:02:55 »

An alternative is to hire in pilot drivers to route conduct. That's what's happened for previous diversions via South Ruislip and Old Oak Common Junction.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 11:08:05 »

An alternative is to hire in pilot drivers to route conduct. That's what's happened for previous diversions via South Ruislip and Old Oak Common Junction.
Off them enough, even at this late stage and I'm sure you would have plenty of volunteers prepared to give up a weekend to provide GWR (Great Western Railway)'s customers with a better service rather than leaving them short at Didcot/Theale to board a replacement bus to Slough.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 11:10:10 »

My freight driving friend would certainly do it again. And his home depot is Tyne Yard!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 11:22:45 »

I suspect NR» (Network Rail - home page) won't pay whatever figure is needed for how ever nany pilots.

Anything on at Wembley Chiltern might be running an intensified service for?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 11:24:13 »

I suspect NR» (Network Rail - home page) won't pay whatever figure is needed for how ever nany pilots.
No let GWR (Great Western Railway)'s passengers pay the price instead. Which leads me to ask the question, how long did NR/GWR know that they were going to close the line through Reading down for this entire weekend?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: