07:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Swansea
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 08:20:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[69] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Portway Parkway Public open: August 01, 2023
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Portway Park and Ride Station  (Read 49539 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2023, 23:23:37 »

In case anyone has slept through it, GWR (Great Western Railway) have announced the opening date as 1st Aug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y_QxkRxm5Y

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2023, 10:25:20 »

That was quick!

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2023, 11:43:19 »

Official opening today - open to the public tomorrow (1st August 2023)

Secretary of State Mark Harper addresses the audinence of invited guests

Friends of Bristol Suburban Railways team

Guests board the first train conveying passengers from a new station in Bristol for 97 years

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2023, 11:50:12 »

I'm glad to see a Coffee Shop presence there!

Now, please!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 31, 2023, 12:56:13 »

Did the SoS at the last minute, declare it open as.....  Markway Harpway ? Huh
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 16:18:49 by chuffed » Logged
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 31, 2023, 21:22:48 »

Well, it's open now, let's hope it's judged a success as it's a significant step for MetroWest. 
The post COVID world it's been born into is very different to the one it was conceived in and uptake will, I suspect be gradual.  Actually, a steady increase in passenger numbers might be preferable compared to the Beach Line capacity being swamped from early on.
Low take up could be addressed with clever promotion but there's not apparently that much spare rolling stock sitting around to sort out the opposite scenario.
Anyway, my impression was that the opening ceremony today had a justifiably optimistic mood about it and it's great to see a proper car/bus/rail transport hub, purpose built in Bristol.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2023, 23:20:26 »

…and bikes!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2023, 07:22:32 »

Some very good film footage on both ITV West and BBC1 points west on the monday evening news.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2023, 07:43:16 »

An excellent event. There were a very large number of parties involved in getting the station up and running and multiple or many people within each of those, so lots and lots of people from rail and governmental backgrounds there - management, constructional and event-specific.  So although this was for the community and the speeches stressed the community, there were less than a dozen of us - perhaps just half of that and we were outnumbered by the press!  But then the event was very much for them.

A "thank you" to everyone who's worked so hard on the project and brought it to fruition.  Totally good and sensible to do a big "thank you" - in fact in older days we would have sat down for a banquet in the car park, and "thank you"s these days are muted

A way to get the news out to the public. Not so much a publicity "stunt" but a very good way of reaching all the media - BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page), ITV and others there and it made the evening news of both of those major local evening programs.  That's not saying "look at us - we done good" - it's bumping the new station into people's living rooms and helping initial publicity.

A personal "thank you" to friends who invited me to join their group; I really appreciate it.  Over the whole Avonside area - from Avonmouth to Avoncliff, from Weston-s-m to Gloucester and from Pilning to Swindon - and a bit beyond - we help and support each other in the wider region. Friends of Bristol Suburban Railways - thank you.

A way for various parties to network - and that was a fabulous but random yet wonderful opportunity. Looking forward for the wider region. It's the nature of changes in the rail industry that they'e a series of steps rather than a continual development, and we've seen a big step here.  Others have happened before, others will happen in the future; we hope steps up and not steps down. And some ideas were progressed yesterday.

Wonderful to see other Coffee Shop frequent posters there - and other readers and people who come here just occasionally.

Well, it's open now, let's hope it's judged a success as it's a significant step for MetroWest. 
The post COVID world it's been born into is very different to the one it was conceived in and uptake will, I suspect be gradual. 

I keep coming back to my informal definition of improvement process
1. Get people to know something needs looking at
2. Get it looked at and work out what is appropriate for the future
3. Get it actually done
4. Promote and support it once done to make sure it works

And each of those items is an order of magnitude bigger than the one before it.  

The bigwigs who spoke talked about the Severnside CRP (Community Rail Partnership) (even if one called it the Severn Beach Line CRP) and the Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways and they are utterly right that the community can now do so much to help make the project work.  You are right Johnney that it may be gradual - DfT» (Department for Transport - about) evaluations of rail services have been over three years as people change their daily commutes and jobs and friendships.

I arrived by bus.  I left by train.

The buses and trains serve different places. The buses to Portway, Hotwells, and into the central area of Bristol itself.  The trains to Clifton, Montperlier, Stapeleton Road, Lawrence Hill and Temple Meads with alternate services on to Bedminster. So whilst I wonder about abstraction, I thing we have two different markets, with the security of a backup mode of transport should there be disruption.

Finally - a big note of appreciation for Jane and Stacey of GWR (Great Western Railway) for both their hard work in organising and pulling off the event yesterday and (and much more long-term important) for their support of the railway and its customers, and the way they give that support.   

« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 08:49:40 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 01, 2023, 09:27:47 »

A few FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) stalwarts got up bright and bushy this morning to catch the first public train to Portway Park & Ride:

Approaching the new station... who's that bloke with the proper camera?

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2023, 14:37:43 »

Youtuber JenOnTheMove has dropped her 'first day' video: https://youtu.be/s5kRSZD6pd8

She was getting on as we got off, but you can see the FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) delegation at 5.30 on her vid.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2023, 15:25:03 »

Youtuber JenOnTheMove has dropped her 'first day' video: https://youtu.be/s5kRSZD6pd8

She was getting on as we got off, but you can see the FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) delegation at 5.30 on her vid.

Interesting to see their experience with the ticket machine.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2023, 15:39:45 »

Interesting to see their experience with the ticket machine.

Yes! Aside from the touch-sensitivity (or lack of it), I do find myself wondering if the person who designed these machines was 1.2m tall. I find I have to poke the space below the button I want, to allow for parallax.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2023, 16:49:48 »

Is that to do with being usable by people in wheelchairs, perhaps?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 01, 2023, 17:08:53 »

The local news said it cost 5.8 million pounds,that seems a bit on the low side,any one else thinking the same?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
  Print  

Jump to: