Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 06:22:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Abusive kids who won't buy tickets- what can be done?  (Read 13549 times)
WashuChan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 09:37:00 »

I've had to intercept against abusive kids on the trains who refuse to pay for tickets or treat the guards like a joke. The running practice is now to ignore the guard and wait for him to go away.

Sadly it works well because the guard doesn't always have time to deal with this "kids". Sometimes its gotten to the point where the guards been attacked, to which I've had to intercept because I can't stand to see someone who's doing his job be attacked.

There's nothing more satifising then throwing a kid off a train at Hilsea, knowing the next train isnt for another 30 minutes  Grin
zebedee
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 12:35:56 »

You just have to accept we live in a country that has lost it's self-respect - or at least, if Newton Abbot is anything to go by anyway.  The parents don't care, the kids don't care, no-one cares anymore.

Personally, I'd like to see this government grow a spine and start doing something about the very sad disintergration of families but I suspect things will get worse before they get better.
WashuChan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 13:10:58 »

You just have to accept we live in a country that has lost it's self-respect - or at least, if Newton Abbot is anything to go by anyway.  The parents don't care, the kids don't care, no-one cares anymore.

Personally, I'd like to see this government grow a spine and start doing something about the very sad disintergration of families but I suspect things will get worse before they get better.

Why does the government have to grow a spine in order to deal with this? Shouldn't the parents be doing more to sort this out, smacking their kids and teaching them right from wrong, why don't they spend more time with them rather then stuffing them in front of a TV?

Surely people will start bleeting the moment the government steps in and starts making sure these little thugs don't have little little thugs at 14 or so? Seems like a no win scenario to me  Undecided
zebedee
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 14:09:56 »

I agree that the parents are ultimately responsible for a child's behaviour and well being but (and this is all my opinion before anyone gets upset) I believe that years of ridiculous decisions by government have eroded any sense of family in this country.  I live on a council estate and I see first hand the sorts of families who don't work, don't care and still manage to have everything under the sun - cars, holidays and televisions.  There are plenty of people who have genuinely fallen on bad times and they need help, but there are lots and lots of people who need a shake up and realise that life doesn't owe them anything.

You are right in that one of the missing parts is the parents interacting with their children - we regularly have 2-3 extra 6/7 year olds round our house who call to see our children - they are just kicked out of their house on a Saturday morning and that's their lives.  We let them play in our garden as it seems better they are there then out on the streets.  The crazy thing is, the parents just don't know where they are.  The poor children have no boundaries so you imagine what they are going to grow up into - yes, the sort of young adults who have no sense of society or respect.

However, I don't agree with your comment about smacking children - in my experience, smacking children achieves very little.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 16:21:04 »

Having been to Trowbridge a number of time i'd say there were many places within Torbay which should first be taken off the map.

It didn't look a particularly rich area but whats the need when you have a massive Asda  Cheesy
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 17:17:54 »

Having been to Trowbridge a number of time i'd say there were many places within Torbay which should first be taken off the map.

It didn't look a particularly rich area but whats the need when you have a massive Asda  Cheesy

Blimey! Well, I haven't really been round Torbay, so couldn't comment.

Really, you wanna see our Tesco - you supermarket 'ned'

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 19:01:47 »

I got a call from the BTP (British Transport Police) chief from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) today - will report directly to him if I see those brats - or as he called them 'spotty little herberts' again! Wink
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 19:44:29 »

I got a call from the BTP (British Transport Police) chief from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) today - will report directly to him if I see those brats - or as he called them 'spotty little herberts' again! Wink
I wish more people were like you Graz! a conductor got assaulted recently in Cornwall on a busy commuter train, OK, it wasn't serious, and not particularly physical, but it's still totally unacceptable, funny thing was, out of a full and standing 150 nobody saw a thing! The guard went sick, and the rest of the trains for the day on that branch were cancelled and i'll bet the people who didn't see anything were the first to moan about the train being canned!
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 19:50:49 »

I have on more than 1 time seen a bunch of 'undesirables' get in a unit, and see the guard go to ching them. On more than 1 time if they have been up there a while I quickly nip up the coach to check there not getting any problems.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
WashuChan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 20:39:22 »

However, I don't agree with your comment about smacking children - in my experience, smacking children achieves very little.

Smacking children instills that the actions they've just taken were wrong. It worked well for myself and my sibling, neither of us have broken the law.

But anyway, point being people need to stop being abusive to each other and start being decent.
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 20:39:49 »

I wish more people were like you Graz! a conductor got assaulted recently in Cornwall on a busy commuter train, OK, it wasn't serious, and not particularly physical, but it's still totally unacceptable, funny thing was, out of a full and standing 150 nobody saw a thing! The guard went sick, and the rest of the trains for the day on that branch were cancelled and i'll bet the people who didn't see anything were the first to moan about the train being canned!
Aw thanks vacman Grin It's so unfourtunate there are people like that around- rightfully labelled scum of the earth, in my opinion. They have no right to be going on the trains if they have no intention of paying and abuse the conductor verbally or otherwise. I can't comprehend why someone didn't report anything about the incident in Cornwall- I'm sure any one of us here at the Coffeeshop would have reported it without a second thought.
Jim- have you ever reported anything to the BTP?
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 21:01:08 »

Jim- have you ever reported anything to the BTP (British Transport Police)?

No. I have given 2 witness statments though.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 23:09:23 »

Jim, well done, and thanks!

It's good to see such positive action being taken, by some of the younger members of society.  Wink

The local plods take too long to reply to some calls as well!

Part of the problem there, Jim, is that the 'local' plods have limited powers on railway property: that's why you need BTP (British Transport Police) officers on the ground.

I have reported certain issues to uniformed BTP officers at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) over the years - and they've been suitably grateful for the info, and they have promptly gone off to 'deal with it'! Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 06:37:21 »

Thats the problem. Our nearest BTP (British Transport Police) plods are Bristol! No use calling them for an emergancy incident on a train is it!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
WashuChan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 09:10:25 »

Thats the problem. Our nearest BTP (British Transport Police) plods are Bristol! No use calling them for an emergancy incident on a train is it!

The ones in Pompey were fast asleep when I called them about a "nice" bloke who was beating up his missus x.x
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: