14:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
15:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 11:27:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman is only passenger on holiday jet from Glasgow to Crete  (Read 2520 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: October 25, 2017, 19:54:50 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Woman is only passenger on holiday jet

Karon Grieve was given the VIP treatment during her flight on Sunday

A woman who paid just £46 for a flight to Crete has spoken of her amazement at being the only passenger on board.

Karon Grieve, from Dunlop in Ayrshire, described her Jet2 flight from Glasgow to the Greek island - which normally carries 189 passengers - as "surreal".

She was given the VIP treatment after two other passengers booked on the flight failed to turn up.

Jet2 said it was "not unusual" for the final flight of the season to have fewer bookings than normal.

Ms Grieve, who was travelling to Crete to write a crime novel, said it was immediately obvious there were very few passengers when she turned up at the airport for her 16:30 flight on Sunday.

She told the BBC's Good Morning Scotland programme: "I turned up at the check-in desk and was joking with the staff, saying 'how many people are on this flight?' The guy was laughing at me and he said 'oh come on, guess'.

"We got it down from 10 to four and he said 'you'll never guess it, there's only three of you'. But when I got to the actual gate, the other two people hadn't turned up."

Ms Grieve said that, because she was the only passenger, all of the flight crew knew her name. She said: "We were all on best friend terms before we'd even got on the plane. The captain was fantastic. She came and sat beside me while the first officer did all the flight checks and we were chatting away about the flight."

While the plane was in the air, Ms Grieve said that the captain addressed her by name from the cockpit. She said: "Every time she made an announcement she said, 'Hi there Karon, you'll see Croatia on your left-hand side', and then we flew through this amazing lightning storm and she suddenly came on and said, 'Hi Karon and the girls, quickly run to the other side of the plane and look at this, it's amazing'. It was just surreal".

Ms Grieve said she intended to spend the next month in Crete writing her book before returning to Scotland. However, she acknowledged the chances of experiencing a similar return journey were remote.

A spokeswoman for Jet2 said: "This was our last flight to Crete from Glasgow Airport this year, marking the end of a very busy and successful season. We're delighted that Karon got to experience our VIP customer service in style onboard our award-winning airline.

"It is not unusual for the final outbound flight of the season to have fewer bookings than normal, and the return flight back to Glasgow was completely full with customers returning from a lovely holiday. We hope Karon has a fantastic time in Crete and that we got her trip off to a great start."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 20:30:51 »

Probably not as much of a story as you might imagine when you think about it. The last return flight will always be empty going out in the same way that the first flight out of the season is likely to be empty coming back. (That's assuming there's really only a one-way flow of passengers flying out of the UK (United Kingdom) on holiday.)  It'll be all built into the airline's business plan.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 22:07:01 »

Kind of reminds me of the time that I went with a mate to see a film at longwell green
We were the only two people in the cinema when he got up to go for a leak the projectionist stoped the film until he came back !.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 22:18:24 »

I flew on the last flight of the season from Bristol to Olbia a couple of years ago (returning another way...another story).  There were 11 of us on board plus crew.  The stranger allocated the seat next to me asked if he could move to an empty row (I know  Roll Eyes) and was told of course but not until the plane has completed take off and he needed to return for landing. Apparently the computer allocates seats to evenly distribute load for these manoeuvres. I learned something.

(By the time we reached a decent height we were having a good conversation so he stayed. Smiley)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 22:49:57 »

Kind of reminds me of the time that I went with a mate to see a film at longwell green
We were the only two people in the cinema when he got up to go for a leak the projectionist stoped the film until he came back !.

Crikey. A projectionist? That would have been a while ago. It's all digital, computer controlled projection equipment these days. Films arrive at the cinema on hard drives and a minimum wager plugs that into the projection equipment.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 22:55:36 »

To be fair, though, the example given was Longwell Green.  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 23:19:33 »

Apparently the computer allocates seats to evenly distribute load for these manoeuvers

In a former life, I was qualified to do "weight and balance" on various large transport aircraft - manually using trimsheets, rather than in computerised fashion - in most cases a lightly loaded aircraft is much harder to "trim" than a fully loaded one.

Some are naturally a bit "nosey" (nose heavy) and some "taily" (the other way), and this has to be taken into account when distributing the "self-loading freight" and other elements of the payload. Fuel (quantity, and where it's put) can have a big impact aswell. Concorde apparently had to move fuel between tanks in flight to keep in "trim" as it burnt it, and transitioned from subsonic to supersonic flight, and back again. On one 3-engined widebody that I worked on, we had to load a pallet of concrete slabs in the front hold to help the trim if it was lightly loaded (known unimaginatively as the "ballast pallet")!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 23:36:31 »

My Grandad lives in Crete, he has often used such flights to come to the uk or go back, against the normal flow of uk airlines.

He came over here on the first service of the year a few years ago for 1p plus taxes. There were no uk based holiday makers out there as it was the return leg of the 1st uk-Crete of the year.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 09:15:24 »

I've been the only person on a plane quite a few times, and I never got drinks.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 09:21:03 »

What, even if you go and sit in the back?
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 09:56:05 »

I was once one of about four passengers on an international coach service, Poland to London. That was just before Christmas, it was actually an extra service put on to bring the Polish crowds home for the holiday. It wouldn't happen now (this was about 2000) because of cheap flights, and it wouldn't happen on those either because movement patterns have changed.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 10:27:46 »

Crikey. A projectionist? That would have been a while ago. It's all digital, computer controlled projection equipment these days. Films arrive at the cinema on hard drives and a minimum wager plugs that into the projection equipment.

Even the hard drives are becoming rare these days: a lot of content is delivered to a library server on site by satellite or fibre and is remotely loaded by a Network Operation Centre. Even so, there are a few projectionists left in the industry and are in high demand when the likes of Chris Nolan puts out 70mm releases. A friend of mine refers to himself as ‘Last Projectionist Standing’ Smiley
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 15:43:35 »

What, even if you go and sit in the back?

I couldn't sit in the back, as I wouldn't have been able to reach the controls. Whilst a hip-flask of gin may help  to soothe the nerves of the passengers, it isn't recommended for the pilot.

Now, please!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 15:49:05 »

I couldn't sit in the back, as I wouldn't have been able to reach the controls. Whilst a hip-flask of gin may help  to soothe the nerves of the passengers, it isn't recommended for the pilot.
Is that a specific recommendation for your passengers?  Wink
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 15:54:01 »

Is that a specific recommendation for your passengers?  Wink

You would have to ask them, or at least the ones who can still communicate.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: