Delayed
03:56 Swansea to London Paddington
05:15 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 06:17:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we owe GWR £14.40?  (Read 4454 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2017, 12:25:33 »

This weekend I was on a break with the family, staying in a holiday cottage on the Haldon Hills above Dawlish in Devon.

Yesterday (4/11/2017) afternoon we drove down to Dawlish Warren, parked up and walked the sea wall to Dawlish. After refreshments we decided to all (8 adults, 1 child, 1 under five) get the train back to Dawlish Warren, rather than just the two drivers collect the cars as originally planned.

The Ticket Office was closed at Dawlish and of course, with this being GWR (Great Western Railway), GroupSave was not available from the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine). The guard was in the rear unit of the 2x Class143 train, and there was no ticket examiner in the front unit where we boarded.

Rules require you to buy tickets at the earliest opportunity. We're still waiting for that opportunity. We couldn't purchase at origin, there was no opportunity to pay on board, and no opportunity at destination.

I, being the fares nerd that I am, knew that our group required nine people to be covered by tickets, and the cost with GroupSave would be equivalent to six adult Off Peak Singles @£2.40. For a total of £14.40.

Some hypothecticals:

- Should we have bought those six Singles from the TVM? Would an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) (if encountered) have challenged the fact that three people weren't covered by a ticket?
- Should we have bought everyone a ticket (9 Singles) and tried to claim 1/3 of the total back from GWR to account for not being able to get GroupSave? 
- Do we send GWR a cheque?
- Do we just say it's not our fault we couldn't buy the tickets we wanted and be pleased with the free ride? (This was our group consensus)

What would you do in this scenario?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 14:34:54 »

I'm guessing option 2 would have been the moral thing to do, however like you and your group, option 4 is the one I would have taken. I wouldn't necessarily be pleased, but just accept it as one of those things
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 14:43:30 »

4 is the answer, isn't it.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 15:09:04 »

How about option 5?

As you had one member of the group who's something of an expert on trains and ticketing, the group could have joined the part of the train in which the train manager was travelling.  A quick "can you sell us a Groupsave" as you joined, "yes of course", and Robert's your parent's brother.

For a group of newcomers to GWR (Great Western Railway), just getting in at any 'random' door's reasonable.   For a group that includes a fare, terms and conditions expert, joining the train at the opposite end to the conductor on a none-corridor pair of units could be questioned as to whether it was a deliberate act to maximise the chance of not having to pay.   I appreciate a decision in the heat of the moment (you probably didn't know what train type was going to turn up) but in hindsight it leaves muddy waters.

<pedant> Option 2 - surely you would not buy 9 tickets at £2.40 and claim a third back.   Wouldn't you buy 8 at £2.40, one for the child at £1.20 and then claim £1.20 less than a third back?</pedant>

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 16:21:27 »

Shouldn't matter how knowledgeable you are regarding the operation of railways, everyone should be treated the same.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 16:50:59 »

Caveat Vendor

Option 4 - you had every intention of buying the correct ticket but were not given the means to do so.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 17:12:33 »

How about option 5?

As you had one member of the group who's something of an expert on trains and ticketing, the group could have joined the part of the train in which the train manager was travelling[/i]

For a group of newcomers to GWR (Great Western Railway), just getting in at any 'random' door's reasonable.   
How would you know where the TM(resolve) is?  Hardly advertised on train or by platform indications!
Having been on this forum for a few years now I'm aware of many more things than I ever was (!) but still wouldn't know where a TM is   Embarrassed

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 17:25:51 »

How about option 5?

As you had one member of the group who's something of an expert on trains and ticketing, the group could have joined the part of the train in which the train manager was travelling[/i]

For a group of newcomers to GWR (Great Western Railway), just getting in at any 'random' door's reasonable.   
How would you know where the TM(resolve) is?  Hardly advertised on train or by platform indications!
Having been on this forum for a few years now I'm aware of many more things than I ever was (!) but still wouldn't know where a TM is   Embarrassed

Usually to be seen on the platform immediately after having released the doors. He or she is normally to be found, at least in GWR territory, in a green uniform. Fairly easily spotted when it's a 4 car train, less so if a (full length) HST (High Speed Train).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 17:30:26 »

How about option 5?

As you had one member of the group who's something of an expert on trains and ticketing, the group could have joined the part of the train in which the train manager was travelling.  A quick "can you sell us a Groupsave" as you joined, "yes of course", and Robert's your parent's brother.

For a group of newcomers to GWR (Great Western Railway), just getting in at any 'random' door's reasonable.   For a group that includes a fare, terms and conditions expert, joining the train at the opposite end to the conductor on a none-corridor pair of units could be questioned as to whether it was a deliberate act to maximise the chance of not having to pay.   I appreciate a decision in the heat of the moment (you probably didn't know what train type was going to turn up) but in hindsight it leaves muddy waters.

I did know what type of unit was going to turn up. The down service, that was to return up from Paignton, passed us while we were walking the sea wall.

I explained to the family how the scenario would likely pan out after my cousin (regular GWR west user) said we could get a free ride. That there may not be an opportunity to purchase if we were to board the front unit. I was out-voted for suggesting we approach the Guard. However, there was every chance there would have been an Assistant Ticket Examiner in the front unit.

I say 'every chance'. This was a Saturday and we all know what GWR's staffing is like at the weekend!

Also, I noticed the Guard wasn't kitted up on arrival at Dawlish or Dawlish Warren.

I do like a bargain, and as you probably know, I do like to use all the legimate dodges and wheezes to pay as little as legally possible for my train journeys. I also like to ensure, as far as practicable, journeys are recorded by the operator for passenger number figures. I explained to the family the worse case scenario should we encounter an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)). Group consensus was go for the potential 'free ride'.

<pedant> Option 2 - surely you would not buy 9 tickets at £2.40 and claim a third back.   Wouldn't you buy 8 at £2.40, one for the child at £1.20 and then claim £1.20 less than a third back?</pedant>

I would. You are allowed to by an adult ticket for a child to take advantage of GroupSave.

We are happy with the decision taken, and I'm still prepared to contact GWR, offering to pay. I wasn't wanting opprobrium for our choice. Just asking, "What would you do?"

All said, we had a lovely afternoon. Here's the bignosemac clan enjoying the walk:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 19:22:32 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 17:49:37 »

<pedant> Option 2 - surely you would not buy 9 tickets at £2.40 and claim a third back.   Wouldn't you buy 8 at £2.40, one for the child at £1.20 and then claim £1.20 less than a third back?</pedant>

I would. You are allowed to by an adult ticket for a child to take advantage of GroupSave.

Yes - and we recommend groupsave for 2 adults + 1 child.   No point these days for larger groups in having a child on an adult ticket as you save 50% not 33%
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 17:58:44 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 18:25:32 »

No point these days for larger groups in having a child on an adult ticket as you save 50% not 33%

You are correct. I was forgetting it's 1/3 off each adult fare (DWL-DWW £2.40) for 3-9 adults.There's no need to split 9 adults into three groups of three. Our fare would have been 8 adults @£1.60 and one child at £1.20. Rather than 9 adults @£1.60.

See. Even this self taught 'expert' doesn't know or remember it all. The fares system is too complex for one brain!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 08:14:12 »

How about option 5?

Usually to be seen on the platform immediately after having released the doors. He or she is normally to be found, at least in GWR territory, in a green uniform. Fairly easily spotted when it's a 4 car train, less so if a (full length) HST (High Speed Train).

Not actually as simple as that. I've seen TMs get off and watch passengers boarding and then walk down to the other half of the train and board there. It happened recently when I got on specifically where I saw the TM was, as I needed to buy a ticket, and only then found the TM had got down to the far carriage (it was a two carriage train where the TM had been and one extra carriage linked to it). So I was left to wait at Temple Meads yet again having to queue on platform 3 to buy a ticket.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 08:26:43 »

What, no Finn in the photo ? Instead of Famous Five go on an adventure, this should have been BNM clan go on a freebie !
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 08:27:32 »

To throw a spin on it....
GWR (Great Western Railway) policy makes no mention of the required ticket not being available (other Toc policies specifically say the ticket you require is unavailable you may buy on board or at next opportunity) so you could have been eligible for penalty fares all round as Dawlish is a Penalty fares station.

source GWR  revenue protection pdf:
https://www.gwr.com/~/media/gwr/pdfs/book-and-plan/tickets-railcards-and-season-tickets/revenue-protection/gwr-revenue-protection-and-prosecutions-policy-a5-port-220617.pdf?la=en

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 08:28:33 »

Usually to be seen on the platform immediately after having released the doors. He or she is normally to be found, at least in GWR (Great Western Railway) territory, in a green uniform. Fairly easily spotted when it's a 4 car train, less so if a (full length) HST (High Speed Train).

Not actually as simple as that. I've seen TMs(resolve) get off and watch passengers boarding and then walk down to the other half of the train and board there. It happened recently when I got on specifically where I saw the TM was, as I needed to buy a ticket, and only then found the TM had got down to the far carriage (it was a two carriage train where the TM had been and one extra carriage linked to it). So I was left to wait at Temple Meads yet again having to queue on platform 3 to buy a ticket.

I suspect that most of the time getting in where you see the TM works - and if (s)he then moves, that's a fair case for suggesting you had no opportunity to pay.

GWR's goal should be to ensure that every passenger has an opportunity to pay before reaching their destination station - that the queue at Temple Meads should be a thing of the past, with arrival time + 3 minutes being the time that passengers will all be able to be out of the barriers and on their way.

Theory was that with 143s and 150/1s moving away, all Exeter based trains would be through corridor.  Alas, 143s with us a bit longer now, and units without corridor connections between them being brought it for Bristol based operation, I suspect we have more of a remapping of the problems than a solution.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: