Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
15:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:48 London Paddington to Swansea
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 17:35:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: SandTEngineers Spot the Railway Location Photograph Quiz  (Read 29112 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2018, 18:43:42 »

13 = Barnstaple Jn looking towards Waterloo, possibly 1970/1 before the major track rationalisation following closure of Ilfracombe line and Barnstaple Jn 'B' S'Box.
No.13 - Correct (sorry for the delay).
Photograph taken in September 1970.  Looking towards Exeter.  The old Barnstaple Town branch went off to the left and you can see the river TAW bridge in the left distance. The station was quite a large junction, even at this time.  It still had three platforms, the passenger service to Ilfracombe and freight services to Meeth as well as local goods services to the yard to the left of the photograph.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2018, 18:46:41 »

No.14

Image (c)2018 SandTEngineer
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2018, 18:48:44 »

That shouts "Achna..." Ilfracombe at me. Educated guess

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2018, 18:54:06 »

No. 14 = Ilfracombe; probably 1970 in its last year before closure.
Note the waste ground on the left, previously the site of several carriage sidings.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2018, 19:51:00 »

That shouts "Achna..." Ilfracombe at me. Educated guess
No.14 Correct.
Photograph taken in September 1970 (same day as the Barnstaple Junction one above).  A DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) awaits departure back to Exeter St.Davids.  If I remember correctly this was the last weekend of the (last) summer service to Ilfracombe.  Unfortunately, the station, although still intact, looks a shadow of its former self.  The vacant ground to the left, as AMLAG has stated, once contained extensive carriage sidings.  At least there was still a run-around loop at the platform and that summer there was still a loco hauled (WARSHIP) through train from/to London Paddington (reverse at Exeter St.Davids).  The signalbox at the other end of the station had closed earlier.  The station and line to Barnstaple Junction closed 05 October 1970, a few weeks after the photograph was taken, the last train having run on 03 October 1970.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 20:57:47 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2018, 19:51:45 »

No.15

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2018, 19:58:36 »

That must be the tiny goods yard near Kings Cross?!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2018, 20:04:11 »

or Berney Arms?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2018, 20:39:12 »

No.15 - Correct (you're getting too good at these).
Photograph taken in a very cold December 1969.  Looking down from the North London Line (NLL) viaduct towards Kings Cross to the left.  You can see the spires of St.Pancras station in the distance highlighted against a gloomy sky. The 6 lines on the left led to Kings Cross and were controlled by Kings Cross signalbox (only 4 lines now).  There used to be another signalbox just below to the left called BELLE ISLE but I can assure you it was no lovely pacific island around there!  The yard to the right is Kings Cross Goods Yard controlled by a signalbox just off to the right.  If I had turned around and been there just 14 years before in 1955, I might have seen the final scenes being filmed for THE LADYKILLERS film (the scenes where all the criminals end up tossed off the tunnel top into passing goods train wagons).  The goods yard itself was still quite extensive in 1969 and Kings Cross Top Shed was also located there.  Just in-front of my photograph is where the HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) lines now pass over the lines in a tube bridge....  How times change.  At the time the photograph was taken I had been in the Watford Signal Gang as an apprentice for a mere 3 months.  We were carrying out works on the NLL rationalising the number of signalboxes.

Is it time to pause now or shall we carry on?  Still have a number of photographs ready for guessing.....
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 21:48:51 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2018, 21:02:27 »

Is it time to pause now or shall we carry on?  Still have a number of photographs ready for guessing.....

If you are happy to continue posting these fascinating pictures (together with their detailed provenance), SandTEngineer, I rather think our readers will also continue to be very grateful for your work.

Thanks, CfN.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2018, 21:26:14 »

No.15

I spent 3 years on a project as Designated Project Engineer under that lot a few years ago, Canal Tunnels dives down just in the front right fore ground.  York Road viaduct is no more demolished and York road re-aligned as part of HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) works.  The concrete batching plant on the left is still there

Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2018, 22:43:14 »

No.15

If I had turned around and been there just 14 years before in 1955, I might have seen the final scenes being filmed for THE LADYKILLERS film (the scenes where all the criminals end up tossed off the tunnel top into passing goods train wagons). 

Only just got round to looking at this one. My first thought, before reading your reply to the correct answer, was Mrs Wilberforce's house was in this general area! An all time favourite film of mine is The Ladykillers.

The house, at the end of Frederica St, off Caledonian Road, was a set built for the film.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 22:51:03 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2018, 22:55:52 »

Thanks for posting that photograph BNM.  The viaduct I was stood on is just off the left hand top corner.  The tunnel entrance used in the final film scenes is just by the round brick structure to the middle right.  A classic and iconic film that one is  Grin

Edit to add: Also carefully note that the lines immediately behind 'Mrs. Wilberforces house' led up from the right hand side of my photograph, over the Kings Cross lines to Caledonian Road coal yard sidings on the NLL.  This also involved a reversal just to the right of the colour photograph you posted, and over the aforementioned tunnel.  There was a lot of railway around there in the past.... Wink
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 23:01:01 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2018, 23:06:43 »

If you are happy to continue posting these fascinating pictures (together with their detailed provenance), SandTEngineer, I rather think our readers will also continue to be very grateful for your work.

Thanks, CfN.  Wink Cheesy Grin
Thanks CfN.  We will carry on for a little bit and see how it goes from there...... Wink
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2018, 23:14:17 »

A classic and iconic film that one is  Grin

With a stellar cast. Alec Guinness' best Ealing Studios role in my opinion. And Peter Sellers & Herbert Lom together on screen for the first time. They would, of course, become more famous as the hapless Inspector Clouseau, and put upon Police Commissioner/Chief Inspector Dreyfus, in the Pink Panther series of films.

Must watch it again soon.  Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: