09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 09:52:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[83] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[17] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[16] access for all at Devon stations report
[10] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[8] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Those barriers - whose idea?  (Read 20387 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2008, 09:27:15 »

You make a few valid points there tim, but the wide gates are a legal requirement, and they have to marked as such, as for the gate situation then that doesn't really have much to do with ticket barriers as Cheltenham is ungated (at the moment, but watch this space! along with Gloucester), at the end of the day whatever happens then you cant please everyone, but the truth is that the majority of regular passengers (the bread and butter) are in favour, the points that you've brought up are quite minor really.
[/quote]

I have noticed that LondonUnderground does the same thing with labelling wide gates with a disabled symbol even though nothing beyond the gate is accessible (Waterloo underground is a good example of this.  One of the ticket halls there is actually accesible.  The other is not but you can be tempted into the inaccessible hall by the wheelchair symbols on the gate you go through). 

You are correct, my points are fairly minor (although if I was in a wheelchair and couldn't get down the stairs and consequntly missed my train and ended up travelling on the next one on which my ticket wasnt valid and then got a penalty fare - I'd be more than just mildly annoyed and might decide to drive next time). 
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2008, 09:28:53 »

1 The Underground Barriers have a Push through for cases and large items, FGW (First Great Western) barriers that I've seen do not, so I've seem people get traped when they go through carrying a case first, how long till someone sues?

2 All tickets issued should fit the Barriers not those Huge pink tickets.

3 As the Barriers may retain your ticket it means you can now claim compensation for a delayed journey without sending in your ticket, thats not very bright FGW.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2008, 10:36:49 »

A replacement taking 7minutes. Not a chance. 2-4 mins max.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2008, 19:07:50 »

1 The Underground Barriers have a Push through for cases and large items, FGW (First Great Western) barriers that I've seen do not, so I've seem people get traped when they go through carrying a case first, how long till someone sues?

2 All tickets issued should fit the Barriers not those Huge pink tickets.

3 As the Barriers may retain your ticket it means you can now claim compensation for a delayed journey without sending in your ticket, thats not very bright FGW.
1, the wide gate has a big picture of a suitcase on it indicating that people with luggage should use that,
2, Yes, tell me about it!!!
3, Ticket remains property of the railway at all times, it can be retained at any time, i've seen many undesireables looking through bins at non gated stations for used tickets so barriers keeping them is actually a good idea.
tom-langley

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2008, 22:42:28 »

If the barriers are introduced, they need to be sensible about using them. Barriers should be active late evenings and early morning. Slough has such barriers, but are not in use late at night, (presumably because they don^t want to put staff out to man the barriers) If you ask me the most of the fare evasion happens late at night out of Paddington on the local lines. The majority of people catching these trains are coming back from a night out and have not bought tickets. This is not helped by the fact that FGW (First Great Western) NEVER check tickets on these trains, and they are often so full that it would be impossible to check the tickets anyway.

I hate travelling on the trains late at night or earlier in the morning, both myself and my girlfriend do on a regular basis. My girlfriend has even told me of an occasion when a man has flashed a gun (only caught a gimps of it) in an argument with another passenger. If ticket barriers are introduced this would hopefully increase the security for passengers on these services.

My point is that these barriers need to be introduced and used properly:
1) In use 24/7
2) Standard ticket sizes
3) Not used as replacements for onboard ticket inspections
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2008, 01:30:30 »

I wouldn't say no ticket checks are done on local services.
On the few occasions I have been on one of the local stoppers it has been checked by Revenue Protection.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: