16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 16:36:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] access for all at Devon stations report
[53] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[38] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[6] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[4] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail replacement services - small things could make a big difference  (Read 2309 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:29:45 »

From a planned rail replacement journey yesterday ...

It's the simple things ...

The absence of any timetable information about the times trains are leaving today from THIS station, and of a notice telling people at what amended times they can set off back later to get home

The bus that leaves earlier than the regular train - left 4 minutes before the connecting train was due

The handful (that's 5) extra staff in green high-vis hanging around chatting with each other (and I was there for about an hour so this was not just a quick liaison meeting) at an already staffed station when the next station up the line was totally unstaffed, with bus depertures disappearing off the screen before the bus has even arrived.

I could go on ... let me just leave it at those three points for the moment.

I am grateful to GWR (Great Western Railway) for sorting out various fare issues after the last blockade, and adjusting one of the connections. I do wonder hwo much extra it would really cost them in terms of money and organisation to take a few more simple steps like putting up timetables and not just summaries of principles ("off peak trains replaced by buses, morning peak trains up to 20 minutes earlier" to be supplemented by an actual timetable), for example.  And how about putting a member of the extra team at an otherwise unstaffed station rather than paying them to all be at the one over-staffed place?   

I fear that the first piece of disruption in a pattern is planned to be done as cost-effetively as possible for GWR, with limited adjustments where the natives are restless for the next run in the same pattern.  And if the natives haven't got restless enough in the first pattern to change for the second, changes of changes for the third, fourth ... seem pretty slim.

We have ten weeks of off peak trains replaced by buses on the TransWilts this year.  Pewsey and Bedwyn have ten weeks of all their services being replaced.  I fear that the points raised (above, and by the other groups) will be considered only with lip service, and even little things that could make a big difference will not be done.   There are some bigger things that could be done - replacement of a 30 minute train service with an hourly bus (and making people connecting wait 40 miutes for it) is cheapskate (I have been told "budget").  And the whole need to complete this year ... has been explained to me, but looks to be a veneered presentation; whether the veneer is on a piece of solid wood, or chipboard, I know not.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 08:52:30 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 08:58:03 »

Absolutely agree, it's the attention to detail during major service alterations which can successfully mitigate the impact on many customers. As is common however, the service provision has not always been planned around the journeys people actually want to make. As an example, during the Berks and Hants blockade last time, I was waiting for a train at Westbury station early in the morning. A lady arrived and asked staff how she could get to Hungerford, her usual trains at 0616 and 0701 not running.

Well there is a rail replacement bus to Pewsey at 0645 arriving at 0735. However this terminates at Pewsey, and the passenger demand for such a service is such that a single taxi would probably be overprovision. There is also a rail replacement bus from Pewsey to Hungerford, unfortunately timed to leave five minutes before the bus from Westbury arrives. So a passenger flow with virtually zero demand (Westbury to Pewsey first thing in the morning) is served, whereas other flows with demonstrable demand (Westbury to Hungerford/Newbury) are not effectively served. From what I overheard, the lady in question was advised to travel to Reading via Bath (at least 90 minutes), and then pick up a bus taking nearly an hour to Hungerford. The usual journey time is about 35 minutes. This issue could easily have been mitigated with attention to such details in planning replacement services.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: