Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 00:16:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: 165/166s on this route  (Read 32348 times)
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2018, 22:31:40 »

Personally I would rather see new trains or West Midlands Railway ordering new trains and the Class 172s being transferred to the GWR (Great Western Railway) region.  Ideally though some form of Intercity 4 or 5 car unit is needed on Portsmouth to Cardiff, maybe more Castle Class HSTs (High Speed Train)?

Not enough around, hopefully whoever takes the next franchise will offer to order some new rolling stock, and maybe DfT» (Department for Transport - about) could electrify some more areas.

WMR Have 27 of them, and are gaining all LO units so in total 35 units. From what im aware Cardiff to Portsmouth requires 6 units?  That leaves 29 units, left for other routes. Of course if Intercity style trains where brought onto P-C that would allow the 172s to be used on other routes, such as branchlines around Bristol, or replace all the Class 150s in the Devon/Cornwall region.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2018, 22:35:46 »

Personally I would rather see new trains or West Midlands Railway ordering new trains and the Class 172s being transferred to the GWR (Great Western Railway) region.  Ideally though some form of Intercity 4 or 5 car unit is needed on Portsmouth to Cardiff, maybe more Castle Class HSTs (High Speed Train)?

Not enough around, hopefully whoever takes the next franchise will offer to order some new rolling stock, and maybe DfT» (Department for Transport - about) could electrify some more areas.

WMR Have 27 of them, and are gaining all LO units so in total 35 units. From what im aware Cardiff to Portsmouth requires 6 units?  That leaves 29 units, left for other routes. Of course if Intercity style trains where brought onto P-C that would allow the 172s to be used on other routes, such as branchlines around Bristol, or replace all the Class 150s in the Devon/Cornwall region.

Was speaking about the castle sets, my mistake.

It seems like a good short term solution although it would be great to see some new West specific new rolling stock right down to Devon and Cornwall.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2018, 22:45:14 »

Was speaking about the castle sets, my mistake.

It seems like a good short term solution although it would be great to see some new West specific new rolling stock right down to Devon and Cornwall.

Oh right,  Plenty of spare HST coming available from 2020 which could be converted and used on the route.  5 Coaches, with good bicycle spaces, and the buffet car with 30 ish First Class seats.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2018, 23:45:41 »

Such spare HSTs (High Speed Train) would need to join the queue for the necessary modifications to comply with disability and accessibility legislation. Said modifications taking longer than planned due to the amount of corrosion on the Mk3s. There's a long queue already, modifying sets for ScotRail, CrossCountry and GWR (Great Western Railway)'s 'Castle' HSTs.

The 40 year old HST fleet is knackered after its intensive use in front line service. That's why it's taking so long to modify them. The time taken and costs involved are almost on a par with new build.

Unfortunately we have a government and industry that seems to think that its okay to fund short term solutions (HST life extension, Class 230, Class 769...) in England rather than order and build appropriate new stock. Unless its for London, the South East or to appease Tory marginals in the North.

Rolling stock needs are not being driven by what is actually required. Instead it is the RoSCo's offering up ever fanciful 'solutions' for their aging and knackered fleets in an effort to earn a few more million quid from them. The RoSCo's then promise the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and TOCs (Train Operating Company) quick fixes which are anything but.

HSTs are not the answer for Cardiff-Portsmouth. Neither are hand-me-down Turbos. But that's what we've got to put up with until the short-termist policy changes. At the earliest that will be when the GWR franchise is retendered sometime this century. New build appropriate inter-regional stock is what should be ordered. There's plenty of appropriately designed stock to chose from, from a very healthy competitive rolling stock manufacturing industry.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2018, 00:57:57 »

I reckon Portsmouth - Cardiff has 8 trains in the cycle.
For example the 0823 departure gets back from its round trip in time to form the 1623.

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2018, 01:43:14 »

For example the 0823 departure gets back from its round trip in time to form the 1623.

Paul

That is the number I have seen quoted from official source too - together with a note that you really need 9 units to allow one to be away for heavy maintenance etc.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2018, 02:23:13 »

Paul

That is the number I have seen quoted from official source too - together with a note that you really need 9 units to allow one to be away for heavy maintenance etc.

So a choice of 9 Class 172s or 9 (4 or 5 car) HST (High Speed Train)'s with a small first class, trolley service and plenty of seats, I know what id go for.   I think St Philip Marsh is staying open, so with the current 11 Castle sets planned for Cardiff to Penzance, St Philips Marsh could be a day to day maintenance for both fleets and swapping the Portsmouth HSTs onto Devon services so they can get a full service at Laira?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2018, 02:39:50 »

So a choice of 9 Class 172s or 9 (4 or 5 car) HST (High Speed Train)'s with a small first class, trolley service and plenty of seats, I know what id go for. 

Two hypothetical options at present - though goodness only knows what bidders will suggest / offer in future franchise bids.

I think I would prefer to see a wider overview than putting a group of trains in place for a specific route - start with the premise the "we need 3 sets of trains - intercity, regional and local" and run multiple routes from each of the three pools.  That allows for a more robust service with sets being swappable between routes, a team of maintenance engineers who are more familiar with less types making them more effective, and the prospect of holding a higher number of fewer types of spare parts - again good for both efficiency and cost. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2018, 07:00:19 »

Two hypothetical options at present - though goodness only knows what bidders will suggest / offer in future franchise bids.

"we need 3 sets of trains - intercity, regional and local" and run multiple routes from each of the three pools. 
Which we would of had when electrification was completed on time and on budge, oh wait Cheesy ,
a team of maintenance engineers who are more familiar with less types making them more effective, and the prospect of holding a higher number of fewer types of spare parts - again good for both efficiency and cost. 
On balance I completely agree with you Grahame, but sadly the railways are in more of a mess now then back in 2015 when the GWR (Great Western Railway) brand was rolled out especially rolling stock wise.

Personally I never got why we lost those 150s and 158s during the Wessex Trains era, would it not have been better to send the 153s, 143s away, and get 150 and 158s back, allowing for a common fleet in the West area, then inject a load of money to replace all the pacers in the North and Wales, Instead it's taken another 12 years to get fairly close. Whilst the Castle HST (High Speed Train)'s aren't perfect they do have several things going for them such a reliability, comfort, cleared gauging along the whole route from Cardiff to Portsmouth as far as im aware. In terms of parts everything for them is scratch built and has been for many years now, whilst it has been reported about corrosion issues on the doors it can be fixed, it just depends how much money GWR and the leasing company want to spend.  Effectively, new floor beams, doors, reskin of the roof and body panels, a good interior tidy up, you could make them last another 10 - 15 years maybe longer its all a question of how much money they want to spend and for how long.

Edit just to fix quoting - Grahame
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:03:26 by grahame » Logged
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2018, 07:39:34 »

WMR Have 27 of them, and are gaining all LO units so in total 35 units. From what im aware Cardiff to Portsmouth requires 6 units?  That leaves 29 units, left for other routes

Class 172s are only 2 or 3 coaches long, surely you would want them doubled up otherwise capacity would be reduced from what it is today?
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2018, 09:05:33 »

It took four minutes at Bath Spa to board the 158 and you can see the extra two carriages are needed.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2018, 10:52:42 »

...Whilst the Castle HST (High Speed Train)'s aren't perfect they do have several things going for them such a reliability, comfort, cleared gauging along the whole route from Cardiff to Portsmouth as far as I’m aware.
All except for the direct line between St Denys and Fareham via Netley.  Problems exist for HST power cars with the bridges.  People usually reckon it’s the girder bridges.

Paul
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2018, 15:08:48 »

Yes, 9 sets was the figure I remember from several years ago. And the 172/9's for the route would have been corridor ends. They would have had to build more of them in the intervening period after being first mooted.

Not sure which HST (High Speed Train) power car type has the Short Swing Link for use over third rail that would get them to Pompey as an enlarged Castle fleet.

You probably wouldn't need the second power car on the longer distances and just have it as a DVT(resolve) and save weight.How many mainline registered 31's are there still about, might be cheaper to reengine a few of those and nice comfy Mk 2 stock with tables. Grin
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2018, 15:50:46 »

The Short Swing Links are a variant of the Mk3 carriage bogies and nothing at all to do with the power cars.

Paul
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2018, 21:30:00 »

Got the 0946 from Warminster to Salisbury this morning. Train re-hashed inside and out. Nice new dark blue carpet, lovely re-upholstered & re-cushioned comfy (4 abreast) seats with red/orange fabric, aircon working (as usual), everything gleaming clean..............heaven ! Of course it wasn't GWR (Great Western Railway) - this was the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) service to Waterloo.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: