Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:17:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Station stops cancelled 1/8/18  (Read 3929 times)
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2018, 20:00:50 »

I had to go to Chippenham for work today. From Bridport one can either go from Crewkerne or from Maiden Newton. Having seen the first down service from the latter on time I chose to go by GWR (Great Western Railway).
Returning early I decided to stop off at Bradford on Avon for a bit of late lunch and a walk by the canal. The aim was to catch the 1522 to Weymouth. It was on the board as 22 late and was then cancelled!
At 1541 a train came through without stopping, 150001. Clearly they had decided to skips the stops between Bath and Westbury. It was announced that the next service was 2HOURS later!
Annoyingly the return working of 150001 waits at Yeovil for 7 minutes and so, with smart working, was the skip stopping needed?

To make the most of a bad thing I caught the next Portsmouth to Westbury, followed by the Cornishman to Castle Cary and a wait in the sun for the next Weymouth.
Looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) over a few days this does not seem too uncommon.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 21:07:37 »

Annoyingly the return working of 150001 waits at Yeovil for 7 minutes and so, with smart working, was the skip stopping needed?

Looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) over a few days this does not seem too uncommon.

The Heart of Wessex has a lot of single track sections - so a delay headed south can quickly get mirrored back into a delay headed north.  And between Westbury and Castle Cary they've also go to be able to thread through without getting in the way of West of  England trains.

I have certainly seen cases where a train has failed to make stops or missed incoming connections by a whisker just to wait time not very far down the line (never mind your 'on the return journey') and it is highly frustrating - the balance doesn't feel right in those cases.   If there's little chance of catching up until the return journey, it feels more justified.

But the real solution is to reduce the number and severity of the issue that cause the initial delay - so that there is little or nothing to fix.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 21:17:40 »

The train is the return working of a Southampton to Great Malvern service. It seems to have been delayed going to Malvern Wells to cross over prior to return.
On occasion they have turned back the Weymouth service at Dorchester West. At least there passengers have the chance to catch a service from South station.

The choice of the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) route via Salisbury, although it takes longer, at least gives an hourly service and will be the preferred choice in future.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 21:52:23 »

The train is the return working of a Southampton to Great Malvern service. It seems to have been delayed going to Malvern Wells to cross over prior to return.
On occasion they have turned back the Weymouth service at Dorchester West. At least there passengers have the chance to catch a service from South station.

The choice of the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) route via Salisbury, although it takes longer, at least gives an hourly service and will be the preferred choice in future.

Know the train well - it's the 06:38 at Melksham  Grin Grin

Looking at feeds, it stuck me it left Bath Spa just five minutes ahead of the time the Portsmouth train was due, so cutting out stops at 6 stations probably helped get it back on time; from 39 late at Cheltenham Spa, that had been reduced to just 7 late at Weymouth.  For stations like Keynsham it meant a 60 minute delay rather that 30, for Bradford-on-Avon and Trowbridge, the skipping turned a 30 delay on the Weymouth train to a few minutes longer using the Portsmouth - the fly in the ointment being passengers such as yourself, bradshaw, travelling from an intermediate station north of Westbury to a station south of Westbury on the Weymouth line.

Turning this one back at Dorchester not a good idea - for sure people headed south can walk across Dorchester.   But headed back north, on what's a really busy train for leisure traffic - the 17:30 - would mean a 17:20 departure with just 11 minutes to dash across Dorchester - prams, kiddies ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 09:18:00 »

Yes, probably the best thing to do. However the line is not the most reliable currently and I wonder about the value of extending beyond Gloucester. I know this is mentioned in the GWR (Great Western Railway) review.

I wonder if the next GWR franchise might have a ‘Salisbury’ type DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) hub, feeding the services radiating from Westbury, rather like SWR» (South Western Railway - about).

On the brighter side, I did get my first experience of the IET (Intercity Express Train), complete with a fully operational 10 car set. The five car return from Chippenham reached 100mph at Box.
To complete the day, the crew on the HST (High Speed Train) Cornishman were exemplary.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 10:27:34 »

This line should be separated from between BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) and GCR» (Gloucester - next trains). Additionally, run an extra Bristol - Worcester service which would give an extra service to Worcester.

Gloucester MP (Member of Parliament) has said that he is working on a every 30m Bristol service so we will have to wait and see.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 10:49:04 »

This line should be separated from between BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) and GCR» (Gloucester - next trains). Additionally, run an extra Bristol - Worcester service which would give an extra service to Worcester.

Gloucester MP (Member of Parliament) has said that he is working on a every 30m Bristol service so we will have to wait and see.

Why this is done is that creating more through trains reduces the number of units required and avoids additional shunting moves and lengthy platform occupation at Bristol TM(resolve).   Such moves can only add to congestion leading on, of course, to delays.   The norm is that if a train from the Gloucester direction, perhaps, is running late a fresh train is started up at "Right Time".
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 13:14:16 »

The 1251 Gt Malvern to Weymouth has, over the last 8 weeks, a 24% arrival time+5min. It’s average delay is 27 mins.
Today it was started from Worcester Foregate, due to late arrival of incoming service.

http://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/Search?Op=Srch&Fr=Great+Malvern+%28GMV%29&To=Maiden+Newton+%28MDN%29&TimTyp=D&TimDay=10a&Days=Wk&TimPer=8w&dtFr=&dtTo=&ShwTim=AvAr&MxArCl=10&TOC=All&ArrSta=5&MetAvg=Mea&MetSpr=RT&MxScDu=&MxSvAg=&MnScCt=
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 10:26:24 »

I will piggy back this query onto this thread.

When is a decision taken to run stopping services non stop on this line? And when is a decision then taken about how to deal with those customers affected by that decision?

Yesterday's BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI))-WEY service due to run at 1448 from BTM was delayed and showed on the screen as due at 1502. It was thus due to run after the HST (High Speed Train) to Paddington, and Bath Spa passengers were duly advised to use that instead. It was only just after the Paddington service left that it was announced that the Weymouth train would run non-stop to Westbury. For those of us who were due to travel to Oldfield Park, this was particularly galling, as we could have caught the HST and, I was told later by train staff at BTM, would have been allowed through the gateline at Bath Spa with an explanation.

We (all the passengers left standing on the platform after the announcement) were then told to wait for the 1544 service, so a delay of an hour (and that service did run late). However, I protested at this and went to the platform where the 1522 service to Portsmouth was due to leave, and asked there why this couldn't be stopped at Keynsham and Oldfield Park. It was only after I made that request, and staff there then rang through, that announcements were made that it would indeed stop additionally at those two stations. So was this decision made because one stroppy customer, i.e. me, requested it, or would it have been made anyway? And what about those going to Freshford and Avoncliff?

Incidentally, I did note that at both Keynsham and Oldfield Park stations, it looked as if nobody got on the train. Normally you would expect at least 15-20 waiting at both stations in mid afternoon. So I assume the screens there had just said that the WEY train was cancelled, everyone then left to make alternative arrangements, and then the screen later changed to show that the Portsmouth train would stop there. That is what has happened at times when this has occurred in the past and I have been left waiting at Oldfield Park, and have watched other passengers slowly drift away. Which is what makes me think this was a very late decision, and in effect, too late for those passengers stuck at those stations.

I would just add that IME (in my experience) this seems to happen a lot, with services to Westbury from BTM often delayed, and then run non-stop.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 14:18:29 »

It also raises the question of what happens to those passengers at the missed stations who want to travel to stations south of Westbury.  A  two hour wait for them  Sad

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 14:29:58 »

Now then, what was the 1448 from Temple Meads ? 3 car turbo or 2 car 150. I was at the other end waiting for the 1730 from Weymouth which we had been warned was running 20 minutes late due to a train fault. Journey check earlier that day, had forewarned to expect a 3 car reduced from 5 cars. What turned up was a 2 car 150. I suspect this was the missing 2 carriages sent down from Westbury to replace the 3 car turbo that had been curtailed at Westbury. Matters were further complicated by a frustrated A4 Union of South Africa outside Weymouth station, with a rake of carriages and  failed diesel loco on her back.   She couldn't run into Weymouth station and then run tender first  out of Weymouth in case she failed too, and blocked the line ! Arrangements were in hand for a diesel loco to be borrowed from Swanage, but all that would take time. The 1730 left at 1750 with the passengers on the U of SA having been advised to take the rather less glamorous 1803 SWR» (South Western Railway - about) back to London ! The 150 made good headway back to Bristol missing out the 20 minute lay over at Westbury. It meant I had a 30 minute wait for a connection to Yatton, but that was only very minor compared with a major inconvenience or the London bound passengers on what was undoubtedly a very expensive day out from London.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 16:00:47 »

Now then, what was the 1448 from Temple Meads ? 3 car turbo or 2 car 150. I was at the other end waiting for the 1730 from Weymouth which we had been warned was running 20 minutes late due to a train fault. Journey check earlier that day, had forewarned to expect a 3 car reduced from 5 cars. What turned up was a 2 car 150. I suspect this was the missing 2 carriages sent down from Westbury to replace the 3 car turbo that had been curtailed at Westbury. Matters were further complicated by a frustrated A4 Union of South Africa outside Weymouth station, with a rake of carriages and  failed diesel loco on her back.   She couldn't run into Weymouth station and then run tender first  out of Weymouth in case she failed too, and blocked the line ! Arrangements were in hand for a diesel loco to be borrowed from Swanage, but all that would take time. The 1730 left at 1750 with the passengers on the U of SA having been advised to take the rather less glamorous 1803 SWR» (South Western Railway - about) back to London ! The 150 made good headway back to Bristol missing out the 20 minute lay over at Westbury. It meant I had a 30 minute wait for a connection to Yatton, but that was only very minor compared with a major inconvenience or the London bound passengers on what was undoubtedly a very expensive day out from London.

Interestingly, the announcement for the delay at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) said it was due to checking a track fault. However, when the train arrived, the staff member I spoke to said there was a train fault, and indeed the train went straight past the platform to the far end, and we were told it was being taken out of use. By that time it was past 1510 and i headed over to platform 11 where the Portsmouth train was due, so i never actually saw what train ran down to Weymouth or how late it eventually was (but it would have left more than 20 minutes late).
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 18:33:40 »

Yes, a two hour wait, followed by a claim which is for the 100% of the fare since the delay is over two hours.
This is then followed up two weeks later reminding them that the time given for them to agree to this is 10 days. An email arrives the same day agreeing to pay in full.
This is then followed up two weeks later enquiring just when the money will arrive. Currently at this stage.
See first post for events on the day
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 12:20:06 »

It would be interesting to know how the train drivers feel about this. They are given an instruction to run non stop through stations they would normally stop at. So presumably they do so seeing the people waiting on the platform for their train. It must have an effect on them.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: