22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 13:32:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[144] access for all at Devon stations report
[62] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[38] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[7] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bank Holiday Bonanza!  (Read 13638 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2018, 12:07:12 »

Brean is a regular dog walking spot for Finn and I. A great place for the dogs to run free. When the tide is out!

We'll occasionally walk up the Down(!) too. That is when my knees can cope with the steps. There is of course the winding access lane if a few hundred steps is too much.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2018, 17:52:34 »

And here we are at Brean this evening. De-stressing after work. Didn't go up the Down though. Too tired!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2018, 19:34:01 »

And here we are at Brean this evening. De-stressing after work. Didn't go up the Down though. Too tired!

You've got Billy and Gyp asking if they can come now.  It's a fair step for us though.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2018, 19:52:07 »

Billy and Gypsy would love it grahame. The far end of the beach, owned by National Trust is the best spot. Acres and acres of sand to run on, provided you avoid high spring tides. Dogs allowed year round. A National Trust cafe and shop, and an independent cafe too.

Then there's the Down. Well worth the hike up the steps or the switchback path. Once up there, on a clear day, the views toward Weston-super-Mare, across Bridgwater Bay, over Flat Holm and Steep Holm and across the Bristol Channel to South Wales are cracking. There's also the Victorian Palmerston Fort and the WWII (World War 2 - 1939 to 1945) gun emplacements to explore.

Attached is a photo of Finn and I on the Down last year. Me lying down recovering from the hike up the steps and Finn admiring the view!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 20:01:53 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2018, 19:57:46 »

I would concur, Marion and I went there during a Somerset Art Weeks a year or so back. There was an ‘installation’ in the fort which added to the interest. There is a lot to see, including an WWII (World War 2 - 1939 to 1945) arrow which pointed the direction to the aircraft.

Certainly well worth the climb, we avoided the steps and took the road.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2018, 20:07:54 »

It *is* lovely ... we did it once for a rescue event but by the time we took 3 trains and a bus out and the same back ... and hiked from the bus stop to the meet point ... well, they're getting a bit grey for that. Perhaps I'll see about d-r-i-v-i-n-g sometime to meet up with yous all.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2018, 20:30:05 »

You've got Billy and Gyp asking if they can come now.  It's a fair step for us though.

You can of course take the train to Weston-super-Mare then the Somerset Coaster bus (First Bus service 20) to Brean Village Hall. From there its a walk of about 1.5 miles to Brean Down. A walk that can be done along the beach.

Said bus service is usually operated by open top buses and runs until 28th October 2018. Runs hourly Monday through Sunday (half hourly Mon-Sat until 1st September).
https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/routes-and-maps/somersets-coaster

EDIT: Posted as you posted grahame. I see you've done the above in the past.

I of course drive across Somerset to get to Brean Down. Public transport for me would be bus, bus, bus or bus, train, bus. bus.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 20:44:34 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2018, 20:38:31 »

You can of course take the train to Weston-super-Mare then the Somerset Coaster bus (First Bus service 20) to Brean Village Hall. From there its a walk of about 1.5 miles to Brean Down. A walk that can be done along the beach.

Said bus service is usually operated by open top buses and runs until 28th October 2018. Runs hourly Monday through Sunday (half hourly Mon-Sat until 1st September).
https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/routes-and-maps/somersets-coaster

We may well ... though Billy finds he really gets thrown around on all those corners on the bus.  Problem is - he's a nosy dog and won't sit down, and greyhounds aren't exactly built for stability when standing and being nosy.  Also my own stamina would fail me on the walk.   Best drive some time; alternative is to stay away even that close to home.

Perhaps we should start looking for a forum Brean date?

Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2018, 14:43:07 »

Brean Down

Sorry - that was Imber on Salisbury Plain ... I think the original answer has got lost in a flurry of other pictures!

Ahh, thought it was like this

I hadn't seen that before ... very interesting!   Thank you.

The tracks in the picture were actually part of a testing area that was set up to test the "bouncing bomb"
A bit more information here https://www.britainexpress.com/attractions.htm?attraction=1946
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: