22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 15:20:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[116] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[106] access for all at Devon stations report
[45] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[5] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex Arriva 150's  (Read 16143 times)
WashuChan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 14:36:29 »

Would explain why we had a FGW (First Great Western) unit last night for the 22:30 service from Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour. Any idea why we had to have it replaced at all guys?
I don't understand your question, but if it was a refurbished 158 which is in FGW livery you are quite lucky as they are very nice inside.

Sorry that I wasn't clear, I meant that the 158 was replaced with a 150 refurbed by FGW. Was just curious why that was, and even more so as another 150 unrefurbed replaced a 158 this morning.
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 16:12:05 »

Would explain why we had a FGW (First Great Western) unit last night for the 22:30 service from Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour. Any idea why we had to have it replaced at all guys?
I don't understand your question, but if it was a refurbished 158 which is in FGW livery you are quite lucky as they are very nice inside.

Sorry that I wasn't clear, I meant that the 158 was replaced with a 150 refurbed by FGW. Was just curious why that was, and even more so as another 150 unrefurbed replaced a 158 this morning.
Simple, 158's are being refurbed super quickly meaning more are out at a time so more are replaced with 150's which are uncomfrotable for long journeys which is bad in short term but will be good come May when Portsmout-Cardiff will be operated by 3-car refurbished 158's.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 18:34:26 »

:oONE OF THE SETS WAS WORKING THE 16.40 FROM PENZANCE, HAD AN RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) DOING THE TICKETS MUST BE ON BONUS!
Arriva liveried 150229 worked the 0730 Bristol/Penzance and worked back on the 1508 Penzance/Bristol in tandom with London Overground 150121,153369 was then added to the formation at Exeter.

london overground? i think you mean silverlink county well actually it is fgw now just waiting on refresh once all the others are done.

when we recieved em they were from silverlink as it was just pror to london overground because fgw wanted all silverlink branding removed.
150121&127 are not on short term lease they are on long term to fgw now and as such are going to be refreshed like the rest of the fleet.
the only units on short term are 142's and atw 150's.
qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 17:45:31 »

when we recieved em they were from silverlink as it was just pror to london overground because fgw wanted all silverlink branding removed.

Not so. The units were returned to the leasing company by TfL» (Transport for London - about). This was because the London Midland franchise declined to hire two units from TfL for Bedford - Bletchey services. 121 and 127 became surplus.

This all happened after the end of Silverlink.

Incidentally the units were debranded by Silverlink as part of their (end of) franchise agreement. In the same way that all the Wessex units were debranded  in late Mar 2006.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 18:56:44 »

Not so. The units were returned to the leasing company by TfL» (Transport for London - about). This was because the London Midland franchise declined to hire two units from TfL for Bedford - Bletchey services. 121 and 127 became surplus.

Incidentally the units were debranded by Silverlink as part of their (end of) franchise agreement. In the same way that all the Wessex units were debranded  in late Mar 2006.

the units were actually de branded by st philips marsh because i saw it being done,management insisted it was done before they went out in service.

150121 &127 transferred here when silverlink/ct got split up,so we got them when london midland and overground were formed.

http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/showthread.php?thread=3307

not wishing to get in a slanging match but this is how it happened.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 23:21:17 »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but 127 was debranded BEFORE it came to us, a photo of it in London http://richard-armstrong.fotopic.net/p46761624.html . All units had to be handed to the new franchisee completely debranded.
qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 17:20:56 »

the units were actually de branded by st philips marsh because i saw it being done,management insisted it was done before they went out in service.

150121 &127 transferred here when silverlink/ct got split up,so we got them when london midland and overground were formed.

Indeed no slanging match required.

But.....

Debranding on our two units is identical to that done at Willesden on the TfL fleet. As per the phtotgraph put up by another poster Silverlink stickered over their bird logo in purple vynil. Dont know what you saw at the Marsh.

I agree we got these two units in your words "when silverlink/ct got split up"  But refining that statement:
 Silverlink handed over the assets and the new operators -TfL got the 150 fleet.
 TfL did not need these units for their services, LM (London Midland - recent franchise) did not need to sub-lease them prefering to use 153's.

TfL  declared them surplus. I understand TfL still hold the master lease on these units FGW (First Great Western) actually sub lease them on a long lease.

The RailwayScene thread you quote does not contradict what I have stated. It does speculate on what might be happening.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 19:13:28 »

Indeed no slanging match required.

But.....

Debranding on our two units is identical to that done at Willesden on the TfL fleet. As per the phtotgraph put up by another poster Silverlink stickered over their bird logo in purple vynil. Dont know what you saw at the Marsh.

I agree we got these two units in your words "when silverlink/ct got split up"  But refining that statement:
 Silverlink handed over the assets and the new operators -TfL got the 150 fleet.
 TfL did not need these units for their services, LM (London Midland - recent franchise) did not need to sub-lease them prefering to use 153's.

TfL  declared them surplus. I understand TfL still hold the master lease on these units FGW (First Great Western) actually sub lease them on a long lease.

The RailwayScene thread you quote does not contradict what I have stated. It does speculate on what might be happening.

point taken about the exterior branding.

what i saw being done was all the posters and alike inside were being debranded,staff from the marsh were using marker pens and power car blue paint to cover anything silverlink so i just assumed the exterior was done by them also.
management insisted on it prior to entering service you would think they would have more important things to worry about.
i was told they are not sub leased but fgw actually hold the lease and as such are having the fgw refresh once the rest of fleet is done,and then all the lm sets we get will also have the same treatment.
i suppose given time we will see what happens
qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 17:37:14 »

i was told they are not sub leased but fgw actually hold the lease and as such are having the fgw refresh once the rest of fleet is done,and then all the lm sets we get will also have the same treatment.

Indeed.

Leasing is a very complicated subject which I don't pretend to know everything about. But we've got these units for the long haul, which is no bad thing as they are better than most of what we already have.

I am looking forward to when the 10 LM (London Midland - recent franchise) stes get here
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 09:50:11 »

Indeed.

Leasing is a very complicated subject which I don't pretend to know everything about. But we've got these units for the long haul, which is no bad thing as they are better than most of what we already have.

I am looking forward to when the 10 LM (London Midland - recent franchise) stes get here

i think we are having more than 10 sets

i heard about 40 carriages plus 2 permanent 3 cars?
wait and see what turns up next year i reckon
mada
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 11:06:22 »

Do you think First will even stick a logo vinyl on the ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) 150's? Surely they confuse people who aren't aware of them?
qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 15:23:35 »

Really ? As many as that??

I had heard a rumour that 150 001 and 002  (the 3 car sets) were coming. But another 17 units (assuming the above are included in the 40 figure) would mean we could shake out those wretched 142's.

Bring it on.....

But as you say best to wait and see what actually turns up on the Marsh.

smithy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 20:02:49 »

Really ? As many as that??

I had heard a rumour that 150 001 and 002  (the 3 car sets) were coming. But another 17 units (assuming the above are included in the 40 figure) would mean we could shake out those wretched 142's.

Bring it on.....

But as you say best to wait and see what actually turns up on the Marsh.

my understanding is the 142's are on a shortish lease 5 going back this year and i believe the rest are due to go back when we get lm's 150's.
and yes i have also heard 001 and 002 are coming.

suits me if it happens the 150's from lm are better than ours in my opinion (not better looking than refreshed sets but better reliability)
WashuChan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 21:36:24 »

I saw with my own eyes at about half 6 today at Portsmouth Harbour a 3 coach 158 refurbed sat waiting to leave, such a wonderful sight at last!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2008, 21:40:06 »

I saw with my own eyes at about half 6 today at Portsmouth Harbour a 3 coach 158 refurbed sat waiting to leave, such a wonderful sight at last!

That would be 158950 http://southwest-railways.50webs.com/158950.htm
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: