29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 02:02:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Barnstaple to London Waterloo, Eurostar & beyond  (Read 10186 times)
befuddled

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2008, 21:38:25 »

As a non-flyer (a mixture of sinusitis, pressure problems, fear & the need to convince myself I`m trying to do my bit for the environment) I travel by train 2 or 3 times a year to Italy.
The nightmare part of the journey is always the British railway.
Eurostar have now moved &, rather than haul cases round on the Tube, I`ve opted for the free connection Waterloo East to Dartford & Ebbsfleet.
The online sites (e.g. trainline) won`t let you check timetables more than 90 days in advance, ticket pricing is a nightmare of confusion &, last but not least, the cost is appalling compared to European fares.
For example - Lille to Monaco TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) 1st class with all bells & whistles included is ^289 for 1312 miles (that`s less than 25p a mile).
Barnstaple to Waterloo 1st class open return (return date still outside 90 days Roll Eyes) works out around 89p a mile!
As one can`t even reserve a seat on the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Line you`ll probably guess that 1st Class isn`t something North Devonians even get as an option.

Is there a sensible reason why we Brits pay so much more for so much less?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 21:46:17 »

Welcome befuddled.

If you travel to Paddington you can get onto the Circle line to St Pancras with one short escalator down to the ticket office, so as painless as you will get on the tube. And you may like to know that there is a special ticket especially for Eurostar travellers which means you don't have to pay extortionate peak fares into or out of London (someone will remind me what this is, London CIV (International Convention for the transportation of Passengers)?), and may make the journey to Paddington more affordable.

befuddled

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 22:18:01 »

Many thanks for the welcome, John  Smiley

Yes, I`ve heard of the London International CIV (International Convention for the transportation of Passengers) (I think that`s what it`s called) but have been unable to get much info on it.

I went onto the Raileasy site from The Man in Seat 61 (I find that site really useful) but....... my return date is outside 90 days. You can guess the rest. I can`t get a return price for any comparison.

Thanks, too, for the Tube info. I should have added that, although I`m a relative spring chicken in my 50s  Wink, my other half is a Senior - hence the desire to evade the Tube if at all possible.

On this occasion I`ve already booked E* from Ebbsfleet. At least we can get there from Waterloo free of charge Grin

Hubby was on the phone booking the return to London - only to find out that he would have to ring again next week & pay an extra ^10 to reserve seats!

Despair sets in after a while.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 23:06:00 »

Quote from: befuddled
Barnstaple to Waterloo 1st class open return (return date still outside 90 days Roll Eyes) works out around 89p a mile!

If you can book ahead and stick to off-peak trains it's possible to get a 1st Class Advance ticket from Barnstaple to Waterloo for something in the region of ^30.

Quote from: befuddled
As one can`t even reserve a seat on the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Line you`ll probably guess that 1st Class isn`t something North Devonians even get as an option.
The Pacers we are currently lumbered with probably wouldn't even count as Third Class...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
befuddled

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 23:23:51 »

[quote TerminalJunkie]If you can book ahead and stick to off-peak trains it's possible to get a 1st Class Advance ticket from Barnstaple to Waterloo for something in the region of ^30.[/quote]
Ooo - tell me more, please.

I can book ahead (around 10 weeks before for the outward & 14 weeks for the return)
On the way out we have to leave Barnstaple at 8.35am to be absolutely sure to make the E* connection (17.45) - so that would be peak.
On the return we`d be coming back from Waterloo on the 14.20pm. I guess that may qualify for off peak?
If so, a saving on one way would be something.

I`d be really grateful for info.
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 07:52:34 »

Quote from: TerminalJunkie
If you can book ahead and stick to off-peak trains it's possible to get a 1st Class Advance ticket from Barnstaple to Waterloo for something in the region of ^30.
Ooo - tell me more, please.

I can book ahead (around 10 weeks before for the outward & 14 weeks for the return)
On the way out we have to leave Barnstaple at 8.35am to be absolutely sure to make the E* connection (17.45) - so that would be peak.
On the return we`d be coming back from Waterloo on the 14.20pm. I guess that may qualify for off peak?

You must wait. Wait until reservations are available and then book. It may well be an off-peak ticket from Exeter-Waterloo as you should be leaving there later. What time is it? Check every day until they are available and then book straight away.
befuddled

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 13:05:47 »

The prices offered are:

BARNSTAPLE to LONDON WATERLOO
Tickets /
Price
        From     BNP (Barnstaple)         From     WAT
                 To     WAT        To     BNP
       Depart     08:35        Depart     14:20
       Arrive     13:49        Arrive     19:08
       Changes     1        Changes     1
    APEX RETURN
    ^54.00                     *

SUPER ADVANCE RETURN
    ^78.20                     *

SAVER RETURN
    ^118.00                     *                          *

SAVER RETURN
    ^130.00   

SAVER RETURN
    ^144.40                     *                          *

STANDARD OPEN RETURN
    ^246.40                     *                          *

FIRST SAVER RETURN
    ^370.00                     *                          *

FIRST SAVER RETURN
    ^382.00   

FIRST OPEN RETURN
    ^387.60                     *

STANDARD OPEN RETURN
    ^404.00                     *                          *

STANDARD OPEN RETURN
    ^416.00   

FIRST OPEN RETURN
    ^618.00                     *                          *

FIRST OPEN RETURN
    ^630.00                      

I`ve tried by singles, by splitting at Exeter etc.
There seems to be no point booking early if flexibility is needed.

I still can`t help making comparisons with the continent & feeling that we Brits are well & truly ripped off  Angry

Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 16:12:39 »

Wait a week or two and Apex (Advanced Purchase Excursion (fare))'s and Super Advances should become available. Wait and you will save money.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 16:20:41 »

You mean Advance A/B/C Wink
befuddled

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 16:41:23 »

Wait a week or two and Apex (Advanced Purchase Excursion (fare))'s and Super Advances should become available. Wait and you will save money.

Really?
So, in actual fact, it isn`t a case of the earlier you book the better the deal then?
Thank you both.
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 16:45:11 »

Really?
So, in actual fact, it isn`t a case of the earlier you book the better the deal then?
Yes and No.
You have to wait until they release reservations, usually about 3 months in advance but after that it certainly is the earlier you book the cheaper it is.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 16:55:21 »

Indeed.

Reservations are released on weekdays approximately 3 months in advance. On weekends they're released 3 months in advance, unless engineering work details are unfinalised.

Use www.atoctravelagents.org - and go to Booking Horizons for the available dates. *Do not* bookmark the booking horizons page itself.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 20:09:54 »

0835, or is it 0840? off of Barnstaple is off peak. Savers and CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day'))'s are valid!
accidentalenglishman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 09:56:26 »

I believe i have read that if you take the train to connect to eurostar - it is free
befuddled

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 12:19:48 »

Indeed.

Reservations are released on weekdays approximately 3 months in advance. On weekends they're released 3 months in advance, unless engineering work details are unfinalised.

Use www.atoctravelagents.org - and go to Booking Horizons for the available dates. *Do not* bookmark the booking horizons page itself.

Very useful, many thanks! It looks as though Mon-Fri is available from 16th. I`ll try for quotes again then (or on Monday).

0835, or is it 0840? off of Barnstaple is off peak. Savers and CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day'))'s are valid!

It`s coming up as 8.35 I suppose they`ve moved it forward 5 minutes.

I believe i have read that if you take the train to connect to eurostar - it is free

That`s just on Southeatern, sadly.
See http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/at_the_station/terminals/ebbsfleet_international.jsp for details

We can only really make use of it when we get to London...... unless someone here knows different?  Smiley

Many thanks again for all your help guys.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: