Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 01:55 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 02:11:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Main walking route from Swindon Station to Steam! museum close  (Read 3428 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 03, 2018, 14:43:45 »

Main walking route from Swindon Station (and town centre) to Steam! museum closed

From The Swindon Advertiser

THE underpass linking Swindon town centre to the outlet village has been closed.

The Bristol Street tunnel is owned by Churchward PLC, which was served with a winding up order on 13 June. But they were awaiting further details from PwC (formerly PricewaterhouseCoopers) who have been appointed as special managers to assist in the dealings with the company.

The sudden closure has left pedestrians having to find an alternative route that doesn’t involve using the tunnel, which has added an increased time to people’s journeys.Users of the underpass has been in contact with the Adver to express their concerns.

Roshni Kerai explained: This seems such a shame, as it's an important transport link for many people to the train station and town centre.”

Des Morgan, of Haydon Wick, said: “It’s going to destroy that route between the town centre and the outlet.”

Adam Philips said: “This underpass is used by so many people a day and now it has been shut without any notice, disrupting everyone’s commute. They need to reopen it as soon as possible.”

The Adver understands that Swindon Borough Council are trying to come to an agreement with the owners to reopen it for public use.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 15:37:06 »

Churchward PLC was part of Carillion, and a winding up order was granted to the Official Receiver in June. So what has happened now? All it seems to have done was own and manage property, so I guess this property has been sold. But to whom?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 17:42:18 »

Churchward PLC was part of Carillion, and a winding up order was granted to the Official Receiver in June. So what has happened now? All it seems to have done was own and manage property, so I guess this property has been sold. But to whom?

Or will be sold
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 18:28:49 »

Or will be sold

I guess they might want prove to buyers there is no established right of way?
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 18:55:31 »

Ah this is frustrating as I don’t really know my way around Swindon out of the main centre. Is this the underpass where there is a little security shed at the end?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 19:16:56 »

Ah this is frustrating as I don’t really know my way around Swindon out of the main centre. Is this the underpass where there is a little security shed at the end?

Yes. Map attached; underpass highlighted in red

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 07:06:57 »

With the underpass closed it almost makes public transport the practical alternative to get to the outlet centre and museum.  However the road outside the railway station is a one way street heading the wrong way so you need to know to walk to the bus station/Fleming Way or Catherine Street by the railway village to get one going the right way.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 07:21:12 »

With the underpass closed it almost makes public transport the practical alternative to get to the outlet centre and museum.  However the road outside the railway station is a one way street heading the wrong way so you need to know to walk to the bus station/Fleming Way or Catherine Street by the railway village to get one going the right way.

What's the alternative walking route ... along the south side of the railway (the road is one way for vehicles, but 2 way for pedestrians, right?) all the way as it takes the name Sheppard Street, Bristol Street and Church Place then walk under the Rodbourne Road (B 4289) bridge to the far side - from the station - of the Outlet Centre.   Through the Outlet Centre to get to Steam, National Trust, Archives, new housing etc that were formerly accessed via the tunnel?

If you need access to the area to the east of the Outlet Centre when the centre is closed ... looks like an even longer walk around ... whilst you could exit the station to North Star, or get there via the old canal bridge under the railway, I don't know of any path under the Swindon to Kemble railway ...

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 07:28:44 »

The walk along Rodbourne Road under the bridges is not particularly welcoming.  The footway under the bridges is narrow and dark and not particularly easy if you have a pram/pushchair.

I am not sure how easy it is to exit the station to the north.  Signs suggest you have to work or have an invitation to the Research Councils in Polaris House to get out that way.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 09:57:01 »

Very interesting artwork in the tunnel ... to help people identify the tunnel ... it's the place this could be seen:

The walk along Rodbourne Road under the bridges is not particularly welcoming.  The footway under the bridges is narrow and dark and not particularly easy if you have a pram/pushchair.

I am not sure how easy it is to exit the station to the north.  Signs suggest you have to work or have an invitation to the Research Councils in Polaris House to get out that way.

I have never exited on the north side, but understand that the signage is rather more restrictive that reality.

The "new" bridge - I don't have a great number of pictures - looks like this

Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 09:30:14 »

The tunnel has been open for many years. It has probably become an established right of way, so would have expected notice before closure.

However if the North exit does provide a reasonable route to the Outlet Centre and Steam, the can't someone get agreement with the research councils for public use as an interim?

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 09:31:45 »

The tunnel was closed every night so that may have prevented it becoming a right of way.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 09:37:18 »

However if the North exit does provide a reasonable route to the Outlet Centre and Steam, the can't someone get agreement with the research councils for public use as an interim?

Both the station/research councils bridge and another underpass (old North Wilts Canal - which is now  cycle path) are on the other side of the Gloucester line and you have to go all the way to Bruce Street Bridges to cross.  So neither gives a good walking route to STEAM or the Outlet Village. 

The best option would be for Outlet village to buy the underpass from the receivers of Churchward Ltd.   
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 10:46:18 »

Presumably this is all tied up with the ownership and development history of the whole "Churchward" area. I found this in a lawyer's CV:
Tarmac/Carillion – estates management of Heron Quays, London; development and letting of the Churchward site in Swindon, including the letting of the Railway Heritage Museum; the sale of land at Atlantic Wharf, Cardiff for housing and development of a hotel
and also that Churchward House (behind Steam!) was bought by its current owners in 2006.

Presumably the tunnel was part of the railway land sold off for development, and some of that land may still be owned by Churchward, even if leased to others. Do any of the Swidonites (or Swindonists) here remember what happened?

This report from July shows that the main occupiers were unaware of any ground landlord, whether Churchward or another. However, that may just mean that such matters were left to "our lawyers" or "legal at head office" who never tell staff likely to talk to the Adver anything.

I'm beginning to suspect that some oversmart liquidator has spotted that the tunnel owned separately could be worth a lot, because it could hold the occupiers to a large ransom for access. After all, their job is to sell off the bits for as much as they can get.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 20:03:49 »

I'm beginning to suspect that some oversmart liquidator has spotted that the tunnel owned separately could be worth a lot, because it could hold the occupiers to a large ransom for access. After all, their job is to sell off the bits for as much as they can get.

(S)he may indeed be smart.  From one of our regular passengers ...

Luckily, I don’t have to use the tunnel but lots of work colleagues have been affected by it adding 15 mins to their journey times on foot. I was also told the pavement going under the bridges on Rodbourne Road was really clogged with people this morning. Hope it’s resolved soon.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: