Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 01:46:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: STAG Portsmouth-Cardiff Campaign  (Read 12188 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:27:07 »

From Severn Tunnel Action Group :

Quote from: STAG (Severn Tunnel Action Group) (Severn Tunnel Action Group)
SUBJECT- Cardiff to Portsmouth Service at Severn Tunnel Junction

Background:
There are basically two trains per hour from Cardiff that go through Bristol Temple Meads leaving half an hour apart and this has been the pattern for several years.

Historically these have been alternate services along the Bath / Westbury/ Portsmouth route and the other along the Weston Super Mare / Taunton route.

Severn Tunnel Junction was served by both services.

The December 2006 service saw the proposed total withdrawal of all the Portsmouth services from Severn Tunnel Junction. The Severn Tunnel Action Group (STAG) has been campaigning to re-instate all these services ever since, with partial success.

Re-instated Services:
The following ten Portsmouth line services now call at Severn Tunnel Junction: -

06:30, 07:30, 16:30, 17:30, 18:30 from Cardiff towards Bristol

05:54, 16:54, 17:54, 21:54, 22:54 from Bristol towards Cardiff

Proposed Re-instatement:
First Great Western have at present proposed the re-instatement of two more services in the next May timetable, the 08:30 from Cardiff and the 18:54 from Bristol (The 18:35 from Bath). Network Rail have blocked the re-instatement of the 08:30 but accepted the 18:54

Integrated Rail Transport:
The Portsmouth services connect in each direction with the Gloucester Line services at Severn Tunnel Junction.

The Taunton services do not connect in either direction with the Gloucester line services.

Neither the Taunton nor the Portsmouth services connect in either direction at Newport with the Gloucester line service.

Except on the occasions of the re-instated services listed above, passengers for east Monmouthshire and the Forest of Dean are forced to wait fifty minutes for the onward rail journey in both directions.

Integrated Bus Transport:
Monmouth C.C. has for years provided a local Bus Service (No.62) through the main part of the day. This is the only Bus service scheduled to call at the station. The service completes it circular route every one and a half-hours.

Prior to the December 2006 Rail cuts the Bus connected alternately with the Taunton and Portsmouth services.

Since the cuts alternate busses no longer connect with any rail services at the station.

Subject to resolution of an appropriate turning space Monmouth C.C. have developed and are about to introduce a dedicated Rail Link Bus service to cover the morning and evening peak rail services that are not at present covered by the local Service 62 Bus.

Effect on Journey times of removing Severn Tunnel Junction stop:
The removal of the stop at Severn Tunnel Junction has resulted in no reduction in journey times for the Portsmouth service.

The Departure times at Newport and Arrival times at Bristol are the same irrespective of whether the trains call or do not call at Severn Tunnel Junction.

The reason is the Portsmouth service leaves Cardiff five minutes after the up London service. It follows this train to Newport where it again leaves five minutes after the London service. As there is a seven-minute headway through the Severn Tunnel, those that do not stop have to 'hang back' to avoid receiving a restrictive aspect on the tunnel approach. Leaving the eastern portal of the tunnel there is a theoretical difference of thirty seconds in the timings of trains that have and have not called at the Junction.

In the reverse direction the times vary but on average the journey times of those that do not stop are now three minutes longer than they were in previous years when the trains used to call.

Other statistics:
In the year after the December 2006 cuts 90% of all journeys from Severn Tunnel Junction are to one of the thirty stations on the direct route between Cardiff and Portsmouth.

The withdrawal of the through services has resulted in a reduction of off peak long distance travel from Severn Tunnel Junction to Portsmouth (20%), Fareham (9%) and Salisbury (5%)

Support:
The re-instatement of the remaining twenty of the thirty odd Portsmouth services has received a total cross party support from Assembly Members and Members of Parliament representing the areas served.

The support is based on the wider benefits of Integration that the stopping of the services throughout the day will restore.

SEWTA backed the full re-instatement in the formal response to the First Great Western Timetable consultation in August 2007.

SEWTA Meeting 2007:
Extract of SEWTA Minutes of meeting held on 19th January 2007

2.3.7 DHa asked about the remaining Severn Tunnel Junction services which had not yet been restored. TSt replied that these were being looked at as part of the December 2007 timetable changes.

Requirement:
To persuade First Great Western to make Severn Tunnel Junction a standard Clockface stop on the Portsmouth services by giving consideration to the wider social economic benefits to users rather than limiting actions on the immediate financial effects to the company of stopping the trains.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
thefab442

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 17:00:33 »

NO NO NO NO NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not another stop! Shall we start stopping Portsmouth - Cardiff trains at Avoncliff?
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 17:03:21 »

Not another stop! Shall we start stopping Portsmouth - Cardiff trains at Avoncliff?

Take the Filton stop out of them. Personally, I think we should go back to when it was either STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station) or FIT.....

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 17:06:45 »

For one I agree with you but the rail groups would only moan  Roll Eyes
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 17:16:59 »

No, we're going to stop them all at Lawrence Hill, or should we build a special chord between Beaulieu and Romsey and call them all at Beaulieu Road?

EDIT to my Lawrence Hill suggestion...

They will call at Bristol Temple Meads... all stations down via Clifton Down then over to Bristol Parkway, reverse then to Cardiff.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 17:27:38 by swlines » Logged
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 20:13:59 »

Take the Filton stop out of them. Personally, I think we should go back to when it was either STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station) or FIT.....

Believe it or not, you can actually blame the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) for the fact that this topic exists.

Both STAG (Severn Tunnel Action Group) and Saltash Rail Users Group were set up in the wake of the December 2006 timetable fiasco. Both groups managed to acheive their objectives (reversal of planned service cuts) by getting stops inserted into services that could be classed as "fast." Having done so, its no surprise that they should want to build on that success.

Ironically, had the DfT specified the new franchise service levels along the same lines as the old franchise levels, it is quite possible that neither group would exist today. The London Paddington services probably wouldnt call at Saltash and the Portsmouth-Cardiff stops at STJ would probably be as Jim stated earlier.

It is also quite likely that Save The Train (and thus the First Great Western Coffee Shop forum) wouldnt exist either, as Melksham/TransWilts would still have 5 round trips per day.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 21:56:18 »

And Patchway!

I do think it should call at STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station) rather than Filton though.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 23:34:11 »

One of the interesting things about this is that STAG (Severn Tunnel Action Group) arent simply asking for this and expecting it to be given, no questions asked :

Quote from: STAG (Severn Tunnel Action Group)
PRESS RELEASE

^ Severn Tunnel Action Group announce appointment of Promotions Officer

^ Appointment results from recent meeting with First Great Western Trains

- Aim is to increase awareness and use of Severn Tunnel Junction by off-peak travellers.

Colin James, a retired geography school teacher with strong family connections with the rail industry, has today (Monday March 10) been appointed Promotions Officer by the Severn Tunnel Action Group (STAG).

Commenting Mr. James said ^I am delighted to be offered this opportunity to be involved with such a prestigious project. The development of Severn Tunnel Junction into a transport hub for South East Wales and Forest of Dean area seems certain to progress. I look forward to playing an important part in this.^

Chairman of STAG, David Flint, commented that Colin had been a member of the action group for over twelve months. He felt certain Colin would bring a fresh and powerful new focus to the team.

Colin comes to the role with an established appreciation of the local area, a clear recognition of the importance of vital stakeholder relationships, and a conviction that the railway has a vital role to play in the future of the area^s economic and social development.

The appointment has been made following a recent meeting with First Great Western Trains. At the meeting STAG lobbied for extra stops at Severn Tunnel Junction by the Cardiff to Portsmouth trains. They argued for this as Bath and Salisbury were among the most popular destinations from the station. However, STAG conceded that use of Severn Tunnel was low outside of the core commuter times.

Colin^s principal role will be to promote the use of rail travel from Severn Tunnel Junction. In this regard he will be liaising with local councils, tourist organisations, chambers of commerce, and the media. He will also be working with the train operating companies to ensure there is maximum local awareness of special offers, services or events.

Whether you agree that off-peak Portsmouth-Cardiff services should call at STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station) or not, you cant deny that they are doing all they can to justify such a move.

I wouldnt bet against them succeeding.

Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 01:54:56 »

I have a short phrase for them.

It starts with "not" and ends with "happen", fancy filling in the gaps? Wink

They're being far to optimistic.

What they should be doing is getting ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) and CC to retime the gloucester services/ call them at STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station). Not getting FGW (First Great Western) to retime them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 01:58:26 by Shazz » Logged
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 08:24:04 »

I had to bite my keyboard when I read the announcement, and my forehead is still sore.

They ALL do in the morning,  Angry Angry Angry.

That is the main thrust of my argument here.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1834.30

Lee

I've drafted a few bits and pieces re my earlier posts but at the moment getting them into a reasoned argument is very tricky. I agree with you that Bradford/Avoncliff/Freshford residents might be a bit miffed, but I'm with the original authors of the RPC report, and of basing the timings of any 'Main line' service on using the SSCT argument.

It's viewing the corridor as a 'main line' which has to be brought out, not necessarily the other factors which might weigh against a fast service along the route.

Not sure Filton could afford to lose services if passenger growth figures are anything to go by.

04/05     377,552
05/06     401,325

and growing.

STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station)  118k and 119k repspectively.

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 09:02:34 »

Believe it or not, you can actually blame the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) for the fact that this topic exists.

Both STAG (Severn Tunnel Action Group) and Saltash Rail Users Group were set up in the wake of the December 2006 timetable fiasco. Both groups managed to acheive their objectives (reversal of planned service cuts) by getting stops inserted into services that could be classed as "fast." Having done so, its no surprise that they should want to build on that success.

Ironically, had the DfT specified the new franchise service levels along the same lines as the old franchise levels, it is quite possible that neither group would exist today. The London Paddington services probably wouldnt call at Saltash and the Portsmouth-Cardiff stops at STJ would probably be as Jim stated earlier.

It is also quite likely that Save The Train (and thus the First Great Western Coffee Shop forum) wouldnt exist either, as Melksham/TransWilts would still have 5 round trips per day.
It's not too much of a problem stopping at Saltash due to the exceptionlly low line speed (15MPH) so it doesn't have too much of an effect, but STJ is on a piece of high speed line is it not?
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 09:59:19 »

Lee

I've drafted a few bits and pieces re my earlier posts but at the moment getting them into a reasoned argument is very tricky. I agree with you that Bradford/Avoncliff/Freshford residents might be a bit miffed, but I'm with the original authors of the RPC report, and of basing the timings of any 'Main line' service on using the SSCT argument.

It's viewing the corridor as a 'main line' which has to be brought out, not necessarily the other factors which might weigh against a fast service along the route.

Not sure Filton could afford to lose services if passenger growth figures are anything to go by.

04/05     377,552
05/06     401,325

and growing.

STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station)  118k and 119k repspectively.

I think, given the people/groups involved at Bradford/Avoncliff/Freshford, "a bit miffed" might be an understatement  Grin It is also worth noting that STAG (Severn Tunnel Action Group) are attempting to turn the argument regarding the RPC report on its head :

Stakeholder Consultation

Letter sent 5th December by Mike German AM to Anthony Smith Chief Executive of Passenger Focus pointing out the "Mainline they Shouldn't Ignore" Rail Passenger Committee report recommended the service pattern that withdrew the Portsmouth services. Suggested the report overlooked some of the serious implications and suggested a review was needed. Response received from Passenger Focus.

The STAG call for a review of the RPC report doesnt bode well for you when you consider that they have total cross party support from Assembly Members and Members of Parliament plus the backing of SEWTA, not to mention FGW (First Great Western) calling them the most effective campaign they have come across and proposing extra STJ stops to Network Rail on their behalf.

I think the problem you will have is in framing your proposals so they dont look like they are taking things away from others. For example, WWRUG» (West Wiltshire Rail Users Group - about) fought for a regular stop at Bradford-on-Avon in the Portsmouth-Cardiff service for many years, and are likely to strongly oppose it suddenly being removed.

Personally, I think that the time to implement the RPC report would have been when it was first published. Had that happened, it would have been seen (largely) as a big step forward.

Since then, of course, things have changed somewhat, which was the point I was making with the quote below :

Take the Filton stop out of them. Personally, I think we should go back to when it was either STJ or FIT.....

Both STAG and Saltash Rail Users Group were set up in the wake of the December 2006 timetable fiasco. Both groups managed to acheive their objectives (reversal of planned service cuts) by getting stops inserted into services that could be classed as "fast." Having done so, its no surprise that they should want to build on that success.

vacman took one of the issues out of this as follows :

It's not too much of a problem stopping at Saltash due to the exceptionlly low line speed (15MPH) so it doesn't have too much of an effect, but STJ is on a piece of high speed line is it not?

STAG have also countered this kind of argument :

SUBJECT- Cardiff to Portsmouth Service at Severn Tunnel Junction
Effect on Journey times of removing Severn Tunnel Junction stop:
The removal of the stop at Severn Tunnel Junction has resulted in no reduction in journey times for the Portsmouth service.

The Departure times at Newport and Arrival times at Bristol are the same irrespective of whether the trains call or do not call at Severn Tunnel Junction.

The reason is the Portsmouth service leaves Cardiff five minutes after the up London service. It follows this train to Newport where it again leaves five minutes after the London service. As there is a seven-minute headway through the Severn Tunnel, those that do not stop have to 'hang back' to avoid receiving a restrictive aspect on the tunnel approach. Leaving the eastern portal of the tunnel there is a theoretical difference of thirty seconds in the timings of trains that have and have not called at the Junction.

In the reverse direction the times vary but on average the journey times of those that do not stop are now three minutes longer than they were in previous years when the trains used to call.

It is worth noting that I dont actually disagree with what vacman is saying regarding Saltash. Ironically, the problem is often the perception of greater journey times that extra stops at places such as STJ and Saltash create rather than them actually causing any significant journey time increase.

My prediction would be that off-peak STJ stops would be in addition to Filton ones, rather than in place of them, so as not to upset the folks there, as infuriating as this will undoubtably be to some forum members.

Nevertheless, I await your proposals with genuine great interest, and the offer to help with them is still there.

Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 13:23:13 »

As said before, if they want rail integration, they need to push ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))/ CC to retime there services.

I dont see why FGW (First Great Western) should retime there services to intgrate them when it has a minimal benefit for them.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 14:22:23 »

One of the problems with the current railway is the amount of infrastructure that has been lost even on open lines.

If you consult Altlas of the Great Western railway by Cooke, you will see that many stations (mostly closed) had platform loops so that a stopper could be ressessed to let a fast go through. The most striking example being something like 10 such places between Padd and Anyho on the joint line via Wycombe. There were even something like four on the Badminton line. There were even  loops at some of the  recently reopend stations on the Barry to Bridgend line.

Then there was four tracks down the bank from Filton, 4 platforms in use at Taunton and Netwon Abbot and in the case of Taunton 4 tracks from Cogload to Norton Fitzwarren.

Coupled with lots of single lead junctions it's starting to get impossible to run anymore trains and have an adequate mix of fast and stoppers.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 08:16:51 »

Better still stop all Trains at PILINING!!!!!!!

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: