DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningShort Run
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 21:02:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which Stations should be (re)opened  (Voting closed: December 21, 2018, 17:04:54)
Ashton Gate - 19 (10.3%)
Aztec West - 12 (6.5%)
Badminton - 7 (3.8%)
Charfield - 8 (4.3%)
Coalpit Heath - 4 (2.2%)
Corsham - 12 (6.5%)
Flax Bourton - 6 (3.3%)
Henbury - 15 (8.2%)
Horfield - 10 (5.4%)
North Filton Platform - 8 (4.3%)
Pill - 12 (6.5%)
Portway Parkway - 14 (7.6%)
Portishead - 25 (13.6%)
Saltford - 12 (6.5%)
St Anne's / Brislington - 6 (3.3%)
Thornbury - 14 (7.6%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Stations for Bristol Commuters  (Read 9289 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2018, 20:55:44 »

I think I might have been one of those 7,though I don't remember now. I would prefer Hullavington or something in Yate/Chipping Sodbury on that line, but none of those was an option. My thinking is that Hullavington or Badminton/Acton Turville though pretty small places in themselves have good connections to Malmesbury, Tetbury and a larger rural area. I confess I might not have paid much attention to the "Bristol commuter" part of the question (although I do know people who commute from Bristol to Malmesbury – engineers at Dyson).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2018, 21:15:54 »

Of all the stations on the list, I'm interested to know what role people see Badminton Station fulfilling... it doesn't seem to be be near anywhere, and I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake when I voted for it!

Maybe or maybe not. Your earlier post quoting support for a what is now a suggested P&R (Park and Ride) there is maybe even more relevant now?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2018, 23:07:55 »

Of all the stations on the list, I'm interested to know what role people see Badminton Station fulfilling... it doesn't seem to be be near anywhere, and I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake when I voted for it!

OK - I admit it - I included Badminton in the list as a 'control' to see how many people would vote for anything - of 27 voters, 7 did ... but only 4 voted for Coalpit Heath, so perhaps the last laugh in on some of the voters who have looked carefully and said that Badminton IS a good idea but Coalpit Heath is not.   Comments welcome

Ah, well you tripped me up good and proper. Thing is, I think I was fairly negative about Breich station and may even have talked down Pilning, only to realise that there was more to these proposals than met the eye - so I sort of assumed that there must be a case for Badminton of which I was unaware...

Maybe or maybe not. Your earlier post quoting support for a what is now a suggested P&R (Park and Ride) there is maybe even more relevant now?

Is there a case for that now? Corfield was arguing for it in 1968, when a car park could have been built for 4d and Parkway was still a marshalling yard...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2019, 07:01:01 »

Thing is, I think I was fairly negative about Breich station and may even have talked down Pilning, only to realise that there was more to these proposals than met the eye ....

You're right, of course - and indeed if a development / park and ride / something else is proposed and gets taken forward just about anywhere - including in the middle of the countryside where a station on current traffic and flows of the area would be absurd - then it can happen and be an utterly obvious case.

Hullavington, Badminton ... either could be a very sensible catchment / park and ride for the southern fringes of the Cotswolds - Tetbury, Malmesbury through Corsham might well make excellent use of them, as might drivers flooding across the free Severn Bridges along the M4 and wanting to find somewhere to park up rather than drive into the cities of Swindon, Reading or London.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2019, 09:04:08 »

Bristol Parkway is already nearly full at the busiest of times and will be when all the housing developments which are currently in gestation are born and thriving estates it will be.

A P & R station at Badminton/Acton Turville will attract custom from the Yate/Sodbury area as it will probably be quicker to travel to there rather than to Parkway. There has been substantial housing provision in some places like Yatton Keynell since Badminton was shut and of course it will be close to the picturesque village of Castle Coombe and its nearby racetrack but then pigs don't fly.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: