What do I gain from registering? [here]
 tomorrow - WWRUG AGM
23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 02:05:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 39
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 - TransWilts cancellation and amendments log  (Read 106025 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #375 on: August 21, 2019, 19:13:28 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Wiltshire on the TransWilts reliability this evening - around 18:10

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 21, 2019, 20:19:02 »

I think you were remarkably kind in your comments about GWR (Great Western Railway).  I was wondering why you didn't say the number of cancellations in the last few days, but I suppose that would have scared off even more passengers.  I think you could have made more about the line being singled out when other lines with a more frequent service have been left untouched.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 21, 2019, 21:09:38 »

It’s always hard to know how many facts to include particularly on radio.  Unlike television you can’t put a slide up for people to take in.  With just sound you get one chance to absorb the detail. 

I think tonight got the message across without going into the finest detail which would only interest a small minority of the audience.  A minority who already know how bad things are!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #378 on: August 21, 2019, 21:19:22 »

I think you were remarkably kind in your comments about GWR (Great Western Railway).  I was wondering why you didn't say the number of cancellations in the last few days, but I suppose that would have scared off even more passengers.  I think you could have made more about the line being singled out when other lines with a more frequent service have been left untouched.

Thank you;  the situation has gotten beyond the stage of just sitting and accepting "these things happen".  The (radio) message is "this is not right and it needs to be sorted.  It is significantly disrupting journeys at the moment."  

Behind the immediate public profile, from Melksham and from the Community Rail Partnership, the "critical" in the "critical friend" approach the groups take has been far stronger.   We are not looking for platitudes, we are looking for real action - not for impractical perfection, but just for cancellations and delays that have an effect on a par with the rest of the GWR area.    

We can ask, cajole, persuade, put a case, suggest, help.  But we have no power to demand or enforce. Going deeper with the "critical" in public would reduce our abilities to persuade, to influence, to help - even though it might feel good (and it would have felt good for a few minutes) to let off steam.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #379 on: August 22, 2019, 07:15:05 »

Here we go again

14:10 Frome to Swindon due 15:07
14:10 Frome to Swindon due 15:07 will be terminated at Westbury.
It will no longer call at Trowbridge, Melksham, Chippenham and Swindon.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.
Additional Information
Road transport will be arranged to run in place of this service between Westbury and Chippenham.

15:19 Swindon to Westbury due 16:00
15:19 Swindon to Westbury due 16:00 will be cancelled.
Additional Information
Road transport will be arranged to run in place of this service between Chippenham and Westbury.

It was pointed out to me last night that TfL» (Transport for London - about) have lots of train crews in training and refresh but not doing much else as they wait for the completion of CrossRail.  And the question was asked "could not some of them be seconded to Westbury ...". 

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 22, 2019, 07:17:45 »

Here we go again

14:10 Frome to Swindon due 15:07
14:10 Frome to Swindon due 15:07 will be terminated at Westbury.
It will no longer call at Trowbridge, Melksham, Chippenham and Swindon.
Additional Information
Road transport will be arranged to run in place of this service between Westbury and Chippenham.

15:19 Swindon to Westbury due 16:00
15:19 Swindon to Westbury due 16:00 will be cancelled.
Additional Information
Road transport will be arranged to run in place of this service between Chippenham and Westbury.

It was pointed out to me last night that TfL» (Transport for London - about) have lots of train crews in training and refresh but not doing much else as they wait for the completion of CrossRail.  And the question was asked "could not some of them be seconded to Westbury ...". 

Route and Traction knowledge.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #381 on: August 22, 2019, 07:26:22 »

Route and Traction knowledge.

Correct.   But if they're sitting in London being less than productive, aren't they some of the way there already with all the other aspects of the job?

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 22, 2019, 07:54:08 »

Whilst I must be sympathetic to users of the Transwilts line, I must ask the question, "Is this a backlash of the policy of banning parents from taking school aged children out of school to go on the annual family holiday in term time." ? ? ? ?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 22, 2019, 07:59:17 »

Whilst I must be sympathetic to users of the Transwilts line, I must ask the question, "Is this a backlash of the policy of banning parents from taking school aged children out of school to go on the annual family holiday in term time." ? ? ? ?

Eh?  Huh
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #384 on: August 22, 2019, 08:36:37 »

I would be very surprised if a significant number of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s drivers and train managers had habitually taken their children out of school during term to go on a a family holiday, and have now changed that habit to the extent that they're taking annual holidays while the schools are out, and doing so above and beyond the needs of their employer.

A prudent employer with a mission critical operational role / contract should ensure that he adjusts the level and mix of his team to take account of such social change, which I suspect is a very minor element when compared to staff sickness, general holiday requests, training, working hour agreements and rules, and staff quitting.  And a prudent employer with a mission critical contract should routinely making robust plans that will allow him to maintain his contract even if all of those elements swing 'against' him at the same time.  I am not convinced that GWR have these robust plans as we seem to have limped from one crisis to the next with training, Sundays, sickness ... 

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 22, 2019, 09:11:52 »

I would be very surprised if a significant number of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s drivers and train managers had habitually taken their children out of school during term to go on a a family holiday, and have now changed that habit to the extent that they're taking annual holidays while the schools are out, and doing so above and beyond the needs of their employer.

A prudent employer with a mission critical operational role / contract should ensure that he adjusts the level and mix of his team to take account of such social change, which I suspect is a very minor element when compared to staff sickness, general holiday requests, training, working hour agreements and rules, and staff quitting.  And a prudent employer with a mission critical contract should routinely making robust plans that will allow him to maintain his contract even if all of those elements swing 'against' him at the same time.  I am not convinced that GWR have these robust plans as we seem to have limped from one crisis to the next with training, Sundays, sickness ... 

I know one young GWR driver who habitually took his main holiday at end of September / beginning of October, planning his marriage and honeymoon for same time and continued to do so after offspring arrived but now eldest is at primary school cannot do so.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #386 on: August 22, 2019, 09:23:49 »

Received overnight from Paul Johnson and Sophie Martin at TransWilts. 

Statement on TransWilts Services 21st August 2019

During July and August TransWilts services have suffered an unacceptable level of cancellations. We have made strong representations to GWR (Great Western Railway) regarding solving the underlying causes of the service problems and in the short term providing suitable mitigating action.
The primary cause of cancellations has been driver availability which is always more difficult in holiday periods when levels of leave are higher. This summer the situation has been exacerbated by sickness and a shortage of trained drivers created by the training programmes for the major December timetable introduction.
Resulting cancellations have affected weekend services and the evening commuter service. We do not realistically expect the situation to begin to get better until September. In the meantime GWR are now committing to providing a replacement bus service between Westbury and Chippenham when there are cancellations. The service will be included in the customer service information shown on GWR departure screens and on line information. For example, replacement bus services by Arleen Coaches were provided on 21st August with timings below

Paul Johnson said “Whilst accepting a replacement bus service is not the same as a train, this replacement bus service is provided to ensure that our passengers can have confidence in being able to travel and get home even if the train is cancelled.”
GWR have stated that “ We are committed to the route, to the CRP (Community Rail Partnership), to developing Melksham Station and to getting back to the growth we know the line can sustain. [Whilst] the next few weeks will not be easy…having a clear alternative in the bus service will help and as driver availability eases we should get back to the improved reliable service that we all want for our customers.”

"Graham I am sure your MRUG» (Melksham Rail User Group - site) users will want to know the situation, it will be useful to keep a common approach. I hope the bus service operates as planned, let me know if it doesn't.".   So  - please let me know of any bus issues or pass them on to Paul or Sophie directly.  It would be a help to copy me / comment here if you go direct, so we have common knowledge.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #387 on: August 22, 2019, 11:11:27 »

I know one young GWR (Great Western Railway) driver who habitually took his main holiday at end of September / beginning of October, planning his marriage and honeymoon for same time and continued to do so after offspring arrived but now eldest is at primary school cannot do so.

I suspect we're looking at more than one driver ... but then ONE driver is all we need. Now massive disuprtion 5 days out of the last six ... at 750 journeys per day, that's one driver short effecting 3,750 journeys. 

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #388 on: August 22, 2019, 14:10:43 »

As a picture paints a thousand words ...

Trains operating in blue and cancelled / bustituted in orange

How it SHOULD look (just a teeny tiny bit of orange at the top)

How it DOES look

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #389 on: August 22, 2019, 15:22:44 »

Facebook link to Press release on TransWilts site now added

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 39
  Print  

Jump to: