17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 04:37:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wannabe 165  (Read 2992 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 19, 2019, 08:36:05 »

From my trip home last night - 150/207 on the 22:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury

Looks like a "wannabe 165" ... 2 + 3 seating, big luggage area, and a couple of other things which I don't recall in the Wessex area before such as directions on how to use seats and door buttons.

Train picked up a lot of folks at Bath Spa - nothing like as quite as the pictures suggest

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 09:24:46 »

Wow Roll Eyes

I noticed the shiny new paint job on the outside last night, and the new accessible toilet (which can only be an improvement on the utterly useless one that was previously installed), but looking at your photos grahame, I can see that several other ‘enhancements’ have been made, including the fitting of CIS (Customer Information System) screens, new door control buttons (replacing the 1980’s originals, but retaining the ‘vintage’ instruction label - a nice touch! Cheesy), painting of the grab rails by the doors, and it even looks as if the floor covering’s been cleaned!

Good to see that much of it’s ‘unique’ (for GWR (Great Western Railway) anyway) Northern character has been retained  Wink
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 09:25:13 »

I love the bunk beds (top, middle) - is this the new Melksham sleeper?
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 09:36:03 »

I’m sure grahame would have liked it to be running via Melksham last night  Wink
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 09:40:41 »

No its the new stand in when the sleeper loco breaks down Shocked!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 09:44:35 »

Chance would be a fine thing.   

Melksham service still comes to an end silly-early in the evening.  Busyness (and it was from Bath to Bradford on Avon, where I got off) was noticeable - even some people using middle seats;  used private transport for the five miles from B-o-A home and as a result was home well over an hour earlier than I would have been on the late bus.

Serious need to extend services to start earlier / run later in Wiltshire - topic raised in the SWLEP rail strategy meeting / report last week so that need to extend may become "official policy" ... which doesn't actually get us the service, but at least helps unlock a door!

Edit to add

I’m sure grahame would have liked it to be running via Melksham last night  Wink

Tooooo true!   Need for late train is bubbling to the top of the "must do" list!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 09:50:50 »

Melksham service still comes to an end silly-early in the evening.  Busyness (and it was from Bath to Bradford on Avon, where I got off) was noticeable - even some people using middle seats;  used private transport for the five miles from B-o-A home and as a result was home well over an hour earlier than I would have been on the late bus.

Serious need to extend services to start earlier / run later in Wiltshire - topic raised in the SWLEP rail strategy meeting / report last week so that need to extend may become "official policy" ... which doesn't actually get us the service, but at least helps unlock a door!

Edit to add

Tooooo true!   Need for late train is bubbling to the top of the "must do" list!

I'm not sure later trains will run simply to facilitate your rock n roll lifestyle Graham!  Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 09:58:33 »

I'm not sure later trains will run simply to facilitate your rock n roll lifestyle Graham!  Wink

You sound just like Derek Twigg on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio 4 - "We're not going to run a train just for Mr Ellis" in early 2006.

Oh - we have trains now at the times requested.  And we've had problems like not enough space for everyone who wanted to travel ...

Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 11:54:07 »

Edit to add

This is why I said on another thread, that we need a Cheltenham to Westbury service via Stroud now and needs to be from May, I hope GWR (Great Western Railway) have taken my advice and read this forum. Then the Cheltenham to London hourly added as well. This would give Melksham a decent hourly service up until 23:00 at nights.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 12:00:53 »

You won't get anything this May at this stage as the Timetable is all but finalised now.   There are already 2 trains a day to Westbury via Stroud in each direction
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 12:51:24 »

Edit to add

This is why I said on another thread, that we need a Cheltenham to Westbury service via Stroud now and needs to be from May, I hope GWR (Great Western Railway) have taken my advice and read this forum. Then the Cheltenham to London hourly added as well. This would give Melksham a decent hourly service up until 23:00 at nights.

Yeah, not just Melksham, all routes going east of Bath need a better late evening service. Its not unreasonable to want to leave Bristol/Bath around or after 23:00. Buses few and far between at those times as well. And if you can't get back, then  it means taking the car in on the outboard journey.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 12:57:49 »

Or booking a taxi.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 11:44:40 »

Yeah, not just Melksham, all routes going east of Bath need a better late evening service. Its not unreasonable to want to leave Bristol/Bath around or after 23:00. Buses few and far between at those times as well. And if you can't get back, then  it means taking the car in on the outboard journey.

From the Lancashire Telegraph - riveting and relevant reading in Wiltshire ...

Angry commuters organise early-bird bus to Manchester as rail bosses refuse timetable change

Workers in Darwen have clubbed together to hire private bus company Travel Assist to take commuters from Darwen to Bury Metro Station, so they can get to Manchester before 7am.

There are currently no services in operation which cater for early starters, with the earliest train arriving at Manchester at 7.07am.

The move comes after a meeting last year between commuters, councillors and Northern Rail failed to provide any reasonable solution to the problem of accessing a train from Darwen to Manchester before 6am.

There is a growing need for the rail industry to expand its day return trip / commuter services to meet modern early start and later finish demands.   I look at the Darwen (population not too different to Melksham) article, and I'm actually envious of that 07:07 arrival - we can get to Bristol for 07:47 (07:29 with a 2 minute connection at Trowbridge) or Swindon for 07:48, and our last train back is from Swindon at 20:08,  versus 23:12 from Manchester to Darwen.

SLC3, which should have come in last December, specifies a morning train into Swindon to arrive there by 06:15 ... it does not change the service threshold though, and there was some concern in the draft timetables that a hole was going to be created in the middle of the day via balancing withdrawal of an existing train (and bear in mind that every existing train carries more passengers that the AVERAGE for all trains what was required for the service to be made permanent!  Although this was not the first choice of extra train, it would be welcome and it would be used, even at 05:30 from Melksham; it might take a while to build as people move residence to Melksham and Trowbridge / are able to take early start jobs in Swindon. It would also allow day trips to London for a full day in the office there.

Evening train back ... as a starter, that 23:20 off Bristol than runs to Frome also needs to serve Chippenham, Melksham and Warminster ... probably Swindon too.

The net result ... will be to bring us to no more than a similar setup to what Darwen has already ... and they're complaining it's not enough.  Which rather suggests we could usefully have even a further extension to the day.  A massive price has been placed on an evening train for us ("quote high enough and you'll put the community off"?) said to be based on the need for an extra crew shift for the one service.   How about moving up shifts during the day, having a crew start for the early train, moving up a daytime crew, and then an evening commute to late one - that way, you buy two extra round trips for the price quoted for one.

RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 13:03:52 »

The discussion regarding earlier and later services led me to dig out some old timetables for comparison with the service at present.

When Wessex Trains introduced the enhanced Melksham service, the spread of services throughout the day was quite good (although there were considerably fewer services than now). The January 2006 timetable had a 05:37 Westbury to Swindon service, giving an arrival time at Swindon of 06:20 Mondays to Fridays. The last trains were also later than present. Mondays to Fridays there was a 21:18 Westbury to Swindon service, returning from Swindon at 22:11. On Saturdays there was a 20:27 Southampton Central to Swindon service, returning from Swindon to Westbury at 22:25. On Sundays there was a 20:34 Westbury to Swindon service, returning from Swindon at 21:41.

The last train from Bristol towards Westbury also operated slightly differently. Mondays to Thursdays, the 23:10 service from Bristol terminated at Westbury. The last train from Portsmouth was booked to sit at Westbury for 30 minutes before heading to Frome, providing a connection out of the Bristol train. On Fridays, the Bristol train continued to Warminster. The last train on a Saturday night ran earlier than present as the 21:30 Cardiff to Warminster service. A connection was available at Westbury into a 23:45 service to Frome.

The Bristol to Swindon route has historically had a relatively early last train in that direction as a consequence of it being a former Intercity route as opposed to a former Regional Railways route. An option now could be a later Bristol to Swindon service that on arrival at Swindon forms a later service to Gloucester to avoid empty stock mileage. It is a shame that electrification to Bristol has been 'deferred' as a 387 unit would have been ideal for such a working (Bristol to Swindon) now that the units are stabled at Swindon Cocklebury sidings each night.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: