17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 04:49:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus and train tickets inter availability, 70 years ago  (Read 2881 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 21, 2019, 09:22:32 »

From 1949 - interavailability of tickets between trains and buses

How did we come to loose most of these facilities?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:41:35 »

They existed for a long time after that. I remember getting a bus transfer ticket at Birmingham New Street to travel back with my family to Redditch as the last train back was before 1800.  This would have been late 1970s, early 1980s.  I suspect the facility disappeared with the demise of the National Bus Company.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 13:07:20 »

I gather the service improved around 1980, so maybe it was a case that the option wasn't needed any more?

I've wondered whether Grahame's "problem" of too early a finish to Melksham could be solved by making rail tickets valid on late buses.  Or even GWR (Great Western Railway) hiring and running a bus service itself if the cost of running the service is too expensive as you have to pay the crew for a whole shift (which is nonsense, and suggests to me that at best GWR is not trying or at worst is looking for reasons not to improve the service). I'm sure a bus operator wouldn't charge for 8 hours of driving to go to Melksham and back to Chippenham.

Of course if GWR does have to pay for a whole shift it could run an extra couple of services earlier in the evening and actually get full benefit out of the staff and offer a much better service.  But I'm digressing now, so best stop there. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 14:28:33 »

There was a time when GWR (Great Western Railway) Oxford-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) tickets were valid overnight on the FirstGroup London-Oxford coach service....
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 15:21:43 »

There was a time when GWR (Great Western Railway) Oxford-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) tickets were valid overnight on the FirstGroup London-Oxford coach service....

Go-Ahead rather than First: they owned both Thames Trains and the X90 coach route (aka "Oxford Espress" [sic]). It persisted for a while when First got the franchise as FGW (First Great Western) Link.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 15:46:54 »

I've wondered whether Grahame's "problem" of too early a finish to Melksham could be solved by making rail tickets valid on late buses. 

We negotiated for bus tickets to be valid on the late bus on service 234 from Chippenham to Melksham and Trowbridge from January 2014. However, First bus withdrew their route 234 on 1st August 2014, telling people to catch the train which for that month ran to late evening - Portsmouth to Swindon - but to engineering works at Bathampton in preparation for electrification. The when the train services reverted to normal, people were less than happy at the removal of the trains! Frankly it looked like a piece of opportunism to shift the blame away from the bus operator and / or the county who had withdrawn the subsidy without - so far as we can tell - and consultation.

I would like to see rail tickets to Melksham accepted on the 21:30 and 23:20 buses from Bath Spa. But you would, no doubt, have a nightmare of easement and contractual issus to sort out, and the current train to bus connection times at Bath seem - well - designed to fail / make you wait an age.

The French ue a mixture of trains and buses ... I suspect Lee may be able to tell us if there's a useful model there.

P.S. Last bus Chippenham to Melksham now 17:35 ... connection off 16:30 train from Swindon.   22:16 bus left Chippenham station with double figures on board often in early 2014, but problem was that earlier evening services were not much used.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 16:54:00 »

Ultimately what we need is a bus around 22:30 from Bath to Melksham, and probably a similar one from Chippenham following the X34 route. Ticket interchangeability would be the icing on the cake!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 16:57:18 »

I’d go a step further. Ultimately what we need is a later train from Swindon to Westbury.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 17:13:45 »

Ultimately what we need is a bus around 22:30 from Bath to Melksham, and probably a similar one from Chippenham following the X34 route. Ticket interchangeability would be the icing on the cake!

We tried to get First bus to run a late X31 that ended at Chippenham in passenger service to Trowbridge as they're depoted in Westbury.   Adding a single run in one direction only was not attractive to them!  Agreed with the 22:30 - but I don't think there's a "spare" bus and driver.

I’d go a step further. Ultimately what we need is a later train from Swindon to Westbury.

Yes, and the rolling stock is available for a later round trip.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 17:21:33 by grahame » Logged

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 18:31:42 »

Ah, but how about spare crew...always best!
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 21:27:14 »

I've wondered whether Grahame's "problem" of too early a finish to Melksham could be solved by making rail tickets valid on late buses. 

P.S. Last bus Chippenham to Melksham now 17:35 ... connection off 16:30 train from Swindon.   22:16 bus left Chippenham station with double figures on board often in early 2014, but problem was that earlier evening services were not much used.

Presumably this is the big problem with commercially run services. There will be a demand for people to go out early and come back late, but much less demand in the intervening hours of mid evening.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 21:41:20 »

Some of these rail+bus (not PlusBus) tickets still exist today in 2019.

Looking at Taunton it's still possible to get a through ticket to Watchet, Dunster, Minehead.

But that's the exception rather than the rule. Go back just a few years and there were rail+bus tickets where you changed from a train to a bus at Taunton for destinations such as Wiveliscombe, Bampton, Langport, Somerton, Ilminster, Chard...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 22:54:54 »

I can remember the time when you could get Rail, Bus and Steamer inter available tickets.

Those were the days when the White Funnel fleet of paddle steamers ran from Hotwells but due to tide constraints couldn't return to Hotwells so you could return by the most convenient bus or train service from places like Weston, Clevedon, Penarth, Cardiff, and Barry Island.

CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 10:29:52 »

You still can get combined Rail - Ferry tickets, have done Reading to Sandown via the Portsmouth - Ryde ferry, walk-up ticket at Reading. Do similar Reading - West Cowes via Southampton (Note; jet ferry only takes folding bikes), and Reading - Yarmouth via Lymington Pier. All with "carta geriatrica" discount.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 16:39:50 »

The French ue a mixture of trains and buses ... I suspect Lee may be able to tell us if there's a useful model there.

Whilst there are numerous examples of routes with combined bus and rail timetables across France, in Brittany where I am, the way the overall network has been co-ordinated has seen a decline in this way of doing things in favour of routes that are either all-rail or all-bus.

Currently we have one route that has a permanently combined bus and rail timetable:

Quimper-Brest

We also have 2 routes that currently have combined bus and rail timetables while they await officially confirmed line renovation work:

Dol-Dinan-St Brieuc

Rennes-Janze-Chateaubriant

The rest are either one or the other.

In terms of integrated bus/rail ticketing, we have the Uzuel+ range, available in weekly or monthly versions, which combines unlimited train travel (this can be on TER local trains only or both TER and TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) express trains depending on your ticket option choice) between 2 points (eg Callac-Rennes) with unlimited travel on an urban public transport network of your choice from the following - Brest, Morlaix, Landerneau, Lannion, St Brieuc, Lorient, Vannes, Pontivy, Quimperlé, Quimper, Rennes or St Malo. You get up to 75% discount compared to normal fares, and your employer can cover up to 50% of the cost. Also, those bus services that are classed as equivalent to rail services (such as St Brieuc-Loudeac-Pontivy-Vannes/Lorient or Pontivy-Rennes) count as actual rail services for the purpose of this ticket range.

There are also specific bus/rail integrated tickets for the Rennes area, for the Rennes-Janze-Retiers route, and for the Brest-Quimper route.

There is also a network of rural/interurban bus services that dont have integrated ticketing with rail. However as a standalone add-on they can provide excellent value as they are dirt cheap at a flat single fare of 2 euros, including a change/connection if its made within an hour of initial validation, on routes that can be as long as Carhaix-Brest, Carhaix-Lorient, Carhaix-Morlaix and Carhaix-Loudeac to name a few examples from my neck of the woods. The exception is Morlaix-Roscoff where you can take advantage of the 2 euros fare AND/OR have through ticketing from the rail network.

Finally, where I specifically am in Callac, we have around 5 trains each way per weekday to Guingamp and Carhaix, but no regular bus services. However, we do have a transport on demand service that operates on Monday-Saturday and will pick you up and either drop you off in the town centre or at the railway station to connect with trains. This has a flat fare of 2 euros, which may not sound like great value compared to the same price for rural/interurban bus services, but is still execellent value compared to taxis, which are very expensive round these parts.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: