08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 09:41:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[185] A daily picture from my recent travels
[65] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[56] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[54] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[49] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[46] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your privacy / other member's privacy  (Read 4581 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 21, 2019, 13:17:21 »

Sadly over the weekend, the moderator / admin team had to ban a member from the forum, and because of subsequent behaviour I have also blocked his current IP address range from even reading as a guest.

Should you receive a communication from another member (or someone claiming to be a member) asking you to pass on a message to another member (via the p.m. system) or to tell the enquirer another member's email address if you have it, please refer the request on to me.

The fact that a now-banned member has had to resort to asking the small minority of members who choose not to hide their email addresses to help him get in touch is a good sign that the general security is working as it should, but never the less I am posting this alert as a reminder is no bad thing.

You can change your email address hide status in your account profile (Admin - Account Related Settings).  Changing this will NOT appear to make any difference to you, as you can always see your own email address, and even if you hide your email address it remains available to Bobm, Chris from Nailsea and myself; it's there for emergency use only.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 16:20:20 »

Sadly over the weekend, the moderator / admin team had to ban a member from the forum, and because of subsequent behaviour I have also blocked his current IP address range from even reading as a guest.

Should any member wish to communicate with the banned member, I have his contact details and a request from him to forward such things via email. Personally I will be glad to be able to get on with other jobs, but the offer is out there just in case!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 16:43:47 »

Pity it came to that. I know you can't reveal the identity but I'm sure I can guess... I hope the forum can now return to its previous friendly mix of informative and often amusing discourse, which has been a little derailed (pun intended) for a week or two.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 16:49:05 by patch38 » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 19:00:36 »

And I hope a certain well regarded member, somewhat exasperated by the banned member's actions, will return to the forum. Continuing to offer his insight, wisdom and knowledge on all things err, signal and telegraph related.

Without wishing to be seen as back seat moderating I do hope the forum's excellent 'management' team will extend an olive branch to said member. Come back S&T (Signalling and Telegraph). You're a fount of knowledge that this forum will be much the poorer without.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 19:09:14 »

Without wishing to be seen as back seat moderating I do hope the forum's excellent 'management' team ...

Flattery will get you everywhere.

Please be assured that the forum's team has been very active in managing the situation, and in repairs.  It' s not always possible to wind a clock back - you can make sausages out of pigs, but you can't make pigs out of sausages.

patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 19:12:19 »

You can make pigs in blankets out of sausages.  Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 23:04:11 »

And I hope a certain well regarded member, somewhat exasperated by the banned member's actions, will return to the forum. Continuing to offer his insight, wisdom and knowledge on all things err, signal and telegraph related.

Without wishing to be seen as back seat moderating I do hope the forum's excellent 'management' team will extend an olive branch to said member. Come back S&T (Signalling and Telegraph). You're a fount of knowledge that this forum will be much the poorer without.

Amen! Missing you, SandT! And BNM, well done with the avoidance of the mondegreen, which I am not sure many other members would of managed.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 09:39:56 »

...and I can add a new word to my constabulary!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 11:10:09 »

...and I can add a new word to my constabulary!

I've made a note in my dairy.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 12:35:46 »

I have to admit, I needed to look up 'mondegreen'.

I've now added it to my vocabulamary too.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 13:14:31 »

No, Tyne; no, Al; long aversion - hollow rhymes !
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: