22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 11:54:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[143] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[121] access for all at Devon stations report
[80] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[49] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[14] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[9] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where was TonyK?  (Read 3308 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 09:29:37 »

Aha - your no. 3 is at Kagoshimachuoekimae Station, showing a Kagoshima City Tram - which surprisingly enough is in Kagoshima City (Kyushu Island, Japan).
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 10:03:39 »

Time travel to future electrification has once again been my undoing. 😧

You are not alone, I'm sure. Maybe that stretch of the SVB already looks like that in a parallel universe running a few decades fast.

It's so true, in that one Forest Green Rovers are Premiership champions and my Happy Hammers have won the World Cup... again! 😮
Johnneyw has leaked us a spoiler from the next Marvel film, in which the evil Rogue Referee tries to thwart FGR's victory by taking them back to the 1950s and making them play with a leather ball!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 10:15:03 »

Since this thread has already segued from trams to not being taken seriously, this might even be relevant. Did anyone else spot this example of the Belgians acting up to their historical association with surrealism? From the NT News:
Brussels Hosts 'Tram Bowling' Competition During European Train Conductors Championship

Trams in Brussels, Belgium, rammed large inflatable balls down their tracks to knock over a set of pins during the European Tram Conductors Championships on Saturday, May 4, DH reported. This video, posted to Twitter, shows a tram rolling down the track on Rue Royale, next to Parc de Bruxelles, in an attempt to knock a large ball against the pins. Saturday marked the eighth edition of the European championship, which involved 25 teams from cities as varied as Moscow, Istanbul, Berlin and Vienna, Jan Pannus, organizer of the event, told DH. Laurence and Mesut of the Belgium team respectively won the gold and bronze medals for best drivers, STIB, Brussels’ metro operator, said in a post on Facebook. The next edition of the games is scheduled to take place in 2020 in Romania. Credit: Dannielle White via Storyful

The Twitter video referred to appears to be this one - and there's even an official website (though still showing as before the event). From that, it seems this was actually a German invention - first held in Dresden in1912 - which also rather fits with their stereotype. As the site says, with the straightest face it can muster, "If it`s true that nobody can resist an idea whose time has come, then the competition of the best European tram drivers will be one of the highlights of public life in the larger European cities.".
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 10:30:33 »

Aha - your no. 3 is at Kagoshimachuoekimae Station, showing a Kagoshima City Tram - which surprisingly enough is in Kagoshima City (Kyushu Island, Japan).

Absolutely correct - well spotted! (Or googled). The Dawlish-esque railway line is also in Kagoshima, on the approach to the main station from the greater part of Japan, so I will draw this to a close. Kyushu Island is the most south-westerly of the four main islands of Japan, and Kagoshima city is at the southernmost tip.

The reason I posted the picture of that stretch was not just to divert my attention for a moment from the magnificent Sengan-en gardens behind me, but to ponder the nature of coastal railways across the world. The area is seismically very active, with regular earthquakes. The weather includes frequent typhoons, and to put the icing on the cake, there is an active volcano a couple of miles away. Despite all this, the Japanese not only run a railway there, but have electrified it. What are they doing right that we could learn from for Dawlish, I wonder?

The other photos were just to make this a bit of fun as well. The Penang funicular railway was built in the days when we British ruled Malaysia. It's very hot there, and according to Noel Coward:

"In the Malay States there are hats like plates, which the Britishers won't wear"

so we built a railway to take the expats to the cooler hilltops.

The Kagoshima tram is a thing of beauty, and an example of how to do public transport with style. The vehicles themselves are reminiscent of the old Blackpool trams I went to school on in terms of technology - that is to say, somewhat rudimentary. They are smaller and have seats along the sides with plenty of straps for standing passengers. One boards at the door in the centre. When the tram arrives at the stop, the driver stands and turns to face the passengers, who disembark via the front door. As they do so, they either swipe or show a pass, or drop the exact fare (¥170, or about £1.25) into a machine. The driver bows and says "Arigatou gozaimashita" (a very polite form of "Thank you", in the past tense because the service rendered is now complete) to each departing passenger. The vehicles are spotless, probably cleaned by the driver himself. Not that this would be much of a burden, as litter, graffiti, and the other curses of modern day western countries are absent everywhere.

Tram bowling sounds fun! Perhaps the Belgians could lobby for it to be made a demonstration sport at the forthcoming Olympics?

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 11:01:44 »

Absolutely correct - well spotted! (Or googled). The Dawlish-esque railway line is also in Kagoshima, on the approach to the main station from the greater part of Japan, so I will draw this to a close. Kyushu Island is the most south-westerly of the four main islands of Japan, and Kagoshima city is at the southernmost tip.

I'd just about worked out that it must be that stretch of line from Shigetomi to Kagoshima, and even that the train is a JR Kyushu 817 series. So I guess I can claim at least silver medal in the Googling event behind Red Squirrel.
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 11:21:11 »

Two pages and I have understood barely a word of all that. English A level and comprehension are obviously no help to joining in. If the answer was Tokyo, was an anagram of the poster's name (apart from one small typo) meant to be a clue?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 11:32:12 »

Out of interest, did you bump into any Bristolian politicians while you were out there?

I looked in several places in Kuala Lumpur. Eventually, I was told that the man I was looking for was on a 2-day visit to Bristol.

Two pages and I have understood barely a word of all that. English A level and comprehension are obviously no help to joining in. If the answer was Tokyo, was an anagram of the poster's name (apart from one small typo) meant to be a clue?

I'm glad someone spotted that final subtle twist*! You are hereby awarded the Bronze Medal.

(*I didn't.)

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 13:11:50 »

The reason I posted the picture of that stretch was not just to divert my attention for a moment from the magnificent Sengan-en gardens behind me, but to ponder the nature of coastal railways across the world. The area is seismically very active, with regular earthquakes. The weather includes frequent typhoons, and to put the icing on the cake, there is an active volcano a couple of miles away. Despite all this, the Japanese not only run a railway there, but have electrified it. What are they doing right that we could learn from for Dawlish, I wonder?

It may be that the Japanese have become more fatalist than us, due to the number of seriously serious acts of nature they suffer But I can't help feeling that it matters more that the sea here is very much an inland one - only 20 km across, and with just a narrow strait connecting with the high stuff. Even that volcano glowering across the strait, and its friends inland, block weather from all directions.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 17:43:21 »

2. Tauntonoshima?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: