Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:28:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Seat Reservations turned on part way through journey  (Read 5332 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2019, 18:37:44 »

I was on the 16:36 Paddington to Cheltenham today. It was a short formed 5 car IET (Intercity Express Train) and was full and standing as we left Paddington.  The seat reservations were all off and I sat in an empty seat (I was first on that carriage so had a choice).

As we approached Reading the seat reservations were still off, but as we were about to leave the person next to me was asked to move because he sitting in another passenger's reserved seat. I looked up and sure enough the seat reservations were now on my seat was reserved from Paddington to Gloucester but the adjacent seat was reserved from Reading to Stroud. Our carriage was once again full so I hope the person next to me found another seat, but since the catering trolley was still stranded due to overcrowding I doubt it.

I am not sure how I would have reacted had it been my seat that the new passenger required, after all i had arrived in plenty of time to find an unreserved seat, but was not afforded the opportunity by GWR (Great Western Railway). This did seem to be very bad practice. 

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 19:44:44 »

I thought (emphasis on thought here) that seat reservations were not usually displayed on short formed trains. After all, whilst there might have been "competition" for your seat, there were 5 coaches worth of potential reservations that weren't going to be honoured anyway because those coaches weren't there. There might not only have been difficulty between you and the booker of the reserved seat; there coud just as likelty have been friction beyween somebody who had booked that seat and someone sitting in it who had actually reserved a seat, but his/her coach wasn't attached to the train.

To me the bad practice was switching the things on at all. A recipe for trouble...
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 20:23:03 »

I thought (emphasis on thought here) that seat reservations were not usually displayed on short formed trains. After all, whilst there might have been "competition" for your seat, there were 5 coaches worth of potential reservations that weren't going to be honoured anyway because those coaches weren't there. There might not only have been difficulty between you and the booker of the reserved seat; there coud just as likelty have been friction beyween somebody who had booked that seat and someone sitting in it who had actually reserved a seat, but his/her coach wasn't attached to the train.

To me the bad practice was switching the things on at all. A recipe for trouble...

The bad practice was forming a 10 coach train with 5 coaches.
TM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 20:25:32 »

I was on the 16:36 Paddington to Cheltenham today. It was a short formed 5 car IET (Intercity Express Train) and was full and standing as we left Paddington.  The seat reservations were all off and I sat in an empty seat (I was first on that carriage so had a choice).

As we approached Reading the seat reservations were still off, but as we were about to leave the person next to me was asked to move because he sitting in another passenger's reserved seat. I looked up and sure enough the seat reservations were now on my seat was reserved from Paddington to Gloucester but the adjacent seat was reserved from Reading to Stroud. Our carriage was once again full so I hope the person next to me found another seat, but since the catering trolley was still stranded due to overcrowding I doubt it.

I am not sure how I would have reacted had it been my seat that the new passenger required, after all i had arrived in plenty of time to find an unreserved seat, but was not afforded the opportunity by GWR (Great Western Railway). This did seem to be very bad practice. 

There were only reservations for A to E so does not appear to be short formed. 

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 22:41:53 »

Yes, that one is booked to be a 5-car!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 00:29:13 »

The bad practice was forming a 10 coach train with 5 coaches.

Your move, TaplowGreen.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 06:57:00 »

Putting aside the system being activated mid-journey, there remains the problem of people taking time to search / read all the labels, and having good geographic knowledge to then interpret them. A tourist joining at Paddington and travelling to Oxford may not understand whether a seat reserved from Reading to Evesham is available for him.

New technology / apps that access databases, and do image manipulation, can do amazing things (even beyond acceptable).  How about an app linked to your e-ticket - hold up your phone and the light colour on the reservation system can show red (reserved for your journey), yellow (reserved for part of your journey) and green (available throughout your journey.  A mark 2 version which attached to sensors in seats will turn green seats to orange if a seat is fully occupied and to blue if a seat has a lighter weight (such as luggage or a child under 5) occupying it.

I appreciate I'm looking a long way ahead - perhaps so far ahead it's fantasy.  But holding up you phone and - in the same time that a ticket barrier takes - giving you a display of seats that will work for you - seems an admirable way forward.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 07:36:29 »

Then why did the TM(resolve) apologise that it was short formed?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 07:47:59 »

Your move, Chris from Nailsea.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 07:53:55 by TaplowGreen » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 10:41:17 »

I don't know.  The drivers diagram is attached, which clearly shows it as an 800/5...

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 10:44:15 »

Quote from: grahame
Putting aside the system being activated mid-journey, there remains the problem of people taking time to search / read all the labels, and having good geographic knowledge to then interpret them. A tourist joining at Paddington and travelling to Oxford may not understand whether a seat reserved from Reading to Evesham is available for him.

How about an app linked to your e-ticket - hold up your phone and the light colour on the reservation system can show red (reserved for your journey), yellow (reserved for part of your journey) and green (available throughout your journey.  A mark 2 version which attached to sensors in seats will turn green seats to orange if a seat is fully occupied and to blue if a seat has a lighter weight (such as luggage or a child under 5) occupying it.

I appreciate I'm looking a long way ahead - perhaps so far ahead it's fantasy.  But holding up you phone and - in the same time that a ticket barrier takes - giving you a display of seats that will work for you - seems an admirable way forward.

I see a few problems with this:

1. Not everybody has a smart phone, and especially not tourists from other countries who have packages (like me) where international non-EU» (European Union - about) roaming charges are prohibitive if not penal. When I am in South Africa, for example. my lot want £3 per mb (yes that is not a typo - £3 per mb) when I can buy a 2 gig package locally for under £20.

2. There is already (or there is when the seat reservation system works properly) a traffic-light system just as you describe on the 800s. I honestly suspect that this covers the vast majority of reserved seats on the GWR (Great Western Railway) network at least. Other TOCs (Train Operating Company) will differ, of course.

On the matter of seat reservations in general, I suspect I could rattle on about it more than broadgage rattles on about buffets, but in my view the current system is a joke anyway. Seat reservations are being issued like confetti, resulting in many reserved seats not having their intended occupants in them through not being on the train for one reason or another, or sitting somewhere else when they are on it. Some people take no notice of them (like me - I tend to park by backside in any seat I like the look of and only move if someone comes along with the reservation - and I don't get asked to move very often) to others who treat it like an airline-style reservation.

I witnessed one incident a fortnight ago on a 75% empty off-peak Liverpool St to Norwich, where somebody came along and "claimed" a reserved seat from someone sitting in it (table seat by the way) when there were twice as many unreserved seats in that coach than reserved ones, and table seats to boot). When the reverse happened to me in the days when HSTs (High Speed Train) were dragging around two and half coaches of first class ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) for most of the day and first class advance tickets were virtually being given away, I just sat somewhere else rather than churlishly asking the bloke sitting in "my" seat to clear off.

On busy services (and I am thinking especially of Bath in the evening peak when the IETs (Intercity Express Train) are full of commuters going one or two stops and tourists going back to London) it can cause havoc with loading as people with luggage bugger about trying to find "their" seat, potentially asking others to move, whilst at the same time blocking the aisle and preventing people on the platform from getting on the train.

What can actually be done about it is debatable, but something needs to be done.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 10:47:21 »

I agree with most of that, Robin.  Though if you have a reserved seat as part of an advance ticket, then the rules state you should sit in that seat don't they?

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 11:00:53 »

Quote from: IndustryInsider
I agree with most of that, Robin.  Though if you have a reserved seat as part of an advance ticket, then the rules state you should sit in that seat don't they?

I thought that the main reasoning behind it was that the seat reservation ticket was the only proof that the passenger had booked for that train. I'm not sure that having to sit in the specified seat is part of the deal - certainly on the rare occasions that I have used advance tickets, and the even rarer occasions when it has been checked on-board, all the TM(resolve)/ RPO wants to see is the reservation and not to check which seat you happen to be in.

One way to get rid of the vast majority of superfluous reservations would be to go back to charging a small fee for them. In place of a formal reservation, those advance ticket holders who didn't want to pay for a reservation could be issued with an "authority to travel" ticket which would specify the train they had booked to use, but not a specific seat.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 11:17:48 »

Quote from: IndustryInsider

I thought that the main reasoning behind it was that the seat reservation ticket was the only proof that the passenger had booked for that train. I'm not sure that having to sit in the specified seat is part of the deal ...

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46546.aspx

Tickets are valid ONLY on the date and train service(s) shown on the ticket(s).

Where applicable, you must travel in the Class and reserved seat(s) shown on the ticket(s).

But whilst I have seen passengers being "kicked out" of seats so that people who've reserved can take the place they have booked, I have never seen any action being taken against people with advanced ticket seat reservations who've sat in a different and unreserved / unclaimed other seat.

On one occasion, I did ask someone who was occupying the seat I had reserved on an advance ticket to move to let me occupy it, and that "someone" felt I was being pedantic and suggested I look for another seat ... only moved grudgingly when I explained that my ticket was only valid for that seat.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 11:27:06 »

I have a reservation today for coach E. There is no coach E on the train.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: