04:50 Fratton to Bristol Temple Meads
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 06:06:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: High Speed Leeds to Manchester. On again?  (Read 3080 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2019, 13:04:24 »

Looks like the often talked about Leeds to Manchester High Speed line is back on the agenda according to reports on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page). It seems Boris wants to get on with it now but there has been talk like this before. Here's a link to the story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49132477
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 14:36:01 »

All I would say is be careful what you believe.

There is a blonde haired man running around at the moment telling everybody what he thinks they want to hear...
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 17:28:27 »

Well it's suceeded in getting a lot of attention from the Beeb. I would have been genuinely surprised if said blonde haired man had declared a South Western Powerhouse instead.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 17:37:11 »

We'll know if Boris is serious if we find out he has contacted Grahame asking to borrow his mapbook and crayons....... Grin
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 18:38:33 »

We'll know if Boris is serious if we find out he has contacted Grahame asking to borrow his mapbook and crayons....... Grin

Aff of its there already isn't it, it's called the Woodhead Tunnel, just head North-East out of the Eastern Portal rather than South-East as the previous line went.
 Roll Eyes
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 18:53:26 »

Aff of its there already isn't it, it's called the Woodhead Tunnel, just head North-East out of the Eastern Portal rather than South-East as the previous line went.
 Roll Eyes

I am sure the people in the area won't mind the power cuts when they remove the national grid cables from it!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 19:26:51 »

Roll Eyes

I am sure the people in the area won't mind the power cuts when they remove the national grid cables from it!

Yea but I would expect national grid to be that prudent enough to provide an alternative before removing said cables.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 19:34:40 »

With 3 tunnels is it at Woodhead, might the utilities currently using them be able to use the space more efficiently and free room up for it's original purpose? It's a lot cheaper than digging a new tunnel.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 19:56:34 »

Roll Eyes

I first thought of the Woodhead route too, and there are two sets of tunnels there (the original two single bores and the double bore dug for electrification), and I'm not sure that all four carry national grid cables.

However there are a number of other problems with using it, and the following have sprung to mind so far:

1. A new line would still be needed west of Woodhead, or at least certainly west of Hadfield because the existing line os full of local services. Even between Hadfield and Woodhead the line was not engineered for high speed running as it twists and turns to cope with the gradient.

2. Where it emerges at Dunford Bridge is not only still a long way from Leeds, it is a long way south of Leeds. This would make such a line look like an inverted "L" on the map. There would be much work to do to cut a high speed railway through the hills between Dunford Bridge (or Penistone) and Leeds.

3. The existing line between Hadfield and Pensitone, except currently the Woodhead tunnels, is a footpath/ cycle track/ nature trail and runs through a National Park. I can see the reinstating of the railway causing a stir in many quarters.

4. Taking all the above into account, if they gave me a blank sheet of paper and  said "plot out a route for a high speed line between Manchester and Leeds" I would start by looking at a route that runs parallel to the M62. This would have the advantage of being next to an existing transport corridor which was planned in the first place to minimise extensive disruption en route (it takes almost the least populated route across the Pennines that it is possible to find in the general area) so that might keep objections to a minimum.

It would also have the advantage of allowing road traffic using the M62 the opportunity to see trains running along the same route at almost double the speed that road traffic can get up to. There may be some psychology brought into play to make the motoring public at least think of using the train next time. This is not unlike the situation in Kent with HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) and the M20.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 22:55:31 »

Roll Eyes

Yea but I would expect national grid to be that prudent enough to provide an alternative before removing said cables.

Yes but the railway would have to pay to move them!

With 3 tunnels is it at Woodhead, might the utilities currently using them be able to use the space more efficiently and free room up for it's original purpose? It's a lot cheaper than digging a new tunnel.

I first thought of the Woodhead route too, and there are two sets of tunnels there (the original two single bores and the double bore dug for electrification), and I'm not sure that all four carry national grid cables.

The old tunnels are now in too poor a condition to carry the cables so National Grid bought the new tunnel.  And no there would not be room for trains as well.  This is the national grid we are talking about.

If they did want to reuse Woodhead tunnel for HS3 then I suspect the cheapest option would be to refurbish one of the old ones for the cables.

However the railway might also consider using the spare bores in Standedge tunnel!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:44:41 by ellendune » Logged
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 23:45:27 »

Yes but the railway would have to pay to move them!

And where would the railway get the money to move them then, THE TAXPAYER of course. Isn't it called something like THE VICIOUS CIRCLE.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 07:19:52 »

I think that was the point being made?! It's the way I read it
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 08:39:04 »

Looks like the often talked about Leeds to Manchester High Speed line is back on the agenda according to reports on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page). It seems Boris wants to get on with it now but there has been talk like this before. Here's a link to the story:

This is called electioneering. 

It is, in my opinion, with very little doubt there will be a general election before Christmas; so I fear the new PM and his Cabinet are writing cheques for projects which post  election can then renege.  The current PM is well known for glamorous projects, London garden bridge over the Thames, the moving Heathrow into the Thames estuary, the bridge across the English Channel...…..

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 09:21:41 »

This is called electioneering. 

It is, in my opinion, with very little doubt there will be a general election before Christmas; so I fear the new PM and his Cabinet are writing cheques for projects which post  election can then renege.  The current PM is well known for glamorous projects, London garden bridge over the Thames, the moving Heathrow into the Thames estuary, the bridge across the English Channel...…..

A written cheque is STOPPED, not reneged.

I'm wearing my JRM hat now
 Grin
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 11:07:22 »

I can see the merit of a new route that largely follows a motorway as suggested a few posts back.

However as many others have said this sounds more like a pipedream or electioneering rather than a serious proposal. Several factors mitigate against this actually happening.
Firstly Boris has previous for grand schemes that never happen, see an earlier post for some of them.
Secondly network rail have previous for failing miserably to keep major projects to time or on budget. Crossrail, HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)), GW (Great Western) electrification.
And finally, if these issues can be overcome, consider the decades of studies, reviews, and consultations that will be needed, many of which will need doing again after each change of government. Meanwhile the newts and bats are no doubt breeding, but not of course breeding to the extent that they are no longer endangered.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: