15:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 17:21:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[91] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[31] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[5] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[3] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Eggesford Station - services, facilities and incidents (merged topic, ongoing discussion)  (Read 28023 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 08:55:27 »

So is this another possible example of someone at FGW (First Great Western) reading the Forum, as you pointed this out only a couple of days ago?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 10:03:19 »

So is this another possible example of someone at FGW (First Great Western) reading the Forum, as you pointed this out only a couple of days ago?

In general, anyone who posts up on a publicly readable forum such as thsi must expect that their text is going to be read by a lot of people, including people the praise, people they criticise, and these people's contacts too.  In fact, the interested parties will tend to read much more (and much more closely) than people not concerned.   I expect (and know) that certain people who regard themselves as competitors of what I'm involve in away from this forum are significantly active of my work sites. 

Having said that, no-one should every regard a forum as a replacement for actually asking a direct question of (in the case of FGW) Customer Services or an alternative; there are lots of web sites out there and whilst I'm sure that we are read in various quarters, I wouldn't want to delude myself into thinking that it's any more that the occasional casual visit, nor that we have been the influence in "this" or "that" case.  FGW gets lots of other inputs, and the "hey - that's daft" in this case probably hit them from elsewhere as well!

To give you some statistics, this thread has been read around 430 times, from 268 unique (different) IP addresses.  A quick glance through them tells me that between 50 and 80 of those visiting addresses are automata - search engines or crawlers - which is why a google search for local door operation at eggesford brings you here, the rest look to me like they're real visitors, and mostly from UK (United Kingdom) IPs.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 12:06:46 »

Good news then
des5564

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 16:20:41 »

Noticed today the 12.40 from Barnstaple was 2x142 but rear unit locked with front one full and standing. Thought this problem had been sorted?
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 16:37:21 »

Welcome to the forum, des5564.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 16:37:36 »

Hi, des5564,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your post here!

Can any of our FGW (First Great Western) staff (or, indeed, other) members provide any answer to this apparently ongoing issue?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
des5564

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 16:49:13 »

Thanks for the welcome. I see the same thing happens every saturday but not sure about weekdays.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 17:39:09 »

Noticed today the 12.40 from Barnstaple was 2x142 but rear unit locked with front one full and standing. Thought this problem had been sorted?
In that case I would say that it was one of the new conductors (of which there are a few) working the train, who hasn't seen the new instruction. It still states on the diagram that the rear set should be locked out of use.
qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 18:07:10 »

In that case I would say that it was one of the new conductors (of which there are a few) working the train, who hasn't seen the new instruction. It still states on the diagram that the rear set should be locked out of use.

Believe one of the old hand drivers was responsible. His diagram stated 'rear unit oou' so he stuck to that rather than the briefing.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 19:13:35 »

That  service will probabally go back to two car in TT change, as the return no longer forms the PM Torre SChool train....

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
John R

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 19:38:30 »

on a Saturday?
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 20:07:05 »

on a Saturday?

Didn't check Saturday, but weekdays yes..........

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
John R

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 20:10:53 »

From previous posts the overcrowding tends to be on Saturdays, so hopefully someone will have thought of that if its reducing to 1 unit during the week.
des5564

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 15:20:32 »

North Devon Journal says journeys increased by 20% during first 3 months of 2008 and additional train being put on.
Julian Crow, FGW (First Great Western) general manager for the west of England said: "We are delighted to have been able to find the resourses to run this additional train and to meet the needs of passengers on this increasingly busy and important railway line. If growth continues at this rate, we will soon need even more trains on the line"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 15:51:43 »

Doesn't surprise me, Devon local services are very well used. Cutting the line off at Exeter would be suicidal!

I'd love to see figures for the whole of Devon
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: