Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:49:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticket check diary.......  (Read 3655 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: March 31, 2008, 10:00:33 »

Morning 1

No ticket check at all - ticket checkers got on at oxford but no check as far as first class before reading.  In line with my theory - 10.70 would have covered my journey this morning.

Running total = 10.70

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 16:42:54 »

I imagine revenue protection is more of a priority in standard class as more people are likely to not have tickets as *generally* First Class customers are trust-worthy (not that standard pax are  Cheesy)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 10:05:00 »

No ticket check last night - ^1.00 for a ticket to Reading West which would have got me on the platform

Cost 11.70

This morning - there was a check by a ticket checker who got on at oxford.    Cost 17.30

Total = 29.00

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 19:55:07 »

But unless you know which trains you are going to have your ticket checked, you can't total a notional "fare paid". You either take a chance each time, and risk (rightly) being caught for faredodging, or you pay the full amount each time.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how are you working out which "fare" you would have paid had you had perfect foresight?

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 06:41:18 »

But unless you know which trains you are going to have your ticket checked, you can't total a notional "fare paid". You either take a chance each time, and risk (rightly) being caught for faredodging, or you pay the full amount each time.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how are you working out which "fare" you would have paid had you had perfect foresight?

I observed over a month that there was NEVER a ticket check on return journey and never b4 Oxford on way down. Even when checked it was never by a train manager who had any idea where u might have got on.

I am not including non checks where the tm looks at me and basically says I can't be bothered - that is a check.

I would never do it but I pay 640 a month with discount and I reckon u could escape paying only 200 Osh in the current set up without much risk.

That's a he'll of an incenti e to chance it.

Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 17:51:17 »

unless your an honest person and the lack of honesty by others isnt a reason to join them.....

why is not being asked to have your ticket checked an incentive to not pay like others do.

I dont get asked to pay for my petrol before I fill up - I could quite easily drive off and not pay. Others do - I dont because I am honest.

I could walk out of the supermarket with shopping I havent paid for - Other do - I dont because I am honest.

I could eat food at a restaurant and walk out before I am presented with the bill - Others do - I dont because I am honest.

Your "i'm not asked to show my ticket so thats an incentive or justification not to pay" premiss is flawed.

By the way, you still getting annoyed when customers with standard class tickets either have to get off or join the train at stations with short platforms when the train is in reverse formation ?

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 18:35:57 »

By the way, you still getting annoyed when customers with standard class tickets either have to get off or join the train at stations with short platforms when the train is in reverse formation ?

Its not just when the trains are in reverse formation, 0938 HST (High Speed Train) from Charlbury this morning was in correct formation, just the driver elected to stop the train with the front carriages (ie FIRST) on the platform, mad rush of passengers one way to the rear and several cycles the other way to the front where the only powercar cycle storage accessable from the platform was located. Seeing the mad rush to get on via a single standard class door I got on in coach G and walked through to B only delayed slightly by an abandoned first class trolley service.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 12:47:10 »

unless your an honest person and the lack of honesty by others isnt a reason to join them.....

why is not being asked to have your ticket checked an incentive to not pay like others do.

I dont get asked to pay for my petrol before I fill up - I could quite easily drive off and not pay. Others do - I dont because I am honest.

I could walk out of the supermarket with shopping I havent paid for - Other do - I dont because I am honest.

I could eat food at a restaurant and walk out before I am presented with the bill - Others do - I dont because I am honest.

Your "i'm not asked to show my ticket so thats an incentive or justification not to pay" premiss is flawed.

I think what sparked this is the fact that I am an honest customer - yet last thursday got treated like a criminal for daring to find the train manager and explain why I did not have the out part of my ticket and that I would probably have to pay again but this was why......... and got accused of fair dodging

Yet they clearly leave open opportunities for people to do it - mainly because the TM(resolve)'s no longer check tickets after SDO (Selective Door Opening) was introduced and people seem to think that ticket barriers are the panacea to this - they are not - they just prove you may have spent ^1.00 on a ticxket to the next station to get on the platform.  But I think because the barriers are there - it is yet another incentive not to check tickets.

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 17:01:05 »

But I suppose part of the reason for the barriers is to take the pressure off the guard.

But I agree - it does not always work!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: