13:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 14:13:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[154] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[47] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Greta Thunberg in Bristol: February 28, 2020
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Friday 28th February 2020 - Greta Thunberg in Bristol.  (Read 19254 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2020, 21:12:40 »

The single large solar panel may have been serving a useful purpose.
I would estimate that it had an nominal output of about 250 watts under ideal conditions.
In todays very non optimum conditions I would expect an output of at least 25 watts, may be a bit more.

That would power a reasonably efficient public address system in conjunction with a very small battery, or even a bank of supercapacitors.
Each moment without speech to amplify, even just gaps between words, would allow the battery/supercap to charge, so as to supply extra power when needed.
50 watts peak/25 watts average is enough to amplify speech for a very large crowd.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2020, 21:36:48 »

I must get one.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2020, 09:37:11 »

It's far from the first time the Green has looked like that, though it normally happens toward the end of summer.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2020, 09:43:47 »

Grin

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2020, 11:29:10 »

A local radio news article has said that the appeal to repair the damage to College Green had now nearly reached £7,000 (very good indeed) out of a £100,000 target. 

What?  A £100k to repair College Green? 

I thought they were going to reseed it, not build a landscape garden.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2020, 12:54:10 »

Are network rail doing the repairs ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2020, 13:08:12 »

Where are they on the GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects)? That's the Grass Replanting Investment Process.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2020, 17:28:21 »

A local radio news article has said that the appeal to repair the damage to College Green had now nearly reached £7,000 (very good indeed) out of a £100,000 target. 

The target is £20,000. As I type the running total is just over £8,300.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/TurnCollegeGreenGreenAgain

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2020, 20:58:13 »

It cost £20,000 in turf alone and over 2 months to repair after the 2011 "Occupy Bristol" thing, according to a contemporary BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) report. It looked nice afterwards, and I am sure the council will see that it looks fine by summer, whatever the cost. I am sure the voluntary donations will be gratefully received towards it.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2020, 21:57:38 »

The target is £20,000. As I type the running total is just over £8,300.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/TurnCollegeGreenGreenAgain

I've heard that figure now as well but an early news bulletin quoted the 100k ( at least I'm pretty darned sure that's what I heard).
8.5K is doing pretty well but 20K still seems a lot for reseeding, unless it is going to be returfed (would that be really necessary?).
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2020, 00:17:06 »

A green area is pleasant, but I see no need for a well manicured lawn.
Shallow plough/cultivate the surface, placing grass seed and fertiliser in the shallow furrows. Then lightly roll to bury the seeds and stop vermin eating them all.
Fence it of until the grass is established. Prepare to water it well if the weather turns very dry.

After 6 months or a year, sprinkle about 10mm to 20mm of topsoil over the new grass. The grass will then end up with deeper roots and better survive drought or future rough use.

Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2020, 00:19:47 »

20K still seems a lot for reseeding, unless it is going to be returfed (would that be really necessary?).

Maybe the new grass specification allows for an increasing frequency and scale of climate action events, as the world warms.

Humour aside, I found some of the BTL comments in the local e-news appalling, although they reflect a certain standard that has become common in high places.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2020, 07:33:48 »

£2500 would buy enough grass seed to resow 16000 sq metres liberally and you'd have plenty of volunteers to scatter the good seed on College Green. Don't believe me, try Boston Seeds website.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2020, 07:42:39 »

It cost £20,000 in turf alone and over 2 months to repair after the 2011 "Occupy Bristol" thing, according to a contemporary BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) report. It looked nice afterwards, and I am sure the council will see that it looks fine by summer, whatever the cost. I am sure the voluntary donations will be gratefully received towards it.

I thought it cost zilch cos the firm, Craig West Turf from Avonmouth provided and laid the turf FOC (Freight Operating Company) for the publicity it gave them on the temporary fencing around College Green during that events sequel.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2020, 08:43:58 »

Here's an idea.....how about all the local schools from where the protesters who caused the damage came select 2 children who attended to provide the labour for the repairs, free of charge at weekends? (Wouldn't want to interrupt their education).

I'm sure as they're passionately committed to the environment there will be no shortage of volunteers, and it'll provide them with some useful real world experience?

Who knows, maybe Greta herself may pop along to help out?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: