22:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 22:47:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Melksham experience, last weekend  (Read 5281 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: April 01, 2008, 01:19:16 »

Determined to attend a very important meeting in Melksham last weekend, I travelled by train, as follows:

Friday evening - FGW (First Great Western) to Chippenham, to catch the vital 1901 connection to Melksham.  I decided to catch the 1813 from Bath Spa (arriving Chippenham at 1824), rather than the 1843 (arriving Chippenham at 1855), just in case ... and I was glad I did!

The 1813 from Bath Spa went well until approaching Box Tunnel, but then stopped, apparently in the middle of nowhere. After several false starts by the train manager, trying to make announcements explaining the reason for the delay, we were told that 'there was a fault with the train but the driver was rectifying it'. We then resumed our journey, although there were loud mechanical noises from under the carriage I was sitting in. We arrived at Chippenham, late - but still in plenty of time for me to make that vital connection with the 1901 to Melksham!

I sat at Chippenham, waiting for the train National Rail Enquiries had suggested I should catch, the 1843 from Bath Spa. Initially shown on the screens as 'on time', that service started slipping, eventually arriving not at 1855 but at 1905. Not to be outdone, the train from Swindon that was to form my connection to Melksham was also delayed - but arrived at 1904!  Therefore, as the delayed Chippenham to Melksham train departed, just as the delayed 1843 Bath Spa to Chippenham arrived, I would have missed the connection and spent a very cold and lonely night on the platform at Chippenham, if I hadn't caught that previous HST (High Speed Train) from Bath Spa!

The following day (after attending a very worthwhile meeting), I caught the 1519 from Melksham to Chippenham, for my connection to Bristol Temple Meads.  I was the only passenger waiting at Melksham: the 1519 was a 143, with two staff in the front cab.  The train stopped, and I pressed the door open button opposite me (at the rear of the train): no reaction, but the conductor gestured me right up to the front of the train (single door opened only) for me to get on the train!  I dutifully jogged up to her single opened door, squeezed in, and we departed.  She checked my ticket as she went through the train (confirming that I was going to change at Chippenham, with a cheery smile!) and disappeared into the back cab.  I then realised, I was the only passenger on the whole train!

We got to Chippenham: I got off, and as far as I could see, nobody got on: therefore that train (with three crew) ran empty to Swindon.

The rest of my journey home went like clockwork, by the way!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:59:08 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 07:10:52 »

Chris, thanks for posting that follow up.

It's extemely awkward to know whether or not to publicise an empty train during our campaign for an appropriate service, but I think that we should lay out all the facts, and look at the reasons behind them, and ask how it can be done better.  And in this case / the case of this line, we have a history of doing far, far better that can be looked at.

At the time Chris caught his train on Saturday, there had not been a single southbound journey - the first of the day ran at 16:29 - so there was no possibility of returning passengers from day trips being on the train.  And indeed there wasn't another Northbound service to come as this was the last of two.   Saturday service is very odd indeed; two options for people who were on this train in terms of getting back - either stay on board (and even that is not normally possible) and come straight back from Swindon, of wait until 9 p.m.

So ... the service on Saturday was badly timed, and sparse.  It was also unusual for it to actually run!  I think last weekend may have been the first since 1st December 2007 when all the trains actually ran, even if not to the normally published schedule.  (I may have overlooked one or two weekends in between, but not many).   And so the weekend timetable is something of a work of fiction.  So many people have been disappointed; I can tell you of so many occasions where people have been left stranded at Melksham station - a few of us know to phone, to nag First to provide an alternative, and to check ahead but the majority of prospective customers become disenfracnchised.

What did Saturday services used to be? Busy! If not, perhaps, too busy in the afternoon train up to Swindon.   I would have expected around a couple of dozen to forty on the morning peak train up to Swindon, a dozen or so on the middle of the day round trip, a very well loaded train back after the soccer match and the mid evening train with stragglers being the quietest of the day.   Always very much aware that running the Santa Special - a two coach train - we had lo leave one coach for Jo Public and it would be packed

I would propose that on a Saturday, a similar service to the suggested Monday to Friday timetable should run.  The utter indefensibiliity of the timings that First have chosen (there are no SLC (Service Level Commitment) restrictions on timing) and the negative effect it has on passengers is graphically illustrated by your post, Chris.   

All weekend trains should run on - say - at least 80% of weekends; as a bare minimum, arriving in Swindon at around 08:45 and leaving at around 17:30.   An 09:00 return / another up service to arrive to form the 17:30 would be sensible - as would two middle-of-the-day round trips.

And ... just look back to 2006 to see that this service, with better reliability and some publicity, WOULD get used!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 19:39:02 »

Here's my Melksham experience too for anyone interested!  Grin

I caught the 09:18 at Melksham, Chippenham bound on Saturday. It was a 143, comfortable and on time. A friendly lady conductor greeted me there. 3 got on at Melksham- me, and 2 other people who were off on a day trip to Swindon.  A mother and child arrived a bit earlier too, but it looked like they'll be travelling another day. "Maybe next week..."

I counted 13 on the train. 4 got off at Chippenham and about 8 got on there, to Swindon. I caught the HST (High Speed Train) back to Bath with a change there to Oldfield Park- the only issue happened ay Bath Spa with football yobs (see the other thread for more info on that).

As for Melksham station itself- I will post a more thorough report later on Save The Train. The station did seem nondescript- although well signed from the town, I felt it could certainly do with some better signage at the station approach itself such as one of those tall BR (British Rail(ways)) logo signs seen at most other stations. The station itself needs a map of the local area - all other stations I know have one. And the "Way out" sign is the wrong way- as Graham knows Grin but it was quite nice waiting for the train to arrive. There is a shelter, a welcoming long seat and bike rack- I noted there is the NCN Cycle route very close nearby, perhaps a chance of potential there!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: