22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:40 Reading to London Paddington
23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 23:20:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: PM Enters Future Of FGW Franchise Debate  (Read 9777 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:20:17 »

Gordon Brown last night put First Great Western on notice to improve or lose its franchise, saying, ^m on the side of the passenger^ (link below.)
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/politics-news/2008/04/01/brown-tells-first-great-western-it-s-near-the-end-of-the-line-91466-20699519/

In an interview with the Western Mail, the Prime Minister said he was aware of the problems being experienced by people travelling by rail between South Wales and London, and said it was time for improvements.

Quote from: Gordon Brown
^First Great Western is now required to produce a remedial plan in order to set out how it^s going to get its performance back on track,^ Mr Brown said.

^The Secretary of State [Ruth Kelly] then has the power to take away the franchise if they don^t implement it.

^We are determined to be on the side of the passengers and people who want better rail services; I can assure you that we want better services and that remedial plan has got to be of a high enough standard to enable us to tell customers the changes that have been made,^ he added.

More article links.
http://thisiscornwall.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=144125&command=displayContent&sourceNode=232510&home=yes&more_nodeId1=232470&contentPK=20284587

http://thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=144913&command=displayContent&sourceNode=231190&home=yes&more_nodeId1=144922&contentPK=20287524

As well as warning the firm that its franchise would be withdrawn if serious improvements were not made, Mr Brown said cash had been set aside for investment in all forms of public transport over the next three years.

First spokesman Lance Cole said:

Quote from: Lance Cole
"First Great Western has agreed and put in place an improvement plan with the Department of Transport.

"We have a range of passenger benefits as part of the plan and we are already seeing indications of improved performance and this includes our latest public performance measure figures and cancellation rates, which demonstrate consistent improvement and that we are moving in the right direction.

"We know we need to deliver consistently across the First Great Western network for all our customers and we are working hard to achieve this."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 11:45:04 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 13:00:19 »

I have to say... I think that it won't be long now. If First do not up their game.

What will happen to First's HSTs (High Speed Train) (I think they own some) - will the gov compulsory purchase them?

Shame- it looked like FGW (First Great Western) was getting back on track...
zebedee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 14:45:52 »

On the surface it sounds great, the government on the side of the people, etc, however, as I have not a single electron of confidence in anyone at no. 10 I'll take this with a giant mountain of salt........
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 14:59:45 »

With all the current fuss about T5, it's hard to imagine how the government has allowed FGW (First Great Western) saga to drift for this long.

FGW have certainly improved over this time, but the drop in service when they took over has still not been resolved.

The irony of the government cancelling FGW contract is that NR» (Network Rail - home page) and DfT» (Department for Transport - about) must share part of the blame

swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 15:57:38 »

I have to say... I think that it won't be long now. If First do not up their game.

What will happen to First's HSTs (High Speed Train) (I think they own some) - will the gov compulsory purchase them?

Shame- it looked like FGW (First Great Western) was getting back on track...
Any HST currently owned by First will remain owned by First and can be leased by the next franchise holder if required - if not, I can see them going to Hull Trains!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 16:12:58 »

Havn't things improved  Huh
willc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 18:01:49 »

Ever heard of political posturing, because that's all this is, just in time for the local elections. He can't very well say it's all been going swimmingly, can he?

As is clear from what Brown said, he (like Ruth Kelly) doesn't actually know what he's talking about, as he says FGW (First Great Western) "is now required to produce a remedial plan". There are umpteen remedial plans in place already, not least the joint FGW-Network Rail one to deal with lousy punctuality.

And the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) mandarins really don't want to dump FGW, because if this happened their role would come under just as much scrutiny as First's failings, such as the franchising process itself and rolling stock allocations. And as the rail regulator made clear last week, Network Rail deserves a good slice of the blame too.

This is a very different situation from Connex South East being stripped of its franchise, where the operator's performance just stank and it was showing no signs of getting to grips with the problems. FGW is far from perfect, but there has been a marked improvement since the debacle at the end of December and start of January.

What we need now is a sustained period of managers concentrating on driving up performance. A government takeover and refranchising would distract everyone from this and see Andrew Haines and other senior managers who now have a handle on the situation going off to do other jobs within First Group, putting things back to square one for months on end.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 18:22:21 »

As for senior managers going to other positions within First Group - not necessarily. The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) could kindly 'request' (or more, force unofficially) a TUPE (The Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006.) transfer to a new franchise.
west49th

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 19:14:00 »

FGW (First Great Western) may be trying hard behind the scenes.

But all they're doing is playing catch-up to what people have every right to expect in terms of efficiency.

They're currently like a Sainsbury's where 4 days out of 5 the milk and fresh fruit hasn't arrived.

That needs sorting, fast.

But also, passengers need to feel that they are being put first, not First Group shareholders.

And until that happens, people will not stand up and defend FGW.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 19:39:51 »

I think you should all read the comments that have been posted on the "this is cornwall" website, they've been posted by the general public and even they seem pee'd off with the constant criticism, we all know that the Western Morning News is an anti rail Tory rag. the government are the ones who f***ed it up in the start and now they've passed the buck, mind you what do you expect from this government, things are vastly improving day by day in the FGW (First Great Western) camp but this isn't good enough for the press, oh no, good news doesn't sell!!
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 20:42:05 »

This is now turning into a Witch hunt fullstop, from what i can see FGW (First Great Western) are improving, they have got hold of extra units , are employing extra staff, refurbishing Stations, trains etc.
If the governmemt want to remove First and give the Franchise to some other Toc, who is going to take it on remember it will be..... the Same Trains,.. Same Staff ...,Same Tracks ..and above all same problems

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 21:32:25 »

Ho-hum...yes, it is more than a coincidence that Brown should come out with this when the elections are coming up. It does seem little more than a voting tool to bash an easy target (FGW (First Great Western)) to win praise.

The Prime minister (Blair at the time) should have said this last year when FGW sank the rail system as we know it into new lows, and the condescending directors didn't give a jot. Now FGW (Mr Haines in particular!) are listening to passengers, improving trains and reliability-- it just smacks of slow old Mr Brown being a year late! Yes FGW are still far from perfect by a long way and there are times when critisism is still due. But things are a thousand times better than this time last year.
tom-langley

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 21:36:46 »

I believe FGW (First Great Western) are "trying" to improve their service. I think they are genuinely worried about losing their franchise, a new MD, better refunds for tickets, the return of free off-peak first class for season ticket holders, and less cancelled trains. One of the things that really annoyed me was the cancelling or revising of trains so they missed half their route. Rather than doing the best thing by passengers, they were minimising the penalties for a late train by revising it or cancelling it all together.

Having said this, I think there is still a long way to go.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 22:26:32 »

Whilst FGW (First Great Western) are certainly improving the service, there are still too many problems!

I'm not convinced that any TOC (Train Operating Company) can improve the service at a better rate, but surely something should be done to punish FGW/NR» (Network Rail - home page) for the appalling service.

If First Group where to lose their largest and most profitable service, then perhaps next time they will not cut services and increase profits at the expense of customers. Remember the only reason when AH is now in place, and FGW are investing is that FG have been warned by the government.

Likewise, Network Rail should be punished for the poor state of the rail infrastructure in the West. Whilst investing in the West Coast Line is important, ignoring  and allowing a most of you network faults to occur in the FGW franchise area is a double customers. It is about time that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) hit senior management bonuses at NR.

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 22:42:42 »

surely something should be done to punish FGW (First Great Western)/NR» (Network Rail - home page) for the appalling service.
Aren't you forgetting someone else who should be punished? I'll give you a clue, DEPARTMENT FOR TRANSPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: