Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
Delayed
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
11:37 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:24 Exmouth to Paignton
14:57 Exmouth to Paignton
15:02 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 16:01:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[152] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[28] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[12] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[11] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 391798 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2011, 15:37:51 »

Slight error on my part. I thought I'd posted that latest BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) News item before your new thread. Turns out I got as far as composing the item and neglected to hit 'post'. Seeing your thread, I thought I'd link to my post, but was slightly perplexed when I couldn't find it! A trawl through my browser history and I realised what I'd done. Or rather failed to do.  Embarrassed

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2011, 16:20:50 »

That's an apology then? :-)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2011, 18:35:25 »

So what exactly is the trial going to do given there are no stations  Huh

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2011, 19:40:52 »

maybe they will test the track(once its been cleared of vegitation).

i think network rail also have to do something with the signalling on the line as well as work to raise line speeds before regular services commence
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2011, 23:12:14 »

isn't freight running over the line yet?
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2011, 23:23:45 »

yes there is freight traveling to/from portbury docks
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2011, 00:22:06 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-13719922

Note the following extract

In the same month, a passenger train will be trialed on the Portishead rail line with the intention of bringing the line back into use within 5 years.

That month being this September if I read it correctly!  How will that work?

Here, there and Everywhere!!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2011, 00:35:39 »

There's approximately 3^ miles of abandoned line from Portbury Dock Junction to Portishead which needs serious work to bring it back into use.

Also at the Portishead end major work is needed as a main road now cuts across the old alignment.

The line from Parson Street Junction to Portbury Dock Junction (and then into the dock complex) is the stretch used by freight workings. I know for a fact this part of the route to Portishead is suitable for passenger workings - well at least HSTs (High Speed Train) - having travelled on one on a railtour last September!

A lot more information on the history of this line and the campaign to see it re-opened can be found here:

http://www.portisheadrailwaygroup.org/

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2011, 11:05:42 »

Already posted this:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=9066.0
bambam

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2011, 13:11:51 »

How long does it take to drive from Portishead to Bristol?

The line will defiantly need speeding up if the speeds are about 20 or 30mph
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2011, 13:24:18 »

Even at 20mph average a train would beat the the car in the rush hour. Approx 11 miles to Temple Meads and with one intermediate stop at Pill, say 40 minutes tops. The road traffic from Portishead to Bristol is terrible - amongst the most congested commute in the west. Often 60 minutes (sometimes more) to get from Portishead to central Bristol.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2011, 19:15:04 »

To increase viability of the service, would it not make sense to extend to Bristol Parkway via Severn Beach line with a station built at Henbury and at Cribbs Causeway with slight relocation of the railway if possible. No doubt there would be a market from Henbury and a station at Cribbs Causeway would benefit the whole region. Of course this would require a lot of planning but with the proposed closure of Filton airport this is an ideal opportunity to do this considering there would be a fewer obstacles laying track and building a station in a disused airport
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2011, 19:47:34 »

Good idea, but i have seen a proposed timetable which includes Portishead.

I think the idea was to run the Severn beach services to Weymouth and the Great Malvern services would run through to Portishead, with a Henbury cicular service which ran through to Weston Super Mare
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2011, 19:55:50 »

Even at 20mph average a train would beat the the car in the rush hour. Approx 11 miles to Temple Meads and with one intermediate stop at Pill, say 40 minutes tops. The road traffic from Portishead to Bristol is terrible - amongst the most congested commute in the west. Often 60 minutes (sometimes more) to get from Portishead to central Bristol.

ahem - its not THAT far! Its about 9 miles - I'll clock it next time I drive it

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2011, 20:13:49 »

I was referring to the railway line. 9^ miles (exact: 9m37ch) from Parson Street Junction to the site of the last Portishead Station (next to Waitrose) plus 2m02ch from Parson Street Junction to Bristol Temple Meads, hence my approx. 11 miles.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 72
  Print  

Jump to: