Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
11:44 London Paddington to Hereford
13:11 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
Delayed
11:37 London Paddington to Carmarthen
13:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 15:10:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[37] access for all at Devon stations report
[36] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 391780 times)
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2011, 17:32:53 »

I met a nice lady today from (I think) Transport for Greater Bristol Alliance on a stall in the Green Forum tent at the Bristol Festival of Nature. Had a chat with her about the line to Portishead - she was most enthusiastic about the Ultra Light Rail Hybrid (Flywheel, Biomethane) Tram for Bristol with extension to Portishead....

Irrespective of whether ULTR is the right option in this case, I can accept that there is a role for it in some applications. The Stourbridge version seems to work very well and frees up a sprinter unit for use elsewhere. But why do ULRT advocates make their case more difficult by proposing non standard power sources? A small diesel engine is surely the most cost-effective solution,using the same fuel as the rest of the railway, and being most reliable and easiest to maintain. The Stourbridge Parry People Mover uses LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas), which required a specially constructed LPG store on site, adding to the cost, safety requirements etc, even though the air quality benefits of LPG over diesel don't confer any significant benefit at that location. Similar arguments apply to biomethane, which may have its role (though I suspect using it for CHP in stationary plant is the most efficient), but I can see no benefit in using it to power ULRT that justifies the added cost and complexity.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2011, 10:27:43 »

What with the ongoing saga of a new stadium for Bristol city FC(resolve), and the wish to re open the portishead line, surely as a condition of any planning consent to BCFC or Sainsburys or whoever wants to redevelop Ashton Gate. finances could be extracted from these two organisations to open the line to The old station by Ashton Gate.
Has anyone thought of this or have i missed the point somewhere?

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2011, 10:57:54 »

Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways had a crack at this in July 2008 - http://fosbr.org.uk/news/2008/reopen-ashton-gate

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2011, 19:05:57 »

times have changed a bit  since then BCFC are keen for a new stadium time prehaps for the club to offer some finances to re open the line as far as Ashton gate, it would be certainly a start in the right direction

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2011, 22:43:58 »

There are two porter cabins in the waitrose car park - assuming due to the building of a shopping complex and a trvelodge.  A little birdie has told me there are plans to have that being the cabins being a new station.  If it happened - I'd sell the car tomorrow!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2011, 23:02:41 »

See http://www.portisheadrailwaygroup.org/ Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2011, 17:30:10 »

From the Bristol Evening Post:

REOPENING LINE WILL BE WORTH COST

I drive trains down to Portbury Dock so I can report on the condition of the line to Portishead and which trains can use it.

The has been a lot of rubbish and misinformation flying about either in emails or in letters to the local press by people who are not qualified to make such statements.

​To save time and without going too far back in history, the line from Parsons Street to Portbury Dock was completely re-laid in 2000 after 20 or so years of being abandoned.

A partnership between Railtrack, Port of Bristol Authority and English,Welsh and Scottish railway was formed to relay the line up to Portbury Junction just the other side of Pill, where the line bears left to Portishead.

A new section of line was then laid from Portbury Junction down into Portbury Docks. The reason for this all of this work was the need to connect Portbury Dock to the national rail network because it was the only UK (United Kingdom) dock not to be linked by rail.

I have always maintained that this was a massive opportunity missed and that Bristol City and North Somerset Councils should have been involved then and the line completed on to Portishead.

At the moment this line is capable of carrying both heavy freight trains and lighter passenger trains.

The freight trains weigh between 2,500 and 3,000 tons, so the line is pretty robust.

A special passenger train formed by a First Great Western High Speed Train proved this point by running the length of the line to Portbury Dock last year.

So there would be no problem running class 143,150, 153 or 158/9 trains, which currently operate the local passenger services in the Bristol area.

The current line speeds are quite adequate for either passenger or freight trains.

The signalling system between Ashton Junction to Portbury would need to be completely upgraded in order to run passenger trains.

In my opinion the signalling of the Ashton Junction to Portbury/Portishead section and the re-laying of the Portbury Junction to Portishead section are where the majority of costs will be. The current signalling system on the line is an old Victorian one, NST (No Signaller Token). The train driver in possession of the token is the only one permitted to use the line at any one time.

So only one train can use the line in any direction at any time. Most of the line is single anyway with little opportunity to double up because of the gorge. However, some sections could have passing loops extended, for example at Pill Station, where if passenger trains were re-introduced to Portishead the line would need to be realigned anyway.

The same can be said for the old Ashton Station. I am not sure which signalling system would best be suited to be introduced if the Portishead line were re-opened.

It would need to control trains running from Portishead and Portbury and regulate them along the single to Ashton and coming the other way from Parsons Street.

The Network Rail Grip Stage 3 Report on the reopening of the Portishead Line is lengthy and detailed, spanning four volumes.

The main volume is 50 pages long. This report sets out some excellent operational proposals to reopen the line with a half-hourly passenger service during peak time and an hourly service during off peak hours.

This is designed to fit in with the current freight train paths. There are also proposals to raise the speed limits and extend the passing loops at both ends of the line at Ashton and Pill to facilitate this timetable. A new, more robust signalling system is also detailed. I think that these proposals make complete operational sense under the circumstances.

The report certainly leaves no stone unturned and covers everything which would be required to introduce a frequent passenger service.

The downside of these proposals of course is that they will cost millions, probably around ^50 million. It is a real shame that these proposals were not considered back in 1999/2000 when the line was reopened to freight traffic.

The costs would then have been a fraction of what is detailed in the Network Rail Grip Report.

Having considered all of this I still think that the Government and the relevant councils should commit to investing in this project.

It will eventually bear fruit in the same way that passenger numbers on the Severn Beach line have increased by 90 per cent.

Bernard Kennedy,

ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) Bristol Branch Secretary

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2011, 12:08:27 »

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Major-blow-rail-link-funding-Portishead/story-13721833-detail/story.html

Oops ...  the path to a proper rail service is paved with setbacks to be overcome  Undecided

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2011, 19:46:29 »

This set back is a shame but hopefully  this campaign will get some good fortune.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2011, 13:42:28 »

Just read this online:

http://travelplus.org.uk/public-transport/train/woe-rail-conference-and-tour-nov-2011

Possibility of a special Visiting the line up as far as Pil/Portbury and teh Henbury loop lines after 4pm this evening
the void

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2011, 14:08:33 »

it has just set off... 2Z50 150246

Schedule

BrstlTM  Bristol Temple Meads   14:04   14:03  1 early  (Down)                 
BrstlWJ  Bristol West Jn.  Pass  14:05                 
ParsnSt  Parson Street  Pass  14:09         
Ashjn  Ashton Junction  14:12  14:20               
Ptbrlop  Portbury Dock Stop Board  14:36  14:47             
Ashj335  Ashton Jn Signal B335  15:05  15:07                   
Ashjn  Ashton Junction  Pass  15:09             
ParsnSt  Parson Street  Pass  15:10           
BrstlWJ  Bristol West Jn.  Pass  15:12             
BrstlTM  Bristol Temple Meads  Pass  15:13       
BrstlEJ  Bristol East Jn  Pass  15:14               
DrDaysJ  Dr Day's Jn  Pass  15:14^                 
Stplnar  Narroways Hill Jn  Pass  15:16           
Filtnew  Filton Abbey Wood  Pass  15:19           
FiltnWJ  Filton West Jn  Pass  15:22                 
HlnMJn  Hallen Marsh Jn  Pass  15:32           
SadwJn  St Andrews Jn (Avon)  Pass  15:37^               
Avonmth  Avonmouth  15:39  15:40               
ClfDown  Clifton Down  Pass  15:50     
Stplnar  Narroways Hill Jn  Pass  15:55                 
DrDaysJ  Dr Day's Jn  Pass  15:57     
BrstlEJ  Bristol East Jn  Pass  16:01               
BrstlTM  Bristol Temple Meads  16:02               
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2011, 00:00:57 »

Was featured on tonights BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West.
Sion Bretton

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2011, 01:23:20 »

I was on this train alone with about 70+ a very interesting trip
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 05, 2011, 04:42:19 »

So, what was the consensus on priorities at the end of the day? We often hear that these meetings take place but rarely, if ever get feedback from them
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2011, 12:19:27 »

From the Bristol Evening Post:

Back to the future . . . putting the Bristol Metro on the right track

It was a journey that took us back in time in order to give us a glimpse of the future ^ a future in which the dream of a "Bristol Metro" seemed almost tangible.

It was an elaborate gesture from rail operator First Great Western, as they chartered a passenger train yesterday to travel on some of the city's historic branch lines, which have not carried passengers for almost half a century.

For the eclectic crowd of local politicians, media and rail enthusiasts and campaigners, it was an extraordinary opportunity for developing momentum ^ and a "rail conference" with a real difference.

It would allow guests to travel along lines they may once have believed had been consigned to the history books but, as yesterday's journey proved, could once again be revived for public use.

The magical mystery tour in a small, two-carriage diesel train, was ultimately an elaborate way for rail operator First Great Western to get behind plans for a Bristol Metro network.

In June the Evening Post called for an Integrated Transport Authority (ITA (Integrated Transport Authority)) to be created for the Greater Bristol region, which would be able to co-ordinate the redevelopment of the branch lines.

We appealed to the four local authorities in the former Avon area to work more closely to bring about an ITA which would also be able to co-ordinate greater integration with park and rides, bus and ferry services, and also have the power to provide new rolling stock, so the Bristol area would no longer have to put up with "hand-me-down" carriages from other cities.

At the core of the proposals would be the reopening of a network of abandoned branch lines across the city ^ many of which were the victims of Dr Beeching's infamous swingeing cuts of the 1960s.

Railway stations across Greater Bristol that have been disused for more than half a century could be given a new lease of life, from Ashton Gate to St Anne's Park; Thornbury to Henbury.

Lines such as the long-lamented Portishead line, which closed to passenger trains in 1964, the Avonmouth line and the Henbury loop line would all be reopened under the proposals.

Yesterday's historic journey took us along the Portishead line, along sections of the Avonmouth line, and around the Henbury loop line.

Among those on board keen to marvel at the journey was managing director of First Great Western, Mark Hopwood.

"Today is all about demonstrating that there are many rail lines here in Bristol that are really not a million miles away from being redeveloped as passenger lines.

"As a company we have always looked to the future, and we have always been keen to work with communities for new and better transport developments.

"A system like this, which would make use of existing branch lines, would be a cost-effective and a relatively quick way of encouraging people out of their cars; taking some of the pressure off the road system in and around the city. In local transport terms this is a very elegant solution, and we just need to make the case clear to Government, to make sure suitable funding can be secured."

The stunt comes in the same week that plans to reopen the Portishead rail line suffered a set-back after a bid for ^43 million of Government funding for the project was turned down.

North Somerset Council vowed to continue to work with Network Rail on its Guide to Rail Investment Project (GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects)) studies on the feasibility of reopening the railway and look at other possible funding streams.

Colin Medus, head of highways and transport for North Somerset Council, was among those enjoying yesterday's journey.

"It was a knock-back, but it's not the end of the world," he said.

"I believe we didn't get the Regional Growth Money because we couldn't prove that enough jobs would be directly created by the scheme ^ although by reinvigorating this entire transport link, it's hard to estimate the massive effect it would have on indirect jobs."

Julian Crow, First Great Western manager for the West of England, said the funding refusal was "not the end of the world".

"This event today will hopefully demonstrate the potential effectiveness of these lines, not only to local councils and campaigners, who don't need convincing, but also to the representatives from the Department of Transport and Network Rail, who have come along today.

"We're at the beginning of a long journey with this one ^ but we believe the dream of a Bristol Metro network really can be achieved."

Inspiration for the redevelopment of the branch lines came in response to the success of the Severn Beach line, which has seen an increase in the frequency of weekday trains and a Sunday service, after a successful campaign by the Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways (FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways)).

In the first three months, the reinvigorated line saw 27 per cent more passengers using the service. If similar district branch lines were reborn, it is believed the change could radically improve congestion on the city's roads.

Rob Dixon, of FOSBR, said he was encouraged by yesterday's "travelling conference".

"It was fantastic," he said. "We were hearing lots of really positive things from lots of different people who have serious influence in these matters. Apart from that, as a rail enthusiast, simply to be able to travel on these historic lines has been incredibly exciting."

The journey took us out of Bristol Temple Meads, past the existing Bedminster and Parson Street stations, and on to the Portishead line.

Moments later we were creeping through the almost mythical-seeming Ashton Gate station, which once would have echoed to thousands of football fans each Saturday.

Then it was on past the ghosts of Pill station and Portbury station, where hardly anything is left to be seen of their once busy platforms.

But it was later, as we looped back through the north of the city, and travelled into the ivy-covered Henbury station that the nostalgia truly began to kick in onboard.

"It's really quite an experience to see that," said Daniel Casey, rail campaigner for FOSBR.

"I think this sort of event brings some of the railways' magic back into what could seem like a dry subject. I hope it will really encourage greater momentum and get things moving."

Julia Dean, of the West of England Partnership, said: "Apart from anything else, cramming all these different interested parties into a couple of small train carriages is a way of forcing everybody to fight out their differences.

"Everybody here is behind the idea of injecting new life into these lines ^ it has to now be about making sure we're all pulling in the same direction in order to make it happen."

Meanwhile, today more than 40 Saltford residents will set out from the village's disused railway station to hand every household in the village a leaflet and ask if everyone over the age of 16 in each home would sign a petition supporting the reopening of the station, which closed in 1970.

The petition will be open until early December. For details, visit www.saltfordenvironmentgroup.org.uk

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 72
  Print  

Jump to: