Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:35 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:15:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[200] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[99] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[61] access for all at Devon stations report
[39] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[32] Misleading advertising?
[11] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: More short formed trains 1/4/08  (Read 5624 times)
IanL

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2008, 18:03:46 »

15:51 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill due 18:09
This train has been revised.This train will run short formed with 3 carriages.This is due to a train fault.

This train is normally a very full HST (High Speed Train), running a 5 car Adelante as sometimes happens causes chaos with overcrowding. Running a 3 car turbo is insane!

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 18:46:46 »

This train has been revised.This train will run short formed with 3 carriages.This is due to a train fault.

This train is normally a very full HST (High Speed Train), running a 5 car Adelante as sometimes happens causes chaos with overcrowding. Running a 3 car turbo is insane!

This is abysmal! Shocked

What about that so called "spare" 180? Huh

Or has it been used to cover for the Thames Turbo (commuter services taking prioirty over InterCity as usual!)? Angry Angry
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 21:42:36 »

This is abysmal! Shocked

Or has it been used to cover for the Thames Turbo (commuter services taking prioirty over InterCity as usual!)? Angry Angry

Do you know that's the first time I've heard anyone say that the commuter services take priority over intercity... It's usually (and has been for years in my opinion) the other way round....
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 00:00:06 »

This is abysmal! Shocked

Do you know that's the first time I've heard anyone say that the commuter services take priority over intercity... It's usually (and has been for years in my opinion) the other way round....

Everything takes priority over the Cotswold Line! That's my point. Angry
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 09:40:10 »

There were 2 180 sets in OOK Poorly yesterday.........now there is a surprise!!!!!

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 14:09:50 »

There were 2 180 sets in OOK Poorly yesterday.........now there is a surprise!!!!!

I understand that new products, be they trains, cars, whatever have teething problems. These are normally fixed with modifications within  a period of time.

Then, assuming faults due to wear and tear are fixed correctly and the product is properly maintained, unscheduled problems should happen rarely.

The fact that the few remaining 180s are still so unreliable must surley be down to poor maintenance.   

Can anyone shed any light as to why they are still so poor?

Are FGW (First Great Western) incapable of getting the problems that often come with a new product sorted out?

I may be wrong (please correct me if I am) but the new HST (High Speed Train) power cars do not seem to be wholly reliable yet. Will they become 180 mk 2s?

IanL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 14:35:19 »

Andy, I think that therein lies the problem, yes the 180's are still proving unreliable....but they were not supposed to be on the cotswold line yesterday, because the 180's were out of action they could not even form the inadequate backup plan to a HST (High Speed Train) not being available.

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 17:08:49 »

Are, so an HST (High Speed Train) failed, then 2 180s failed.  Cry

Leaving the Cotswold line with a Thames Turbo 3 car. Angry

Oh, why can't FGW (First Great Western) give some 180s to NXEC (National Express East Coast) to free up an HST or two (with Mallard interiors Grin ).
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 21:40:14 »

The Adelante reliability problems are slightly puzzling.  180s are after all only 175s with streamlined ends and 750bhp instead of 450bhp but the same Voith transmission arrangement.  The 19 litre (I think) engines are also used in Voyagers which are of course diesel-electric rather than diesel hydraulic.  They don't seem to break too often.  ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) don't have (or conceal well) problems with 175s. On my limited experience from Abergavenny to Manchester and back (^10 each way) they seem rather pleasant trains.

Is it just a case of too much power for the transmissions?  But you'd think with 5 powered cars you could get home some shape with as few as two running.  A class 37 could manage 5 carriages with only 1,750 bhp.

I always thought that was the point of the HST (High Speed Train).  As long as one engine was running you could get home eventually.  Even Pacers manage that.

Comments? Theories?  Facts?

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 23:03:47 »

The Adelante reliability problems are slightly puzzling.  180s are after all only 175s with streamlined ends and 750bhp instead of 450bhp but the same Voith transmission arrangement.  The 19 litre (I think) engines are also used in Voyagers which are of course diesel-electric rather than diesel hydraulic.  They don't seem to break too often.  ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) don't have (or conceal well) problems with 175s. On my limited experience from Abergavenny to Manchester and back (^10 each way) they seem rather pleasant trains.

Is it just a case of too much power for the transmissions?  But you'd think with 5 powered cars you could get home some shape with as few as two running.  A class 37 could manage 5 carriages with only 1,750 bhp.

I always thought that was the point of the HST (High Speed Train).  As long as one engine was running you could get home eventually.  Even Pacers manage that.

Comments? Theories?  Facts?

You are right. The 180s have more in common with the 175s, as they are both part of the "Cordia" family. All the problems with the 175s have been with air con, the PA (Public Address) system, and the info screens - all software related.

As far as engines - they have been fine!

But I think the main problems with the 180s is the door opening system!

PS - I have seen Adelantes with 1 or 2 engines out!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 00:42:25 »

Oh, why can't FGW (First Great Western) give some 180s to NXEC (National Express East Coast) to free up an HST (High Speed Train) or two (with Mallard interiors)

Because they too need every HST they can get their hands on - and all the nine coaches on many peak-hour trains. Why would they want FGW's cast-offs?

ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) don't have (or conceal well) problems with 175s.

While Alstom's engineers at Chester depot have now got them running okay, the 175s were, like 180s, notorious for unreliability for several years after their introduction.

The powertrains themselves have never been the problem. I think someone (swlines?) has noted in another thread there are problems with positioning of parts of the cooler group, which lead to overheating.

180s, as with Voyagers, were designed to be able to keep to booked times with one engine out of action.

PS: I saw the one 180 that was still working on Tuesday on the 11.51 London to Hereford, running fast between Kingham and Moreton-in-Marsh. The 2x180 combination was in action again on Wednesday, arriving back in Oxford at 10am after working the 7.10 to London.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 16:59:41 »

Oh, why can't FGW (First Great Western) give some 180s to NXEC (National Express East Coast) to free up an HST (High Speed Train) or two (with Mallard interiors)

Because they too need every HST they can get their hands on - and all the nine coaches on many peak-hour trains. Why would they want FGW's cast-offs?

A double 180 would give 10 carriages to NX's 9.

FGW could then have an 9 car HST!

Everyone wins (perhaps apart from NX, who would end up with poor reliability 180s....but that doesn't matter. As long as FGW have an HST...)!!!!!!!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 17:18:55 »

180s are more suited than an HST (High Speed Train) to Worcester services. I can't seem to work out why you have a personal vendetta against the Adelantes considering they have more tables and are more comfortable not forgetting faster!
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 17:28:48 »

The problems with the Adelantes include:

Noisy (unbelievably so in every carriage when accelerating hard)
Unreliable
Only slightly more seats than a turbo

On a line which is limited by the number of trains (due to single line) and turbos/adelantes are extremely crowded then HST (High Speed Train) is the way to go, a turbo for 3+ hours is not suitable accomodation.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 17:51:40 »

180s are more suited than an HST (High Speed Train) to Worcester services. I can't seem to work out why you have a personal vendetta against the Adelantes considering they have more tables and are more comfortable not forgetting faster!

My suggestion was not because I hate 180s, but so FGW (First Great Western) would get another HST!  Grin

To be quite honest, I can't make up my mind whether HSTs or 180s should be used on the Cotswold Line (I fear that my posts waver!).

Let's sum it up.

Why 180s are better:

*better acceleration
*less SDO (Selective Door Opening)
*better seat number off peak (esp after Oxford)

Why HSTs are better:

*more seats for peal times
*quieter (hopefully) and more smooth
*power sockets

Come on - add to my lists, and let us find out which is better!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: