Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:53 London Paddington to Penzance
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 19:14:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[212] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[53] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Misleading advertising?
[15] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[6] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: London's Emergency Bus Network - Free from Monday 20 Apr 2020  (Read 1701 times)
RailCornwall

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2020, 21:30:27 »

Due to the increasing risk associated with Bus Drivers getting sick with Covid-19, the Mayor's Office have announced that Boarding and exiting of all Buses from Monday will be from the middle doors only. This is to reduce contact with the drivers of these vehicles. Travel will be free as a result.

Tweet from Jim Waterson - explaining the charging detail.....

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1251015663671488512
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 21:35:19 »

Seems sensible given that bus drivers do seem to have been in a vulnerable position. But frankly I still wouldn't take a bus right now.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 05:13:58 »

I stand by my opinion that these London drivers are not catching it at work, or for sure whilst driving. Plenty of other places for them to catch it.

In London They are in a sealed cab with a huge screen, they have no interaction with customers, they don’t do ticketing.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 12:12:29 »

And of course the vast majority of buses in the rest of the country have only one door, and that is at the front.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 12:48:04 »

And of course the vast majority of buses in the rest of the country have only one door, and that is at the front.

Some of the TfL» (Transport for London - about) routes on the outskirts are single door too. My local route 465 seems to have a mix of single and dual door. Not sure how the centre door ruling applies there  Huh

Edit. - thinking about it, with fewer buses on the road they could just stop using the single door buses and use double door buses which would normally be allocated to other routes.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 14:35:03 »

Edit. - thinking about it, with fewer buses on the road they could just stop using the single door buses and use double door buses which would normally be allocated to other routes.

That would ony work in some areas. As far as I know our local operator, Faresaver, only has single door buses. I've certainly never a seen a double door one on their routes. Graham might know more of course.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 15:29:50 »

That would ony work in some areas. As far as I know our local operator, Faresaver, only has single door buses. I've certainly never a seen a double door one on their routes. Graham might know more of course.

Presumably the post was reference London... here at First Kernow we have 2 double door buses in a fleet of around 200!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 18:42:17 »

I suspect that buses with two doors work well on routes that people are getting off and on at the same time - so Central London is a good example ... take a ride on my most oft uses 205 from Paddington to King's Cross and you'll see that in practise - off and on at Marylebone (or main road now), Baker Street,  Euston Square and Euston.  By contrast, the Melksham to Bath bus is load, load, load at Melksham, Whitley, Atworth and decant, decant in the centre of Bath and at the Bus station. Nature of the rural and town bus versus the big city bus.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 20:19:28 »

Presumably the post was reference London...

Yes, sorry I was referring to London buses. I am aware that outside the large cities, buses are predominantly single door.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 07:50:15 »

Presumably the post was reference London... here at First Kernow we have 2 double door buses in a fleet of around 200!

Used to have more and unfortunately, when the bell rang, it could only be reset by using the middle door.  No CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) of course, poor visibility of the door & pupils (or all ages) used to try boarding un-noticed through them.
Most drivers would only use the front doors for boarding/exiting, and only when all were on would the middle doors be opened/closed as quickly as possible to reset the bell.
Double set of buttons on the floor/dash also confused the situation.
It also added to the dwell time.
Not popular to take on a run.
Would hope the modern ones would have sorted all those problems!

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 11:49:03 »

As a Londoner I've often been caught out elsewhere by jumping on as soon as the driver opens the door, only to be grumpily pushed aside by people trying to get off. It really does seem to slow things down on a busy route. It also means the wheelchair ramp has to be at the front corner, making it more vulnerable to damage from clipping the kerb.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: