16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:23 Par to Newquay
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 19:04:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton-Tavistock. Discussion on reopening and potential use as a diversionary route  (Read 271476 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2011, 16:16:30 »

I think it may have some effect but DCR do seem to be very keen on making this venture work. Sdly we will have to see how passenger numbers are if/when the service starts.

1 problem for wrexham & shropshire was their costs, especially because they were using loco hauled stock. i think it would have been a better idea if they had used some class 168's if chiltern could spare any on the lightly used off peak services.

Another problem for them is that   i did hear they were told that they would not be allowed to carry passengers between London Marylebone & Banbury/Lemington Spa from may 2011. Sadly i think that may have been one of the reasons to push the company over the edge especially since  they did carry a lot of commutors
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2011, 20:51:04 »

I hope they persevere, get the go-ahead and give it a try regardless of the Wrexham & Shropshire setback. As there is currently no service between Okehampton and Exeter, in addition to providing a direct London service, they have a potential local market to tap into as well, plus the summer tourist trade, of course. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2011, 18:52:01 »

From Okehampton People:

As the Easter holidays approach (although they won't actually cover Easter this year!) we can expect an influx of tourists taking advantage of  improving weather promised in the middle of April.

And rather than roar by down the A30, let's hope they stop off for a few hours - or, better still, days - and enjoy all that Okehampton has to offer. We'll go on a quick - but by no means comprehensive - tour.

Any tourist trail of the town is best started at the Tourist Information Point in the Museum Yard, where you can pick up leaflets and maps to guide you around the area. And while you're there, drop into the Museum of Dartmoor Life, which has won several awards for it's portrayal of life on the north side of Dartmoor over the centuries. The exhibitions of day-to-day rural life are particularly evocative.

Next stop should be Okehampton Castle, which dates from Norman times but was rebuilt as an opulent private residence in the 14th century. The excellent audio guide will interpret the ruins , and the well-kept grounds make an excellent picnic spot.

Until 1917 the Castle was owned by one Sydney Simmons, a great benefactor of the town. In that year he donated the building and grounds "to ever thereafter enjoyed by the inhabitants of and visitors to the town of Okehampton...". As well as the gift of the Castle, he also endowed the town's park - Simmons Park - which you can call into on your way to the next port of call, Okehampton Station.

The station lies at the top of (of course) Station Road and is a must for all railway lovers. It is one of the very few of Beeching's closures which has re-opened - after a spectacular renovation, which has taken it back to the old Southern Railway colours... and correct in every detail.

During summer you can catch a train to Meldon Quarry and viaduct... and... and... watch this space... by summer 2011 there just might be trains to Exeter on a daily basis. (At present they only run on Sunday.)

The Station Buffet offers a good selection of meals and snacks, while over the tracks you'll find Okehampton Youth Hostel, which not only provides accommodation but also is the base for Adventure Okehampton, which organises all manner of action days out on Dartmoor.

There's so much to see - we haven't got to the Moor yet, or any National Trust properties - that you might think about staying. Try Upcott House for a very well-appointed family B&B... follow the link to check for any seasonal deals on offer.

You'll find enough to do in and around Okehampton that it could make an excellent centre for a family holiday... many families come year after year to enjoy the scenery, the activities, the friendly welcome... and the local food and drink (but that will have to wait for another day!)

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2011, 18:59:25 »

A line that I'm still yet to bash. Maybe this summer....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2011, 19:33:14 »

Might be a bit of a rush considering how close we are to summer to get staff etc for this  Okehampton to  Exeter service?

I suspect it will be early autum before the full rail service starts if they get their passenger licence soon.

I am looking forward to when this service starts and i hope it is a sucess
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 29, 2011, 21:11:16 »

the line wasn't closed by Beeching! the line between Oke and Coleford wasn't even listed in the Beeching report!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #246 on: March 29, 2011, 21:13:48 »

Tsk! Journalists, eh?  Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 30, 2011, 10:50:28 »

From what I hear, the owners of the Dartmoor Ralway are concentrating on building up their freight interests so a weekday passenger service won't happen before 2012.   

The Sunday trains will be back for the Summer.  These are sponsored by Devon County Council.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 16, 2011, 09:59:53 »

Just visited and signed a few sepecific railway related ones, including Re-dualling of Salisbury to Exeter.

Have also produced one about Okehampton to Tavistock (assuming that Bere Alston-Tavistock reopened as in Killbride plans).

Assuming the speed could be raised to 60mph or higher, and I believe this is do able. A passing loop at Bere Alston to facilitate the Gunnislake service, loops positioned at Okehampton, needing 1 point I believe creating an additional crossing place and possible Okehampton to Exeter service. Moving the Junction from Crediton back to Coleford Junction to create a 3 mile long dynamic loop. A train could leave Exeter at xx50 and Plymouth at xx20. They would pass at Bere Alston and at Yeoford and still enable Barnstaple and Gunnislake services to operate. This would mean a long single line section between Bere Alston and Okehampton but would enable some XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and SWT (South West Trains) services to go via this route in addition to stopping services.

I know it is unlikely thatt I will get 100,000 signatures needed for a debate, but I have posted a petition I would like people to sign.

It is at http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/12531

Hope you can add your autographs so to speak!

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #249 on: August 16, 2011, 10:05:46 »

Signed by me and good luck to you.  SWT (South West Trains) trains west of Exeter though?   Grin
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 16, 2011, 13:54:38 »

Yes. In the long term future and maybe only a couple of trains a day. Any service going to /from Plymouth could be limited stopper so faster to london than present.

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services could use  the current sets they presently use. Not the ones from Cornwall which would require 2 reversals. However, services starting from and going to Plymouth could be arranged at times that allow Paignton services to pick up XC passengers. This would leave only those passengers from Totnes that would lose direct services. Though of course extra GW (Great Western) stopping trains could replace these 3 or 4 services a dayThe only reason they stopped going to Paignton was lack of stock. In 10 years or so this will (hopefully) be different.

I know it is a major dream.....some would say pipe dream....and I have to say that I would not want this route to be at the expense of the more profitable present route. At least in the short to medium term till Global warming takes hold etc. Then, it would be up to the Government of the time to work out which alternative route to build etc

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #251 on: August 16, 2011, 17:38:57 »

Signed it
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2011, 12:23:36 »

I was under the impression that the Okehampton line from Yeoford was due to be transfered to National Rail in December 2009. Has this not happening anymore?

And are regular services to Okehampton for Passengers ever going to be something in the near future?
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2011, 17:50:42 »

I think devon & cornwall railways are still waiting for a passenger licence.

After that they have to get the rolling stock and make sure staff are trained etc.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2011, 18:39:32 »

its not being transfered is it?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: