Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 01:15 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 01:33:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton-Tavistock. Discussion on reopening and potential use as a diversionary route  (Read 270993 times)
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 08, 2014, 09:40:38 »

The Up line from Meldon Jn to Meldon Quarry, ie. over Meldon Viaduct, was taken out of use on 24/4/66 with all trains thence using the Down line as a Single line.

However in connection with track alterations (carried out mainly by the excellent former Tavistock North PW (Permanent Way) gang -who were retained after May 1968 when Meldon-Bere Alston was closed as an 'Extra gang' by the Plymouth District Civil Engineer) at Meldon Quarry in the 1970's, the closed off but still intact former Up line was RE (Religious Education)-INSTATED as a long headshunt for the Quarry with 2 track panels relaid just off the Plymouth end of the Viaduct.
The heaviest Diesel loco on BR (British Rail(ways)) at the time; a Class 46 'Peak' loco (139 tons with an axle weight of nearly 17.5 tons) was tested and the test proved satisfactory and the former Up line was thence permitted, without loco restrictions, to be used again; and this continued for some years. 

Today's modern multiple unit trains of course have much lighter axle loads.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 08, 2014, 11:36:53 »

I can see the benefits of this, but it's hard to imagine it getting off the ground - I'm guessing you'd have to put pretty much the whole thing in tunnels to appease the environmental lobby, which would cost a few orders of magnitude more than reopening the LSWR (London South Western Railway) route.

The whole of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) isn't going into tunnels to appease enviromentalists. No reason why an inland route has to do so. Branch off at Exminster, head due south to the left of Malmhead, then head south west to the south of Ashcombe and Ideford Common, following the river valley (Dawlish Water?) and then run parallel to the A380 into Newton Abbot. Sparsely populated land and possibly only a need for tunneling under the Powderham estate and to the west of Kenton. Around 15 miles of new build. Compared with a similar length of rebuilding between Okehampton and Tavistock, but without the need for services from London Paddington to Cornwall to reverse twice.

Does anyone know of the cost per mile of new build double track railway versus reinstating and upgrading 50 year old abandoned permanent way to modern double track standard? Remembering that the latter would have to go through the centre of Tavistock. I imagine the cost difference is pretty marginal.

A thorough cost/benefit analysis of all options should be carried out. My preference is for an inland 'GWR (Great Western Railway)' route, but if reinstating Okehampton - Tavistock/Bere Alston and upgrading the existing stubs to modern mainline standards comes out as the considerably better value for money option, then I'm happy for that to be the alternative route to Plymouth and Cornwall. Won't help Torbay though.

I am persuaded! As is the Plymouth Herald:

A TRANSPORT expert is calling for work to start on Westcountry rail links that were scuppered by Hitler 73 years ago.

After train services to London were twice cut in the past week, Neill Mitchell is urging the Government to look again at plans for a new railway line avoiding Dawlish, which were drawn up before the Second World War.

Read more: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/build-new-Plymouth-London-train-line-away-coast/story-17476633-detail/story.html

I see from this article that the powers to build the diversion only lapsed in 1999...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 08, 2014, 11:51:13 »

The Up line from Meldon Jn to Meldon Quarry, ie. over Meldon Viaduct, was taken out of use on 24/4/66 with all trains thence using the Down line as a Single line.

However in connection with track alterations (carried out mainly by the excellent former Tavistock North PW (Permanent Way) gang -who were retained after May 1968 when Meldon-Bere Alston was closed as an 'Extra gang' by the Plymouth District Civil Engineer) at Meldon Quarry in the 1970's, the closed off but still intact former Up line was RE (Religious Education)-INSTATED as a long headshunt for the Quarry with 2 track panels relaid just off the Plymouth end of the Viaduct.
The heaviest Diesel loco on BR (British Rail(ways)) at the time; a Class 46 'Peak' loco (139 tons with an axle weight of nearly 17.5 tons) was tested and the test proved satisfactory and the former Up line was thence permitted, without loco restrictions, to be used again; and this continued for some years. 

Today's modern multiple unit trains of course have much lighter axle loads.

Thanks AMLAG. Clarifies for me. I think my comments were a little innacurate so thanks for putting me right by someone who knows! Good to know about the weight of the loco as well. Smiley

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 08, 2014, 12:27:48 »

I would have thought that a new line would have been preferable. From Exminster to Newton Abbott would be around 10 miles, so even if some were in tunnel it's not going to run into billions. And just think, it would be a new line that would have almost unanimous local support (that's a novel thought), could shave 7 or 8 minutes off the journey time, and would in future years be easier to electrify than the coast route would be (or more accurately, wouldn't have the problems of an electrified railway being bashed by waves).

The route via Okehampton would be slower than the current route. Thus I can't see any appetite to use it other than as a diversionary route, and for a local service. Which is then a lot of money to spend on something which isn't going to get the use to justify the cost involved.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 08, 2014, 12:47:30 »

I took the train to Okehampton last summer, just for fun. Very nice too!

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 08, 2014, 13:19:33 »

I would have thought that a new line would have been preferable. From Exminster to Newton Abbott would be around 10 miles, so even if some were in tunnel it's not going to run into billions. And just think, it would be a new line that would have almost unanimous local support (that's a novel thought), could shave 7 or 8 minutes off the journey time, and would in future years be easier to electrify than the coast route would be (or more accurately, wouldn't have the problems of an electrified railway being bashed by waves).

I agree with you on almost all counts.  There would be local opposition - from those towns (Starcross, Dawlish Warren, Dawlish and Teignmouth) that would be by-passed by the route.  Logic says that local trains would still go this way, but who would pay for the upkeep of such an expensive line just for these stations?

Of course close the line at other would have to pick up the price for the sea defences so remove that cost and it might be more reasonable. However it would still require subsidy.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 08, 2014, 22:18:16 »

If the coastal line were singled, what that provide extra space to build up the flood defences?

Very interesting re Meldon viaduct. I knew it had been retained as a headhunt but thanks for the new information. I'm certainly now questioning the assumption that it would be too frail for a HST (High Speed Train) or a 57. Perhaps someone should have a word with NR» (Network Rail - home page)?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 08, 2014, 22:38:59 »

If the coastal line were singled, what that provide extra space to build up the flood defences?

An idea, but the normal way would be to build on the seaward side of the existing defences.

Very interesting re Meldon viaduct. I knew it had been retained as a headhunt but thanks for the new information. I'm certainly now questioning the assumption that it would be too frail for a HST (High Speed Train) or a 57. Perhaps someone should have a word with NR» (Network Rail - home page)?

Depends on what maintenance has been done to it since. If it has not been painted for a few years it might not be as strong now.
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 08, 2014, 23:11:47 »

Singling the most vulnerable section and building a higher & thicker wall on the current Down line formation might be feasible and/or possibly installing slab track ..but then if a void is created by the sea under slab track that could well make it more difficult to restore the line (the ballast was glued on the stretch from Dawlish stn to the first Tunnel several years ago and with some success until recently).
However the current volume of passenger traffic through Dawlish with some single line would cause a bottleneck and another performance nightmare.

It needs to be remembered that in Dr David Spaven's list of the worst Beeching Cuts that the Southern Exeter/Okehampton/Tavistock/Plymouth route was judged to be in the top 12.
At public consultations held in Tavistock in recent years concerning plans to reopen Tavistock to Bere Alston a significant number of people voiced their wish for a direct rail link to Exeter via Okehampton instead of them having to drive to Exeter or Tiverton Parkway.
In 1996 a ^650K contract saw Meldon Viaduct (1874/78) refurbished including new timber decking, handrails, steel work repairs, complete protective painting, repairs to the masonry in the abutments and protection of the piers from scour by the river. On a recent visit I could find no rust scale ..unlike some operational bridges.

It is good to see the main Petition for an Alternative/Diversionary route for Plymouth & Cornwall rail traffic has almost doubled in a day to reach nearly 550.
For those not yet aware this is it :- 
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/60302
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 08, 2014, 23:43:25 »

I'd be signing that petition if it included the inland route as an option. As I said upthread, all options should be looked at and properly costed. Impact and socio-economic benefits need to be assessed. Concentrating on the former LSWR (London South Western Railway) route does nothing to assist Torbay's transport connections when there are issues with the existing line.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 09, 2014, 10:58:18 »

I agree with BNM that we cannot abandon Torbay, one of the West's (if not the UK (United Kingdom)'s) premier tourist areas, so the line, in one form or another, will take priority in funding.  The logic of that is that the Okehampton/Tavistock route will probably be only considered as a diversionary route as the population doesn't warrant a full scale double track line - although a local service would be welcome no doubt.  In the current climate of 'austerity', I suspect only one route will get the money.  It would be astounding if money were found for a new/restored 'Southern' route and a line nearer the current route.

Of course, if Devon and Cornwall left the UK and formed an alliance with an independent Scotland things might be different  Grin.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 09, 2014, 11:18:36 »

That's why I think a new line from Exminster to Newton Abbott is the better option. It'll give journey time benefits all year round, both to Torbay and Cornwall. The existing line would be retained for local traffic (Network Rail need to maintain the sea defences anyway unless someone relieves them of that obligation). 
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #402 on: February 09, 2014, 11:33:07 »

My view would be that the sea wall should be repaired as quickly as possible and the line restored, followed by a firm plan to reopen Okehampton Bere Alston as a diversionary route with a local and perhaps even a couple of London trains whilst plans are draw up for an inland route from Exeter to Newton Abbot which it seems will be required in the next 40 years.

Also at the same time complete redoubling from Castle Cary to Pinhoe (?) should be considered.

The one good thing to come out theese disruptions is hopefully the growing realisation in government that rail is only form of viable long distance transport to areas such as the West Country.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 09, 2014, 11:53:14 »

Taking BNM's points on board, and a little googling around the Dawlish Avoiding Line, has completely persuaded me that the DAL is the way forward.

However given that the sea wall has to be maintained, and that around 30,000 people live in Dawlish and Teignmouth, the coastal route should be kept for local services. A single line (with perhaps a loop at Dawlish Warren?) would surely suffice for that, giving scope to beef up the sea wall.

Much as I'd love to see the LSWR (London South Western Railway) route restored, I can't see how you could justify it.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 09, 2014, 12:31:17 »

The May 1968 closure of the "Southern" line from Okehampton (more correctly from Meldon) to Bere Alston WASN'T popular with the operating department of BR (British Rail(ways)).

Cost savings such as De-staffing of stations, reductions in signal boxes etc could have been made (but the NUR wasn't up for anything like that) but the biggest reason given to close the line was the state of Meldon viaduct and the cost of it's maintenance.

Ok there was a speed restriction on Meldon viaduct of 20 MPH, but that hardly effects a railway line, take the Royal Albert Bridge at Saltash a similar length to Meldon with a 15 MPH restriction.
And if Meldon was in such a poor state why was it used as a Head Shunt for Heavy Loaded stone trains up till the late 1980's?

The Loss of the Southern line was unforgiveable, how many realise that during 1969 during a breach of the Seawall at Dawlish, whilst passengers had to transfer to road services from Exeter to Newton Abbot BR ran at least 2 trains fron Exeter to Plymouth via Okehampton and Tavistock.

Indeed concern about the coastal section of the Exeter-Plymouth line saw BR buying back parts of the trackbed of the Teign Valley line, which at one time gave a second route between Exeter and Newton Abbot.

With a 20 mile gap between Meldon and Bere Alston, and 1/3 of that to reopen under the plans for Tavistock to regain Trains, it's an inexpensive option (as opposed to new lines) to rebuild Meldon to Bere Alston.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: