17:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:15 Penzance to Exeter St Davids
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 19:38:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[86] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Just this once ...  (Read 6416 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 06, 2020, 19:33:12 »

A once in a lifetime day - the day that (according to the state) I'm retired.  I start collecting my pension - though it's paid the end of th emonth in arrears.  I celebrate - though it's not my birthday as (at the moment) the government is cranking retirement age later and I've just caught up with it. I have my bus pass - but am locked down, and in any case all the buses to Bath from our place have been withdrawn. And I'm a man of leisure now - though a one hour meeting and a 90 minute seminar, with preparations and follow ups (follow ups for seminar to be written up at first light) make me wonder what the definition of "leisure" is and what has changed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 19:45:46 »

If I had a pound for every time I heard “I’ve never been so busy since I retired” I’d be a lot richer.  Grin

Seriously though congratulations on reaching your latest milestone.  As well as your bus pass gathering dust you also have a senior railcard itching to be used.   Let’s hone it is not long before you can use one or both.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 19:56:05 »

If I had a pound for every time I heard “I’ve never been so busy since I retired” I’d be a lot richer.  Grin

Seriously though congratulations on reaching your latest milestone.  As well as your bus pass gathering dust you also have a senior railcard itching to be used.   Let’s hone it is not long before you can use one or both.

I'm looking forward to catching the bus down to the station and carrying on to ... it could be anywhere from Abbey Wood to Ystrad Rhondda. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 05:10:10 »

Ystrad Rhondda?

I think you will find our English bus pass's are not valid in Wales,although I THINK they are valid to the Newport(South Wales) area from Bristol.

Maybe some one who has used their bus into South Wales could clarify
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 05:34:45 »

Ystrad Rhondda?

I think you will find our English bus pass's are not valid in Wales,although I THINK they are valid to the Newport(South Wales) area from Bristol.

Maybe some one who has used their bus into South Wales could clarify

I expect to pay 66% on my railcard once I transfer to the train.

ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) cards are valid on international local buses all the way - so the Severnside Express (I think it is called) is covered to Newport ... except I think it got cut back to Chepstow, then First sold or gave the route so Stagecoach (last Autumn) and Stagecoach are pulling out as well now.

Although South Wales and West of England are working together in a "Western Gateway business partnership" - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cross-border-western-gateway-will-form-new-powerhouse-in-uk-economy - the public transport between them could do with a bit of attention.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 06:38:01 »

Coach and Bus Week

Stagecoach West has announced the withdrawal of its Severn Express and X14 services between Newport, Chepstow and Bristol from Sunday 14 June 2020. “Since September we’ve worked hard to manage a service that costs far more to operate than it collects in customer revenue. We took action in January to stop running trips carrying the fewest people, prioritising the busiest parts of the service. Unfortunately, through to February the remaining buses continued to run at a loss of more than £5,000 per week. This loss is no longer sustainable and is preventing investment in the rest of our network,” said the company, announcing the decision. The existing emergency service will continue until the withdrawal date.

CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 06:49:07 »

Congratulations Graham on reaching and passing another milestone in life. I passed the same milestone some years ago. Haven't claimed my state pension, it increases 3% or 6% (can't remember which) each year you delay claiming it. Plus I still have a job that pays me more than the pension. You will also have the pleasure of more immunisations as you get older. I qualify for shingles next year.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 07:35:24 »

What has not helped the bus's is the removal of the bridge toll.

When the train takes you right into Cardiff central,I can understand the withdrawing of the bus services.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 11:15:00 »

Congratulations Graham on reaching and passing another milestone in life. I passed the same milestone some years ago. Haven't claimed my state pension, it increases 3% or 6% (can't remember which) each year you delay claiming it. Plus I still have a job that pays me more than the pension. You will also have the pleasure of more immunisations as you get older. I qualify for shingles next year.

Completely off topic, but when you do the calculation it is one of those packages that looks attractive on first sight but the devil is in the detail.

SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) was one of the last women to be entitled to her pension at 60. She deferred it for a few years, mainly because she wasn't entitled to much anyway because a large anount of her working life was spent in South Africa. The deal was (for her and I don't think it has changed) is that for each year she deferred it she got an increase of 10%. To illustrate the point quickly here is a back of a fag packet calculation:

Let's just say for simplicity that her pension was £10 per week or £520pa. If she deferred for a year she would get £11 per week. or £572pa, an increase of £52pa. For ever. Very nice thank you.

Or is it?

In order to get that extra £52pa she has gone without the £520 she would have got in the first year. To completely recoup that lost £520 will actually take 10 years. And that length of time increases the longer you defer it. If one should meet with the proverbial double decker bus, or wake up dead one morning after a heart attack in the night, it is very easy to lose money on a deferral - very easy indeed.

I once has a drinking partner in the Two Pigs in Corsham who had a comfortable MOD pension to live on. and decided to defer his state pension because, to quote his words, "it would all go in tax." Well of course it wouldn't have all gone in tax (but you couldn't tell him that), but he went after a short illness aged 67. He never saw a penny of his state pension.

My advice to anybody in this situation is to take the money and shove it in the bank if you don't need it. You never know what tomorrow may bring...
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 12:09:28 »

Under the older system for State pensions which applied up to April 2016, a deferral, or a suspension, of state pension earned you an additional 10% pa, or 1% for every 5 weeks, on eventual payment.

The new system gives a deal worth about half that rate.

It is a little known fact that one can suspend payment of a state pension which is already current. I happen to be doing this just now simply to avoid payment of too much higher rate tax. This is a luxury that is not likely to be repeated and soon I will reclaim the pension and probably become fully retired once again. The suspension option can only be exercised on one occasion during retirement but clearly for as long as it is required.   
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 12:24:00 »

It is a little known fact that one can suspend payment of a state pension which is already current. I happen to be doing this just now simply to avoid payment of too much higher rate tax.
A very nice problem to have!

At over £9,000 a year, if you have two in the family unit the full state pension is really not that bad these days, particularly if topped up by a private pension of some sorts.  I do wonder whether the "triple lock" which increases it each year by the minimum of average earnings/CPI/2.5% is too generous now, as it means that over years the amount is drifting upwards in real terms.  Nice if society can afford it, but with massive numbers of baby boomers reaching pension age soon, it does seem to be creating a generational inequality.  (Takes cover and waits for the bricks to start flying over my head!)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 12:38:46 »

My advice to anybody in this situation is to take the money and shove it in the bank if you don't need it. You never know what tomorrow may bring...

Hmmm ... happy to comment in generality but not exactly going into personal finances on the public board.   Clearly a topic of great interest (in generality) to many of our members.

The choice was carefully made.    I would not go as far as Robin in saying "My advice to anybody in this situation is to take the money" ... rather my advise would be to very carefully look at your own circumstances, options, and what may or may not happen in the future.    For me, various facts meant that the decision was heavily weighed to "take it now"  and I suspect that would be the case for a high proportion of people.

I was NOT aware of the 'suspend it later if you wish' option - thanks for that; I have learned and squirrelled the fact away, probably only ever of academic interest but knowing the options is forearmed.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 13:02:32 »

Nice if society can afford it, but with massive numbers of baby boomers reaching pension age soon, it does seem to be creating a generational inequality.  (Takes cover and waits for the bricks to start flying over my head!)

Hmmm ... the pension age has been crept up ... ladies from 60 to 66 and going further I believe, so it that more money for a shorter period - has life expectancy gone up by that same number of years, or more, or less.   Yes, look at the number of baby boomers but also consider they've been putting funds in for so many years and there were more of them doing that too. And finally take a look at changes in life expectancy - will the figures be dented by a disproportionate number of people passing on at the moment?

Hopefully you don't take those questions as a brick.

Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 14:08:59 »

A brick? Only in the sense that I don't know the answer to any of them, but they are very good challenges. I know that the increase in women's pensions was driven by the need for equality (which I agree with, maybe surprisingly as I have been caught by it, but unlike many didn't pretend that I didn't know about it for the last 20 years) - but the men's pension is increasing from 65 to 67 too, so that's probably the one to compare with life expectancy increases.

You're right, there must be a pension saving of some sorts from people dying early from the pandemic, though (and this is pure guesswork), I bet it's dwarfed by the total cost of the wretched virus to the country once this has all played out.

Oh, and best wishes for a long and happy "retirement" too though I suspect it's more in name than reality from the number of things you seem to be involved with.   
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 14:41:08 »

Nice if society can afford it, but with massive numbers of baby boomers reaching pension age soon, it does seem to be creating a generational inequality.  (Takes cover and waits for the bricks to start flying over my head!)

Hmmm ... the pension age has been crept up ... ladies from 60 to 66 and going further I believe, so it that more money for a shorter period - has life expectancy gone up by that same number of years, or more, or less.   Yes, look at the number of baby boomers but also consider they've been putting funds in for so many years and there were more of them doing that too. And finally take a look at changes in life expectancy - will the figures be dented by a disproportionate number of people passing on at the moment?

Up to a point, about baby boomers. The generational label is based on the timing of the USA's boom - their post-war rise in birthrate - within 1950-1965. In Britain, there was the bulge - 1947, plus a bit of 1946 and 1948 - then a big dip. Our boom was later, during the 1960s, say within 1959-1968. The true booms were shorter, though how much does depend what you mean by. So our years of high population, if that's what "baby boomers" means, have barely started to plan retirement yet. See attached birth graphs (absolute numbers per year).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: