22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:34 Didcot Parkway to Banbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 09:18:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[109] access for all at Devon stations report
[49] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[30] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[20] Cornish delays
[19] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrexham & Shropshire launch date  (Read 46606 times)
willc

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2008, 14:19:13 »

Not sure if this is the best place, but since Banbury is the only point where Wrexham & Shropshire touches the FGW (First Great Western) network, here goes.

Wrexham & Shrophire's passenger service launch date will be Monday, April 28.
See http://www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.uk/item.php?id=22&type=1

As they are still waiting for their own refurbished Mk3 coaches to arrive - held up by the delays at Marcroft in Stoke completing the Grand Central fleet - they are going to hire Mk3s from Cargo-D's charter fleet to start operations. Not clear yet if they will be DVT(resolve)-operated at the start, or top and tail 67s, which the test trains are. W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) trains will stop at Banbury to pick up northbound passengers and drop off southbound, running non-stop to and from Marylebone.

Traction will be hired EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))) Class 67s in a special livery (67012-15). Couple have been finished at Toton so far, see http://geoffdoncaster18.fotopic.net/p49463043.html

I have seen a suggestion that they are going to be running a full shadow service in the timetabled paths from April 22, to get staff in the swing of things, ahead of the public launch - probably hoping to avoid the problems that have dogged Grand Central - and there are a lot of training trips out there already.

There was some discussion previously of this service and Virgin's new Wrexham peak train to and from London Euston in the Pullman thread in Across the West.

Virgin will be running a five-car Voyager (extension of existing Chester services) but this is a pretty cynical spoiling move, as they have never shown any interest in the town until now.

In any case, W&S's real target is Shropshire, where Virgin's name is mud, after they took over from BR (British Rail(ways)) with loud promises about reinstating through trains from London to Telford and Shrewsbury, then discovered why BR had stopped doing it - the expense of having a diesel and driver specially at Wolverhampton and paying for shunters to couple and uncouple the loco - and dropped the service again.

There is also likely to be good demand at the stations between Shrewsbury and Wrexham, which, up until the end of the BR diesel operations, had at least one service direct from London on Friday evenings, which ran through to Chester (does anyone know if there was a return on Sundays, I'm not sure about that?). Journey times are quite long, but I'm sure the convenience of the through trains will be a winner with a lot of people.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 14:33:15 »

More on this from the Save The Train Forum including a willc article (link below.)
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6724.msg11259#msg11259

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 18:51:38 »

I, too, think that Virign are mean for doing that.

It will just steal a high proportion of the profit peak passengers!

And, if the Shrewsbury service is successful, I would not stop thinking that Virgin might have a re-think.

Angry
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 22:07:54 »

Further Oxford Mail article link.
http://www.oxfordmail.net/news/headlines/display.var.2184501.0.new_train_link_on_line.php

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Tinminer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 18:08:43 »

I'm intrigued by the 'rail competition rules'.

How do these come (and not come) into play, and who decides?

There are obviously several routes that operate over the same path, but use different operators (e.g South West Trains and FGW (First Great Western) between London & Torquay/Plymouth/ Exeter). I know it is a different London terminus, but it is still London!

Don't Chiltern Trains (or whatever they are called now) also cover Banbury, as well as FGW?
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 18:12:07 »

The rail competition rules are really only in the West Coast mainline franchise agreement - this is due to the amount of potential loss there was to be made in this particular franchise, as a result no open access operator are permitted to directly compete with Virgin West Coast unless instructed to do so by the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about).
Steve44

I quite like thames turbos...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 01:09:35 »

Also.. The banbury stop on the route is only for picking up north-bound passengers, and dropping off south-bound, so it won't really affect chiltern or FGW (First Great Western).
Tinminer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 13:08:05 »

Also.. The banbury stop on the route is only for picking up north-bound passengers, and dropping off south-bound, so it won't really affect chiltern or FGW (First Great Western).
Yes, that was my point!

If Banbury residents could catch Wrexham & Shropshire (W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator))) trains to London, instead of FGW or Chiltern it would:

1. Make fares more competitive.
2. Reduce over-crowding.
3. Make the W&S more viable.

But, hey, I'm stupid, privatising the railways was not about improving service, or choice, or the experience for passengers was it? Wink
gwr2006

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 13:57:54 »

Yes, that was my point!

If Banbury residents could catch Wrexham & Shropshire (W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator))) trains to London, instead of FGW or Chiltern it would:

1. Make fares more competitive.
2. Reduce over-crowding.
3. Make the W&S more viable.

But, hey, I'm stupid, privatising the railways was not about improving service, or choice, or the experience for passengers was it? Wink

5 trains each weekday, 4 on Saturdays and 3 on Sunday is not going to have any impact on fares or over-crowding, when there are 2 direct trains each hour to London (and 2 more each hour with connections via Oxford).
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 14:56:37 »

It could have an impact on fares, remember, Grand Central only run three trains a day yet NXEC (National Express East Coast) essentially forced ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) to force GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) to introduce a peak time supplement!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 15:30:33 »

If Banbury residents could catch Wrexham & Shropshire (W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator))) trains to London, instead of FGW (First Great Western) or Chiltern

Half of W&S is owned by Laing Rail, aka Deutsche Bahn, the parent company of Chiltern Railways, so not a competitive issue there.

I'm not entirely sure how Banbury gets into the West Coast franchise competition clauses equation (and does anyone other than Virgin, DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)'s lawyers know what it all means really?), but I have always understood that was why it was pick-up and set-down only there, as with Wolverhampton.

It is probably over the revenue-splitting arrangements in the West Midlands. CrossCountry links Wolverhampton and Banbury, and shares West Coast tracks north of Coventry or Birmingham, so I think that is where the answer lies.

Certainly it's not about Laing Rail competing with itself for traffic from Banbury to and from London and no-one does the journey on FGW as it takes far longer via Oxford and Reading.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 17:32:17 »

It is probably over the revenue-splitting arrangements in the West Midlands. CrossCountry links Wolverhampton and Banbury, and shares West Coast tracks north of Coventry or Birmingham, so I think that is where the answer lies.

From what I understand of the situation that's the actual reason but there are a few more complicating issues other than that (please don't ask me to go through them as I don't completely understand a few of the contractual reasons myself - seem rather pointless to me).
willc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 00:09:08 »

W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)) website is now ready for start of services, with fares and other ticket information - emphasis on getting tickets texted to your mobile phone, online purchase not up-and-running just yet - plus on board services.

http://www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.uk/index.php

For more info and pictures of test trains this week, see http://www.nwrail.org.uk

Click on the noticeboard news and views link on the homepage.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 17:10:47 »

looks excellent.

Hopefully the Virgin service will not affect it too much; they will be established by December, they have more of a personal/friendly touch, their journey time might be quicker in the next timetable!
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 07:24:06 »

willc article link on today's launch.
http://www.oxfordmail.net/news/headlines/display.var.2228624.0.new_rail_link_takes_to_tracks.php

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: