Delayed
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
18:10 Gloucester to Westbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 19:34:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[106] access for all at Devon stations report
[68] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[24] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[4] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[3] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there any GWR Keilbahnhöfe?  (Read 7869 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2020, 07:40:30 »

Somewhat further afield, but Perth (Scotland, not WA) has yet to be mentioned.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2020, 08:02:17 »

Morfa Maddach in its former guise as Barmouth Junction was on GWR (Great Western Railway)
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2020, 09:20:14 »

Manchester Piccadilly and Clapham Junction?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2020, 09:26:49 »

Potentially, yes ... my original reading was of there being a platform where you could walk up to the junction end on the platform from one line and then back down the platform on the other line - a platform in the centre between the lines.   Reading back, that may have been over-intepretting.  And that brings to mind St Budeaux where it's near as darn it one station (certainly treated for such in that you cannot buy a ticket from one to the other) and the platforms are after the junction on the side of the old main line towards Exeter, and the branch that struck out ... wait - have I got that the wrong way round?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2020, 10:00:05 »

In olden days, what about Cholsey and Bodmin?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2020, 10:38:04 »

Somewhat further afield, but Perth (Scotland, not WA) has yet to be mentioned.

There's some more Scottish examples - Kilwinning is a classic: it even has the station building and access in the "V". Dalmuir is another, though a bit more cramped. And what about Motherwell, Graham?

Paisley Gilmour Street is one for its track layout, but not its geometry. And Keith, what's left of it, if you count the line to Dufftown.
alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2020, 10:42:20 »

Plymstock Station?

"A view of Plymstock station looking into the split between the two branches - the metals to the left going to Yealmpton and those to right heading onto an embankment and across the bridge the parapets of which can be be seen in the second picture of the Turnchapel branch 1961 Copyright Sid Sponheimer"

Image from the Cornwall Railway Society website - http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/turnchapel-branch.html#
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2020, 10:48:26 »

Kemble of old?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemble_railway_station#/media/File:Kemble_station_platforms.jpg
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2020, 10:54:58 »

Have I missed inverness on reading through the above? - and going back, my memory of the layout at Durston is hazy,  but the platform leading onto the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) via Lyng may have been angled.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2020, 11:04:20 »

Pontarddulais on the Heart of Wales line....

my image from 1978
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2020, 11:23:03 »

Potentially, yes ... my original reading was of there being a platform where you could walk up to the junction end on the platform from one line and then back down the platform on the other line - a platform in the centre between the lines.   Reading back, that may have been over-intepretting.  And that brings to mind St Budeaux where it's near as darn it one station (certainly treated for such in that you cannot buy a ticket from one to the other) and the platforms are after the junction on the side of the old main line towards Exeter, and the branch that struck out ... wait - have I got that the wrong way round?

There are others that look like definite maybes - like Watford Junction (on a technicality), or Willesden Junction (but likely to be overturned by VAR). But the north-west does seem to have the most; have you though of Dinting? Kidsgrove and Cheadle Hulme? Liverpool South Parkway is another one that depends on how you look at it, as is Bolton, while Stetchford, Wilmslow, and Wrexham General are safer bets.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2020, 12:33:14 »

Marks Tey. Also, if my memory serves me right, Seaton Junction

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2020, 16:49:31 »

Yelverton?

Sorry, I've re-read your original question properly now and see that you are asking about current day GWR (Great Western Railway)(of course!), which neither of my suggestions fall into

Nothing to see here, carry on... Grin
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2020, 17:07:09 »

Hither Green, I was there today and it fits

Brixton?

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2020, 17:23:53 »

What about Pitsea in Essex. You can get off a train coming up from Grays walk across to the platform to catch a train to Basildon.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: