DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningShort Run
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 16:02:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[103] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[93] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[40] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[7] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[5] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Pershore Station Developments  (Read 24370 times)
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2020, 10:34:59 »

The Ticket machine has arrived
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 10:58:20 »

Card only I presume?  Not wise to have anything with cash in it at that sort of location!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 13:12:32 »

It is Indeed card only.
Not sure why the top panel still has the protective covering in place when the machine appears to be operational.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 16:42:33 »

Not been there for some time
could I ask if Pershore is just a one track station or does it have two lines?
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 17:06:03 »

Only a single track

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 17:07:40 »

Part of the Cotswold line development plan is to Double from Evesham to just west of Pershore.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 11:28:54 »

Part of the Cotswold line development plan is to Double from Evesham to just west of Pershore.

I can't help thinking that a better use of money (and probably less of it) would be to remove the bottleneck of the single junction at Norton Junction and lay a train-length of double line from there towards Evesham, which would ease operation eastwards from Worcester quote considerably, as an Up train waiting on the Main Line at Norton Jcn for a Down train to come off the single line could stand clear of anything requiring the Abbotswood Jcn route.

A mirror image of this at Wolvercote Jcn would help at the Oxford end of the line, too.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 11:41:58 »

Well, the task force evaluated all sensible options before reaching their conclusions.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 20:31:58 »

I can't help thinking that a better use of money (and probably less of it) would be to remove the bottleneck of the single junction at Norton Junction and lay a train-length of double line from there towards Evesham, which would ease operation eastwards from Worcester quote considerably, as an Up train waiting on the Main Line at Norton Jcn for a Down train to come off the single line could stand clear of anything requiring the Abbotswood Jcn route.

A mirror image of this at Wolvercote Jcn would help at the Oxford end of the line, too.

Indeed. They should have redoubled from Norton to Worcestershire Parkway as part of that scheme - it’s about quarter of a mile. Ships and ha’p’orths of tar.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 20:37:30 »

Well, the task force evaluated all sensible options before reaching their conclusions.

Though (choosing my words carefully here) the county council representatives on the taskforce have their own local agendas, of course, which the taskforce recommendations mirror very closely.

Or to put it another way, the answers you get depend on the questions you ask.

I'm going to enjoy doing a bit of campaigning for the Oxfordshire County Council elections next year. Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 21:22:59 »

I'm going to enjoy doing a bit of campaigning for the Oxfordshire County Council elections next year. Cheesy

Would that be in the role of supporting a candidate, or being one?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 21:50:32 »

Definitely supporting! Our county councillor here is excellent (and represents, er, my favoured party). But there are a few marginals not too far from here where a little bit of shoe-leather could make a difference...
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 10:28:18 »

Indeed. They should have redoubled from Norton to Worcestershire Parkway as part of that scheme - it’s about quarter of a mile. Ships and ha’p’orths of tar.

Providing a lengthy second platform atop the embankment would have been very costly, though.  The building of the station was hideously costly as it was.

However, I do look forward to the day when the whole route is double track.  It would solve a lot of the problems that travellers on this route routinely have to endure

There won't be enough money in the post-Covid19 economy to chuck at a project like a full re-doubling, but maybe that won't stop it being spent, as a stimulus now, for our great grandchildren to pay for when they inherit all this "free money" debt
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 12:17:46 »

There won't be enough money in the post-Covid19 economy to chuck at a project like a full re-doubling, but maybe that won't stop it being spent, as a stimulus now, for our great grandchildren to pay for when they inherit all this "free money" debt

What money is available for post-Covid is rather more complex than people seem to think.

Firstly we are talking about macro-economics rather than the usual micro-economics and that rather depends on which brand of macro-economic theory our politicians are signed up to.

Secondly just as a business does we need to differentiate investment from day to day expenditure.

Looking at macro-economics first.

1) If a business is loosing money it can cut its costs by making people redundant. It no longer bears the cost of paying them.  However, unless they get another job government must now not only pick up the cost of paying them benefits, but it has also lost the money they paid in tax. In addition they will spend less money (because they do not have it) so the overall economy looses out (see point 2).

2) When the likes of you and I receive a salary we immediately (through PAYE) pay some of it to the government. We then pay a lot more of it out to other businesses to provide for our essential needs and some luxuries. These businesses in turn pay a proportion of that out to their employees who in turn pay taxes and buy more things part of which goes to employees of other businesses ans so on.  The effect is that putting say £1M into the economy creates many £millions of economic activity and quite a lot of that comes back the the government in tax. This is the whole basis of Keynesian macro-economic theory. 

3) The amount by which this £1M is multiplied depends on what you spend it on and where. If I spend my salary at the local farm shop and other local business then it benefits the local economy.  If I spend it on imported Chinese electronic goods then the economy of China benefits from that part and the taxes on that component go to the Chinese government. From a government point of view stimulus money gets most benefit when the highest proportion of it is spent on local (UK (United Kingdom)) wages. One of the best ways to do this is to spend it on public works and this was the reason for the massive road and rail construction programmes of the 1930's which included major improvements to the GWR (Great Western Railway).

4) Another form of stimulus is to reduce the amount of taxes people pay and this leads to one of the more controversial aspects of macro-economic policy. Tax breaks only benefit those who pay tax so they tend to disproportionately benefit the more wealthy. The theory is that this still filters down to the poorer people through the so called trickle down factor as they spend this money. However the evidence is that the more wealthy don't spend that much more when they get a tax cut, they simply save more, which does not benefit the economy. So look for which approach the Chancellor takes in his next budget.   

Turning now to the difference between investment and day to day expenditure.

5) In some ways this is no difference to business investment. So a business that is expanding may take on more staff or it may invest in plant to increase the productivity of its existing staff (I generalise here). In a recession businesses are unlikely to do this as they have no guarantee of a return on their investment.  Governments, on the other hand can choose to invest for a more general public good.  The advantages of increasing capital spending (investment) is that it is only committed for a set period of time and can be turned off when the economy recovers.  Increasing day to day expenditure (for example by employing more doctors and nurses) is that this becomes in practice an indefinite commitment to the increased expenditure.

6) Deciding on what to invest in to stimulate the economy also needs to take account of timescales.  It could choose to invest in some totally new mega projects - but these are likely to take years to plan and design before most of the money is spent.  A plan to build a new hospital where there has been no prior work will probably only start spending significant money in 5 to 10 years time.  I am not sure how long it took to plan and design the Dawlish cut off in the 1930's but it was too long as although construction started in the spring of 1939 it was almost immediately stopped in the autumn of the same year!  So government will be looking for "shovel ready projects".  That is why I think there is almost no likelihood that HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) phase 1 will be cancelled.

This is a very round about way of responding to your point. But I will now come back to it.

I think there will be a significant amount of money available for projects that can show a public benefit provided that they can be started on the ground well before the next election. Local authorities know this so the most astute of them will be trotting out the projects they have been working on for some time like Metro West and the Cotswold line improvements.  The rail reopening projects could also be part of this though I wouldn't like to bet on the ones where there has been little planning. A small improvement like additional double track over a short length and a new platform at Worcestershire parkway I would not rule out either if a case can be made. 

The cynic in me also suggests that some of the money will be targeted where it can have the most electoral benefit so those who live an safe Tory seats should start making them look more like marginals in order to get more of the funding!   
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 18:23:06 »

What money is available for post-Covid is rather more complex than people seem to think.

Firstly we are talking about macro-economics rather than the usual micro-economics and that rather depends on which brand of macro-economic theory our politicians are signed up to......

Very well put.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: