29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 01:04:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Padding overkill  (Read 24366 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 06:47:33 »

I've said it before, so I'll say it again, no-one wants shuttles. They may appear reliable, but often aren't, especially over longer distances, and people do not like changing trains. A crude comparison of passenger numbers in pre-Turbo days up to 1992, with those since, with almost all trains through to/from London, is all you need to demonstrate this.

Is there any chance that you could post some of the passenger numbers in pre-Turbo days up to 1992 on the forum, willc? I would be interested in having a look at them.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
willc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 22:52:42 »

Lee,

For detailed numbers, you would probably be best trying the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about), who I think have stats going back for most of the 30 years they have been around. I have put some numbers I can find without too much detective work below, and also something on the instant effect of the full Turbo timetable in 1993. You were often spoiled for choice of seats when using a two-car Sprinter off peak before then.

During a House of Commons transport debate in April 1994, Peter Luff, then the Tory MP (Member of Parliament) for Worcester (he now represents a rural chunk of the county, including the Vale of Evesham) said: "Investment in rail is also proceeding. The Cotswold Line Promotion Group, in its winter 1993^94 newsletter, described the effect of ^3 million of investment in new rolling stock: The new service of modern Class 165 and 166 Turbo trains through to and from Paddington is now beginning to pay handsome dividends. Mike Haigh, District Manager for Regional Railways (Central) has recently told the Group that passenger numbers, since the introduction of the trains in May 1993, are 25 per cent up and revenue is 32 per cent up on the same period last year".

The winter issue of Cotswold and Malvern Line News usually appears in late November, or early December each year, so the figures he quotes are probably for the first five or six months of Turbos - that is how dramatic the hike in passenger numbers was. Regional Railways are mentioned because under BR (British Rail(ways)) they managed the route, even though the Turbos were Network SouthEast's

Not directly related to that period I'm afraid, but these are annual passenger figures for the principal staffed intermediate stations on the route.

In order 1977, 1979, 2003, 2005, 2006
Charlbury: 65,494; 81,152; 229,000; 236,749; 232,040
Kingham: 31,258; 36,615; 121,318; 124,462; 126,995
Moreton-in-M: 56,370; 68,193; 176,893; 180,458; 178,004
Evesham: 114,645; 130,198; 240,174; 269,474; 239,257

2005-6 was when the reliability problems began to take a toll on passenger numbers, though oddly that year Combe, Finstock and Ascott-under-Wychwood numbers were all up. I've yet to see the 2007 numbers.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 23:14:41 »

I bet those values will boom once a reliable hourly HST (High Speed Train) service starts (with Firstminutefares)!! Grin
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 06:56:03 »

Not directly related to that period I'm afraid, but these are annual passenger figures for the principal staffed intermediate stations on the route.

In order 1977, 1979, 2003, 2005, 2006
Charlbury: 65,494; 81,152; 229,000; 236,749; 232,040
Kingham: 31,258; 36,615; 121,318; 124,462; 126,995
Moreton-in-M: 56,370; 68,193; 176,893; 180,458; 178,004
Evesham: 114,645; 130,198; 240,174; 269,474; 239,257

2005-6 was when the reliability problems began to take a toll on passenger numbers, though oddly that year Combe, Finstock and Ascott-under-Wychwood numbers were all up. I've yet to see the 2007 numbers.

Many thanks for that, willc.

Do you think that the rise in Combe, Finstock and Ascott-under-Wychwood numbers could be linked to the quote below? :

Between 2002-4, a two-car Turbo left London at about 17.15, then Oxford at 18.23 as the halts train (17 minutes behind the first Hereford service) under a special exemption from the franchise requirement of a departure from Oxford at about 5.30pm. The exemption was scrapped by the SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) the December after FGW (First Great Western) took over. One thing this  period proved was there is no demand for a halts train at this time of day. The number of people getting off at the halts dwindled - I was never entirely sure how some of those I saw using the morning train into Oxford got back to Combe, Finstock and Ascott. They reappeared once the departure went back to 17.25.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
willc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 10:38:32 »

I don't think there was a connection with the timing of the halts train, as Shipton's numbers went down 2005-6 and Finstock was still well below 2003, despite rising.

I'd say it's more to do with people's travelling habits, as the counts at the halts are pretty low to start with (low to mid four figures). Just one or two opting to commute by train or dropping out could shift the number up or down quite a lot.
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 15:22:20 »

Another example of padding overkill, the 1231 Charlbury to Paddington, departed Charlbury 6minutes late, waited outside Oxford for 5minutes until allowed to enter station because we were too early to get access to the station.

Scheduled at 27minutes, 11 minutes of which was late/waiting for platform to clear and still managed to leave Oxford on time.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 20:06:59 »

This padding lark is getting ridiculus.

People who do not realise about the padding, will assume the train is being delayed, and tell thier friends that the line is unreliable!

Oh.....but............ Grin

No seriously, when will they realise that padding does not help?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 16:35:29 »

As much slack as there is, without it any cock ups further along the line cause more substantial problems. I'd blame the single line.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 18:09:09 »

As much slack as there is, without it any cock ups further along the line cause more substantial problems. I'd blame the single line.

The more slack there is, the more slack the service is operated - the staff don't bother getting the doors locked in plenty of time because they assume they will make up time - when in reality, they could delay another train, or become more delayed themselves!

This happened at Great Malvern about a week back - train rolled in (1551 to Padd) 5 mins early, and departed slightly late because the guard disappeared somewhere (I think the cafe). As it happens, it did not matter, as we rolled into Malvern Link way before 1555 (being a 180 helped). But I have seen this at Worcester, where delays cause congestion and delays.

of course, the sooner they redouble, cut the tokens, and increase speeds the better (anyone for continuous 90 mph from Worcester to Evesham?).
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 19:02:23 »

Think the CL slack is too much?

How about 1/2 hour slack Shocked (in the Wrexham and Shropshire timetable between Wellington and London)? Roll Eyes

I suppose we are lucky! Cool
willc

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 20:14:40 »

Try the 13.20 from Hereford to London. Sits for 14 minutes at Evesham and 13 at Moreton...
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 20:27:19 »

Try the 13.20 from Hereford to London. Sits for 14 minutes at Evesham and 13 at Moreton...
Angry
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 10:15:58 »

Think the CL slack is too much?

How about 1/2 hour slack Shocked (in the Wrexham and Shropshire timetable between Wellington and London)? Roll Eyes

I suppose we are lucky! Cool

See posts under Wrexham and Shropshire. Given they've got to get across Birmingham on heavily congested lines it's probably not unreasonable although regretable that we can't run our railways more to time and avoid such padding.

However:

That's totally stupid and as BTlines says:

"The more slack there is, the more slack the service is operated - the staff don't bother getting the doors locked in plenty of time because they assume they will make up time - when in reality, they could delay another train, or become more delayed themselves!"

Exactly there is fantastic quote in Gerry Fiennes I'd Tried to Run a Railway (voted joint second best railwayman (ever) in Alan Williams poll in Modern Railways) about the electric service out of Liverpool Street to Shenfield  in the late 50s early 60s. It's something like. "The trains rolls in the doors open passengers alight and 800 people get on the driver and guard change ends and 4 minutes later the train rolls out."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 09:22:31 by eightf48544 » Logged
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 20:04:53 »

Stuff like that never happens today!

At Worcester Foregate Street, it can take 10 mins for a local DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) to be turned around (even if it is late, there is no evidence to rushing/urgency).

Saw an HST (High Speed Train) terminating at Foregate to go back to London. Arrived 4 mins before dep time, and the train left about 4 late.

Yes- HSTs are long + the platform is curved the wrong way.

But I saw a lot of strolling around, and times where all doors were shut, but not being locked. The doors also seemed to be unlocked/locked several times! The platform staff did not seem to help the guards (there were 2 (!) of them - unless the buffet man was assisting in despatch).

Took too long, and probably delayed a service later on.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 20:17:45 »

Problem with HST (High Speed Train) turnrounds is you need to do a full brake test first....

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: