Delayed
14:02 Westbury to Gloucester
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 16:05:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Ashley Down Survey Closes: November 01, 2020
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: New station at Ashley Down, Bristol  (Read 31409 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2024, 00:19:44 »

I've been assuming that the bricks would be the kind they use on most modern buildings, i.e. 5mm thick and bonded to a sheet of cardboard...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2024, 15:05:00 »

Network Rail have come up with a not very informative update, but it does have a picture:
First reveal – Mayor sees new station footbridge, hails “critical milestone”

Work to build the first station in Ashley Down in 60 years has hit a “critical milestone”, according to regional Mayor Dan Norris. Funded by the West of England Mayoral Combined Authority, ‘Ashley Down Station’ is being built on the site of the previous Ashley Hill station which closed in 1964 due to the Beeching Cuts.

Mr Norris was track-side along with Cllr Don Alexander and other project partners to see for himself the brand-new footbridge installed over Christmas by Network Rail engineers.

It is scheduled to open later this year. Installation of the station footbridge completes the structural elements of the station.

Dan Norris, Metro Mayor, said: “We are at a critical milestone in getting this brand-new station built and open to Ashley Down residents to use and enjoy. I know how hard the team worked over the festive period to get this footbridge installed. It really is brilliant to see Ashley Down Station beginning to take shape. Remember the last time there was a station here – 60 years ago this year – Top of the Pops first aired, and man hadn’t yet stepped on the moon! I’m proud of my West of England Mayoral Combined Authority’s radical ‘reverse Beeching’ programme to give residents the new stations and train services they need and deserve.”
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2024, 15:17:20 »

This Network Rail tweet and short video is good.

https://twitter.com/networkrailwest/status/1756015328448872836

Great to see how quickly this project has progressed.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2024, 17:22:41 »

Here's how the brick facings to the lift towers will work. Not, as I cynically suggested, thin slivers of brick glued to a cardboard backing! Looks like it'll be thin slivers of brick hanging off stainless steel (or maybe aluminium) rails. In this picture, taken on 10th Feb, you can see that the rails have yet to be trimmed to length...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2024, 18:04:53 »

Here's how the brick facings to the lift towers will work. Not, as I cynically suggested, thin slivers of brick glued to a cardboard backing! Looks like it'll be thin slivers of brick hanging off stainless steel (or maybe aluminium) rails. In this picture, taken on 10th Feb, you can see that the rails have yet to be trimmed to length...

Still, cheaper than the traditional and hopefully durable. Few will notice, other than enraged bricklayers. I would much prefer proper brick, but I'll wager it was that or graffiti-ready rendering.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 21:03:28 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2024, 18:19:48 »

Still, cheaper than the traditional and hopefully durable. Few will notice, other than enraged bricklayers. I would much prefer proper brick, but I'll wager it was that or graffiti-ready rendering.

Not quite - from the planning decision:
Initial concerns were raised in relation to the design and appearance of the footbridge and lift shafts, which were sought to be constructed/faced entirely of grey metal cladding. The footbridge and lift shafts will be highly visible pieces of infrastructure not just within the station itself but, due to the height, within the wider townscape. As such, following Case Officer advice the design and appearance of the footbridge and lift shafts were amended.

Increased areas of glazing and void were included to the footbridge to give it a more lightweight appearance, with the use of part glazing of the parapets and open space above helping to reduce the bulk and increase transparency/visual permeability. This will also maximise safety, views and daylight for users of the bridge. A roof cover was also included to the bridge and staircases which will provide greater shelter for passengers using the bridge and station. Large scale detailed drawings of the roof covering are secured via condition to ensure it takes a slim-line appearance. Large scale detailed drawings of the staircase and glazed elements are also secured via condition. The framework of the bridge will be powder coated steel, with the roof covering to match. This is acceptable in principle; however the overall colour and finish will be finalised and determined at a later stage, secured via condition.

The lift shafts have been amended in design, with the material amended so they will be faced in red brick slips to reflect and appear in keeping with nearby development. Additional detailing in the form of darker brick banding, a ground floor canopy and grey flashing/capping to match the footbridge roof cover are also proposed. It is considered that the design and appearance of the lift shafts will now appear acceptable in principle given the context. Large scale detailed drawings of detailed design elements however are secured via condition to ensure they are of a good quality, and material sample panels of the brickwork are also secured.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2024, 12:02:09 »

Finally got around to having a look at the attached letter posted to me from Bristol City Council regarding Ashley Down Station.
It appears to be about access changes by Station Road.  A quick glance at some of the linked documents on the BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) planning site talk about amendments that require a consultation period.  I'll readily admit that I couldn't really make much head or tail of it but I hope it doesn't herald a delay in opening the station.   Anyway here's a photo of the posted letter from earlier this month.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2024, 13:59:49 »

It is all a bit confusing, but the way I read it NR» (Network Rail - home page) want to change the wording of the planning conditions from

"No development shall take place over the route of any public right of way prior to the confirmation of a Town & Country Planning Act 1990 path diversion/stopping up order"

to

"No development shall take place over the route of any public right of way prior to the application of a public path diversion/stopping up order"

Others with a greater understanding of highways law may be able to explain whether this is likely to be a significant obstacle.

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2024, 16:22:02 »

It's a technical question regarding the process for applying to divert or stop up a public right of way.

Confusingly there are two ways of doing so, either under the Highways Act or the Town & Country Planning Acts. For some reason the planning permission specified the latter, but Network Rail appears to have applied under the former.

The proposed amendment will rectify this, albeit that I would have thought that the council would want to make the prior condition the making of the Highway Act order, rather than the application.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2024, 18:02:45 »

Fingers crossed that the application won't cause any delays then.... although I'm fairly certain that a "spring 2024" opening date had been banded about until recently but now the Network ,Rail Bristol Rail Regeneration web pages mention a second half of 2024 opening time.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2024, 18:31:38 »

Fingers crossed that the application won't cause any delays then.... although I'm fairly certain that a "spring 2024" opening date had been banded about until recently but now the Network ,Rail Bristol Rail Regeneration web pages mention a second half of 2024 opening time.

I suspect that someone will invoke pre-local-election purdah rules, and as politicians usually want their photos taken beside new stations, if it doesn't open by late March then it's going to be May, with perhaps the next timetable change being the starting point?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2024, 19:41:55 »

There is one objection so far, which is to do with the removal of fruit trees. I can see no reference to fruit trees in the application, so assume this is part of the wider project. Wrong type of apple?

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2024, 13:55:26 »

Took a picture today of the "brick" cladding going up on the lift towers.  The cherry picker is preferred to scaffolding and each brick cladding piece seems to slot into the metal frame.  Apparently the unfilled horizontal bits are going to be for contrasting bricks to give it a spot of variety.
There's also much activity....and mud.... around the station access area.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2024, 17:12:21 »

Ashley Down station taking shape, with Concorde Way closure extended

23 February 2024 at 17:00

Bristol’s latest new railway station is taking shape in Ashley Down. Its platforms, footbridge, and lift are now in place following a huge effort since construction began in March 2023.

While work continues on building Bristol’s second new station, after the city’s first new station in almost a century opened last year at Portway Park & Ride, the council is leading on the project to create a gateway to the new entrance to Ashley Down station.

To carry out the station build safely, it was necessary to close Station Lane and a section of the Concorde Way walking, wheeling and cycling route. Ongoing station building works and the entrance works unfortunately require Concorde Way to remain temporarily closed for longer than anticipated.

The Secretary of State for the Department for Transport has granted an extension of the temporary closure until 30 September 2024 or until completion of the station works, whichever is earlier. It is unlikely all this extra time will be needed and work is continuing at pace to complete the new station and entrance works and to reopen Concorde Way as soon as possible.

Councillor Don Alexander, Cabinet Member for Transport, said: “I know lots of people from Ashley Down and Lockleaze will be looking forward to using their brand new station later this year, massively improving connectivity. I recently visited the station to see how works are progressing and it’s great to see it taking shape.

“It’s disappointing that the Concorde Way closure will need to be extended and I’d like to thank residents for their continued patience. This work will be well worth it, when, later this year, we have another new railway station that serves communities in Bristol.

“New railway stations, such as Ashley Down, open up sustainable transport options for communities across Bristol and the wider region, and give us an idea of the multiple benefits a mass transit system could bring, which would be truly transformative for travelling through the city.”

To complete the works safely, an extra section of Concorde Way, from Station Road to Muller Road, which is included in the closure application but has remained open so far, will need to be closed to complete the entrance works with a diversion via Ralph Road put in place.

The Ashley Down station project partnership includes the West of England Mayoral Combined Authority working with Bristol City Council, Network Rail and Great Western Railway.

The station is part of the MetroWest programme which aims to unlock opportunities for both business and pleasure for residents between Ashley Down and Temple Meads, Filton and Henbury.

When complete, Ashley Down station will initially be served by hourly trains operating between Bristol Temple Meads and Filton Abbey Wood from Monday to Saturday and a more limited service on Sundays. The service will be extended once the planned stations at North Filton and Henbury have opened.

Find out more about Ashley Down station at https://travelwest.info/projects/ashley-down-station

The gateway works involve connecting Station Road up to the entrance to the new station, making sure it offers Equality Act compliant access. It includes:

• an accessible route to the station entrance and a resting bench
  • two Disabled parking bays and a loading bay
  • improvement to the levels of Concorde Way
  • new steps from Station Road to the subway
  • new measures to reduce potential issues between cyclists and pedestrians in a narrow space, including painting ‘SLOW’ markings and improving visibility along Concorde Way near the subway
  • a crossing point to the station entrance
  • landscaping works, including flowering hedges, meadow grassland, spring flowering bulbs, planting tree and shrubs, and installing bird and bat boxes
  • lighting leading up to the station entrance
Source: Bristol City Council

PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2024, 22:03:55 »

That brick cladding on the lift towers looks rather like a modern version of mathematical tiles, adapted for modern building technologies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_tile

The appearance looks fine to me; I hope it lasts well.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: